Recipe / Item / Entity / Prototype conceptual "color"

Things that we aren't going to implement
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Recipe / Item / Entity / Prototype conceptual "color"

Post by sparr »

Many objects in Factorio come in different colors. Some are items+entities, like inserters and belts and assemblers. Some are just items, like science packs.

I'd like to have a way to read their "color" in the control stage, which would probably require a new field in the data stage to describe what is currently only present in the sprites (for sprites that don't use tint).

As things sit right now, a lot of different mods just hard-code some approximate yellow-ish color to represent yellow belts and inserters. That could be standardized and easier to keep up to date if the info was published as part of the Prototype

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Recipe / Item / Entity / Prototype conceptual "color"

Post by Rseding91 »

See: viewtopic.php?f=221&t=69367&p=423745#p423745 and my reply here is: no.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Recipe / Item / Entity / Prototype conceptual "color"

Post by sparr »

(replying here instead of there because this response would make no sense there without context)
Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 pm
Additionally, there is no such thing as a "color" for a science pack. That's a made up concept by you/others. That's why you're having such a hard time making it work: it's not a real thing. Like trying to nail imaginary jello to the wall - you're 5 problems deep in something you just can't do.
It's a *valuable* made-up concept.

Disco Science mod is just one example.

Consider my Wreckage Pollution mod, which makes "chemical spill" entities to match the colors of fluids. I can do this, because fluids do (after a modding api request that fortunately wasn't rejected) have a readable color. If I wanted to make building corpses match the "color" of the building (if it had one), I couldn't, because you say that color isn't a real thing.

Maybe I want to make a mod that allows mixing and separating of science packs, and I want my sprites to be tinted the appropriate mixed colors.

Maybe I want to make some of my biters color-sensitive, like bees seeking out yellow but not purple flowers?

Return to “Won't implement”