Request: Research based drop access.

Things that we aren't going to implement
Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Request: Research based drop access.

Post by Buggi »

While the Subject of the thread was tough to decide on, here's basically what I want to do. I'm using Bob's mods and have alien artifacts enabled so the biters drop little colored orbs.

I wanted to mod in a research branch that MODIFIED the drop count and chance of these orbs. I scoured the WIKI for possible ways to do this and discovered either it's not possible, or not well documented.

Basically on research complete, run a function that parses through the enemies and modifies the variables I need, with a multiplier on the level of research completed.

Any help would be appreciated, and if it is indeed not possible, consider it a request :D
- Buggi -
Here's my Humble YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexibleGames

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Request: Research based drop access.

Post by bobingabout »

A research that increases the drop rate/count of loot. Interesting. I'd probably have to actually mod in the support for this research too.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Sounds like you could get the result by simply adding a few preprocessing recipes for the loot items. Or you could add high-evolution biters that drop loot.

I'm not a fan of the whole "infinite research for everything" movement. Magically upgrading all of your existing stuff just feels wrong in a game all about building more factory.

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

It'd be nice if it was possible, but as I've seen no way to do it I'm not sure.

and @eradicator I get what you're saying, but in multiplayer games it's VERY hard to gather the thousands of artifacts you need to outfit everyone with nice gear, so I thought late-game (non-infinite) expensive research could bridge the gap.
- Buggi -

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This seems to specific for adding to the base game. Mods can already hook entity died and spawn additional loot should they want to do so.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

If it's suppoesed to be both late-game and finite that's can be nicely modded the way Rsed suggested. If you don't like (control-)scripting then adding recipes like i said is an option. You'd have to introduce a new drop item though that then gets processed into the old one to not end up with a circular recipe. So Rseds idea is cleaner. If you need help with modding there's a forum for that ;).

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

Rseding91 wrote:This seems to specific for adding to the base game. Mods can already hook entity died and spawn additional loot should they want to do so.
Yes, but can research control when those hooks are called?

That's the basis of the request, that on-research-complete not be limited to hard-coded variable changes, but allow me to change other variables.
- Buggi -

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

on_research_finished has nothing to do with any "variables". It is raised for every technology, even if that technology has no effects at all. There's https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Con ... l#Modifier "nothing" to add a custom symbol to a technology to make it look nicer in the tech tree. You'd then use something like:

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_entity_died,function(event)
  if event.force and event.force.technologies['more-loot-tech'] and event.entity.type == 'spawner' then
    --spawn loot!
    end
  end)

Return to “Won't implement”