Custom combinator logic

Things that we aren't going to implement
Griffork
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Custom combinator logic

Post by Griffork »

Please add the ability for mods to create custom combinator logic, ages ago I wanted to create a couple of combinators for commonly used operations (such as remembering the last value until a new value enters, multiplication, etc). I love writing code, but I don't like how basic the combinators are and that I continually have to recreate basic commands.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Custom combinator logic

Post by Oktokolo »

+1

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

When combinators where put in the game it was decided that these kinds of things wouldn't be implemented because the player should have to build them himself with the basic tools provided.

The way combinators work internally they aren't something that could have new logic added with simply lua instructions. All of the logic is done in C++ and remains fixed in what it can do.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Griffork
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Griffork »

Then would it be possible to create another entity which we can override to do something similar?

Example, I tried using AAI but my setup quickly became huge and very very difficult to debug and modify. If I could create a number of different 'shortcut' combinators for storing values, incrementing values when certain signals are received, turning on lights when certain conditions are met, etc. I would have been able to create (and modify) much larger circuit systems. Additionally at that increased size it seems like it would be more performant to execute a number of commands via Lua rather than via multiple combinators (although I don't know how your code is setup).

Finally it would be nice to have things like crafting combinators be less hacky (it's not obvious how to use them because there's no vanilla support for that kind of thing).

Return to “Won't implement”