Have "following_robots" field on standard entities

Things that we aren't going to implement
xlomkn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Have "following_robots" field on standard entities

Post by xlomkn »

TL;DR
Make the field "following_robots" works for standard entities, not only for characters.
What ?
The LuaControl field "following_robots" needs to be called on an object that is a character, but from a script, I can create combat robots and by setting the source parameter, make them follow a standard entity (let's say a vehicle):

Code: Select all

surface.create_entity({
      name = "defender-capsule",
      force = source_entity.force,
      source = source_entity, -- my vehicle
When making combat robots follow a vehicle, I can create more than the "maximum_following_robot_count" limit.

My suggestions:
  • make the field "following_robots" works for standard entities, not only for characters - at least vehicles, but seems to me it could be used on other entities types.
  • and maybe respect the "maximum_following_robot_count" limit on a per entity basis. Not sure about this, as it would be easy to check table_size(following_robots) and letting this unlimited gives more modding possibilities.
Why ?
Because robots can follow a vehicle, I would like to be able to manage them as with a character.
As an example:
  • by now to respect the "maximum_following_robot_count" limit on a vehicle, I have to handle the following robots count myself.
  • when a robot dies, I don't know which vehicle it was following, to create a new one... or to override the dying animation to make it come back to the vehicle.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Have "following_robots" field on standard entities

Post by Rseding91 »

This would require additional memory usage on every entity in the game when base game would never use it. Not going to happen.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Won't implement”