Request: Remove the 5-slot limit for loader filters

Things that we aren't going to implement
Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Request: Remove the 5-slot limit for loader filters

Post by Reika »

I have no idea why this is there - performance seems the most likely, though I question how much it really is - but it greatly hampers the ability to make a "blacklist" type loader, without resorting to scripted stuff which is far worse for performance than a higher limit ever would be.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Request: Remove the 5-slot limit for loader filters

Post by Rseding91 »

It's there and there for inserters for the same reason: performance. The exact same slowdown you see with large inventories is what you'd get with larger loader/inserter filters.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:41 pm
It's there and there for inserters for the same reason: performance. The exact same slowdown you see with large inventories is what you'd get with larger loader/inserter filters.
But given that the workaround is even worse for performance, is there not a "lesser of two evils" at play here?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

For inserters the hacky mod way is to place a second/third/etc invisible inserter in the same tile until you get enough filters :|. For loaders you can't do that because only one per tile works. I personally wouldn't mind if the moddability limit was increased to 10, though i can see the case where that instantly spawns a mod that increases it for everything (and gets a very high download count...) *sigh*.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The fact that it's slower when mods try to work around it isn't a primary concern. The base game needs to remain fast and if possible make mods fast as well. Currently I can't do both so the base game gets preferential treatment.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:18 am
The fact that it's slower when mods try to work around it isn't a primary concern. The base game needs to remain fast and if possible make mods fast as well. Currently I can't do both so the base game gets preferential treatment.
Is it not possible to implement it such that an unmodified 5-slot loader is not any worse than it is now, but a modified loader can be whatever it needs? i.e. somehow making the performance cost proportional not to the "allowable" limit, but the actual specified prototype limits?

Return to “Won't implement”