Power options at green science

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

bobalicious
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Power options at green science

Post by bobalicious »

What are people using for power generation at green science? Its been quite a while since I tried a run of this (back when water to mushroom/coke/H was easy and crude oil was more vanilla like for the oil burners) I've got about 75% of the infrastructure built for blue sci/circ2's and haven't found anything i'm happy with. I've got a roughly grid based train setup so space isn't really an issue, but if I could avoid setting up a massive boiler line on a far away raw coal patch and use something more 'intended' instead I'd like to do that. Right now my primary source is raw coal to coke to feed combustion mixture from hydrogen. Each 'line' is a decent bit net positive if I'm doing my math right, but it still doesn't 'feel' right and I think I'm missing something.

Full Py w/o AL on this run. Scale is around 1 sci/sec.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Power options at green science

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

bobalicious wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 pm
What are people using for power generation at green science? Its been quite a while since I tried a run of this (back when water to mushroom/coke/H was easy and crude oil was more vanilla like for the oil burners) I've got about 75% of the infrastructure built for blue sci/circ2's and haven't found anything i'm happy with. I've got a roughly grid based train setup so space isn't really an issue, but if I could avoid setting up a massive boiler line on a far away raw coal patch and use something more 'intended' instead I'd like to do that. Right now my primary source is raw coal to coke to feed combustion mixture from hydrogen. Each 'line' is a decent bit net positive if I'm doing my math right, but it still doesn't 'feel' right and I think I'm missing something.

Full Py w/o AL on this run. Scale is around 1 sci/sec.
use turbines mk2 since they give x2 power from same mix . u should be close to C2 at this point , if you have pyAL ( since i didnt understand well) you can use biomass for the mix

AndrewSkier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndrewSkier »

I just use a ton of regular boilers with raw coal. Run power cables far away from my base so it's not in a way, find large raw coal patch, and build there (I had I think 400-500 boilers when I was at that stage).
Once I get MK2 turbines, then I change that to use hydrogen production + biomass (use moss + logs loop to create a ton of biomass for free).
Easy to expand with just a copy/paste and bots (far from base again so it's not in a way). If you have circuits 2, put efficiency modules in electrolyzers.
Makes this very powerful at Mk3 turbines. I'm running ~5 GW power that way now.

Zentay
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zentay »

I use the hydrogen and biomass from phytoplankton into combustion mixture recipe. I explored other options and only a few were good, but none as good as this recipe. The free oxygen and excess hydrogen are nice, it uses relatively few buildings and needs no outside inputs.

Tree farms are a good way to get renewable coal gas/tar, coal, all of which can be turned into syngas with some efficient recipes. This could be the basis for a good power plant but there's not much point when the hydrogen plant is so good and provides the oxygen that is needed anyway.

Tailings into coal-water slurry are surprisingly good for power but unreliable so they can only complement an existing power plant.

Mined coal runs out very quickly with RSO and default resources richness for me so it's not a good basis to build a power plant. There are ways to generate a lot of coal but they come later.

I have only looked superficially into mid and late game power options but I think there are some good and interesting ones.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

When you unlock it, burning cold coke oven gas seems to be better than combustion mixture options (because they need a LOT of coke/biomass too) ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

I've tended to find that hydrogen based combustion mixture, and coke oven gas, tend to be THE ways to go at green science. Coke oven gas just has sooo much energy density to it, though actually tapping into it seems to require an annoying amount of space and the gens ARE a touch expensive, while hydrogen+biomass is about as good as you can get for easily scaleable renawable power aside from, well, solar panels, and i'm pretty sure it has a higher power density than the latter.

What i'm not sure about is whether coal fines will ever be worth doing or not, though probably not for power.

Hydrogen power is just so easily scaled up once you make a decent build for it.

Zyz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zyz »

I usually split my power production between regular boilers fed by excess coke (produced by refining raw coal), hydrogen combustion mixture fed by biomass (at that point its easy to make phytoplankton from flue gas and feeding it to a composter) and burning off excess cold coke oven gas in oil burners. It should be enough to avoid brown outs in case one of the three is temporairly out of order.

Pridesfall
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pridesfall »

I'm working in yellow science and make almost half my power from tar->coal gas->syn gas->combustion mixture. This chain requires oxygen so I turn the "free" hydrogen into combustion mixture. I have two really large setups doing this and one of them prioritizes supplying syn gas to the factory.

Another huge benefit of this setup is the amount of ash that is produced. It's more than I usually need so I sort excess into I think copper ore/iron ore/coal dust.

The remainder of my power is from solar. Maybe 70k panels. I have about 20% of my solar always connected to the factory and the remainder connects when accumulators drop below 25% and disconnect when they get charged to 90%. This ensures combustion mixture is prioritized. I think I average around 4-5 GW.

Return to “PyMods”