PyAL Satellite Launch

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

smick
Inserter
Inserter

PyAL Satellite Launch

Post by smick »

Finally launched a satellite with PyAL. It was rough.

Mods used the full Py suite, construction drones, dectorio, FNEI, Factory Planner, Squeak Thru, Long Reach. The last two I installed about a 1000 hrs in.

It was quite tough and the base is beyond ugly.

I will post thoughts on mod set tomorrow after I get a bit of rest.

smick
Inserter
Inserter

Re: PyAL Satellite Launch

Post by smick »

I have a few thoughts after launching satellite in Pyandon mods.

First is that I have to commend the mod makers for some pretty good work. The models, concepts, and overall execution were very high quality. At first some of the chains and concepts were a little confusing but after a bit of play it made more sense. I especially liked the new trains and the more powerful logistic bots. It definitely helps to have a few bones tossed the player’s way. Especially in a complex mod like this.

My play tendency is to recycle what I have and use what I gather. For some weird reason it feels sort of bad to burn or sink by-products. For a long period of the game I tried to recycle whatever I generated and I’m not sure if that’s optimal.

The other thing I did was whenever there was an update I applied it immediately. That combined with the complexity of the mod and the frequent changes due to research upgrades meant that I did not even try to build things in any sort of ratio. It felt like coming up with a tight build that was clever and took into account ratios would be a waste of time as that work would be obsoleted awfully rapidly.

So for the most part I just built process after process and buffered some of the outputs. A successful play session was any play session in which a new product was being produced. In terms of a throughput goal obviously this wouldn’t work. But a throughput goal is usually only achievable after a few 100 levels of mining productivity anyways.

Originally, my goal was to launch a rocket and then expand to 1000 science per minute. I had no idea how naïve that was. Lol. If it’s even possible I can’t imagine how massive that base would. One critique that I have is that so much of the upgrades are pure speed at massive cost or even worse, massive ongoing costs. Productivity boosts are rare outside of tech and those probably wouldn’t be sufficient for a sustained high science goal. I’m not sure though because I haven’t gone past the satellite launce and experimented with the the utility science tech and the highest level buildings.

I don’t want this to be too long but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

zizzleswomp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zizzleswomp »

Amazing! That's quite the accomplishment!

Pridesfall
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pridesfall »

Great job! I'd love to see a screenshot.

smick
Inserter
Inserter

Post by smick »

That I'll do once the new PyAL gets patched. I can only play for a few seconds before getting a fatal error. I waited to after satellite launch to update the PyAL to the latest. Strange thing is, even selecting the earlier version doesn't allow me to play for more than a few seconds either.

That said, the base mainly looks like a set of grids outside of the mall and the mining areas. All in all, I'm actually not all that proud of my base layout because it is UGLY as hell and totally inefficient.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Very nice!! Glad you had fun!
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

smick
Inserter
Inserter

Post by smick »

Most definitely. Great work! So many cool ideas. I'm having to fight the urge to try with bugs.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

smick wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:05 am
Most definitely. Great work! So many cool ideas. I'm having to fight the urge to try with bugs.
wait just a bit longer and you wont need to.

smick
Inserter
Inserter

Post by smick »

Is that a hint at an invasion? :shock:

smick
Inserter
Inserter

Post by smick »

How big is too big of a screeenshot?