Do you update your modpack ?

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

Nath7009
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Do you update your modpack ?

Post by Nath7009 »

I've started my game in july, and since then I've always gotten my mods up to date, but recently, with the addition of honey, wax and advanced casting, I've gotten fed up with updating the whole factory because of breaking changes ( removed or changes recipe, changed machine fluid port position ).
Those changes are most often not written in the changelogs so it's always a surprise when you realize that your optical fiber stopped producing because of a recipe change.
Am I the only fool that updates mods during a game ?

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Do you update your modpack ?

Post by Squelch »

Not the only fool.

Yes it is rather annoying to have recipes and buildings change so leaving parts of the factory not working. Pyanodon suite is still being actively developed, which is great, and breaking changes are inevitable, but unfortunately, these breaking changes are not always entered into the changelog, so we end up finding them the hard way.

We just have to be accomodating for this fantastic endeavor, and hope that changes are communicated properly in future.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

yes
BUT I READ THE GIT CHANGES MYSELF
the chanagelog is vague at lest

Nath7009
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nath7009 »

I've watched the git commits also but the commit messages, even though they are more detailed than the changelogs, you still have to read all code changes, and that's a lot of work sice there are so much commits

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

I do, sporadically.

For instance, I've not updated for a little bit since the smelter building was apparently introduced. That's gonna break lots of my stuff, so I want to make sure I do that updates when I've got time to fix everything.

Otherwise I'll do it as part of my pymods todo list. Fix this, improve that, build more of this. Update the mods. Fix everything it broke.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Honestly unless your running into a game breaking bug theres really no need to constantly update at this point. Stay on the version you got till you decide your down with the map. The new stuff will be there if you ever decide to restart.

AndrewSkier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndrewSkier »

I'm on my third game through production science and each time I restart when big updates come out and my entire factory just stops.
I like the initial stage better anyways, but I don't think I'll ever finish with those constant updates :-)
Haven't updated since ~September and just got my production science up and running and debating if I should update now to Factorio 1.1 and latest PY.

smick
Inserter
Inserter

Post by smick »

Yes, and it has been painful. Close to finishing utility science and some of the updates have been major delays.

Return to “PyMods”