Ore Gen Bug?

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

SirRuc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Ore Gen Bug?

Post by SirRuc »

So I've been looking to start a new Py run and when I went to generate a new world I found Ores to be too frequent to my liking so I tried lowering the frequency (i prefer a more railword style play) and whithout adjusting the size I get this MASSIVE tin vein right outside of spawn, this is the largest vein i have seen in factorio
Low frequency Tin.png
Low frequency Tin.png (94.64 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
I should note this seems to happen with all of Pyanodon's ores regardless of whether AlienLife or RawOres is enabled
this is with the frequency set to the Min of 17%, it does appear that the vanilla ores are unaffected by this bug and if i set it anything other than 100% frequency the size is affected, much more drastically than the actual size setting

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ore Gen Bug?

Post by valneq »

Are you using only pymods, or additional mods like RSO?
Furthermore, having a map save to sync to would help to reproduce and ultimately fix this issue.

SirRuc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SirRuc »

Sorry about the save, here is a fresh save with just full pymods.
I Set the Tin frequency to the min (17%) and the Quartz frequency to the max (600%) to show how big and small the veins get without adjusting the actual size parameters
I also turned biters off
All other settings are default
It is fully reproducible with every world I've tried
I should note that RSO seems to fix this as it changes ore spawning
I can kinda see how it could intentional but seems to need rebalancing, either way I figured I should post it just in case it was an unknown bug
Attachments
Wierd ore gen.zip
(3.62 MiB) Downloaded 85 times

ShadowGlass
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShadowGlass »

My hunch is that the "coverage" property should be removed from the autoplace definitions on the resources. Coverage basically means x% of the surface should be covered by this resource. If coverage is set to a constant number, then decreasing the frequency would mean increasing the size of the patches to keep the same % of the surface coverage.

I've checked the vanilla autoplace settings (data\base\prototypes\entity\demo-resources.lua, resources.lua & data\core\lualib\resource-autoplace.lua) and besides being very different, coverage is not used at all in any of those files (it shows up in the file, but only in a deprecated function, that's not being called from anywhere).

The resource generator has been changed about 2 years ago (Dev blog), and it seems it's using very different parameters now.

I haven't tested simply removing the coverage param from pymod resources, but it might worth trying. Maybe it'll work, and it's much simpler than completely rewriting the autoplace settings to use the new system.

SirRuc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SirRuc »

I tried just just deleting the coverage parameter in the prototype file but that seems to make it assume a default coverage of like 30-50% of the map, aka about as much space as the water...
I suppose I could just lower the coverage so I have about what I want, but if I want a quick fix RSO seems to work as well.
I think i'm going to get back into modding and see if I can parse the new ore system and help pyanodon out

Return to “PyMods”