Recommended mods and worldgen settings for Py on 0.18

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Recommended mods and worldgen settings for Py on 0.18

Post by Demosthenex »

I've previously enjoyed Py's mods on 0.16, and want to start a new game since it appears Py is available on 0.18.

I prefer desperately hard packs, and so I'm looking for suggested mods and worldgen settings for a new Py start. I'm really looking for a list of mods to use for the "complete" Py experience. I don't think I need to combine Py with Bob or Angel, but I am looking for very hard.

I must admit, leaving biters on the default for my first Py run was rough. I may reduce that slightly, because we didn't get decent military science until there were behemoths. I can't in good conscience disable biters, as I feel the game is quite empty then. Maybe there's a weapons mod that goes well with Py?

Otherwise I would include Nanobots, MaxRateCalc, QOL research, Upgrade Planner, and "What is it used for?".

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Recommended mods and worldgen settings for Py on 0.18

Post by kingarthur »

Demosthenex wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 pm
I've previously enjoyed Py's mods on 0.16, and want to start a new game since it appears Py is available on 0.18.

I prefer desperately hard packs, and so I'm looking for suggested mods and worldgen settings for a new Py start. I'm really looking for a list of mods to use for the "complete" Py experience. I don't think I need to combine Py with Bob or Angel, but I am looking for very hard.

I must admit, leaving biters on the default for my first Py run was rough. I may reduce that slightly, because we didn't get decent military science until there were behemoths. I can't in good conscience disable biters, as I feel the game is quite empty then. Maybe there's a weapons mod that goes well with Py?

Otherwise I would include Nanobots, MaxRateCalc, QOL research, Upgrade Planner, and "What is it used for?".
pymods is really really not balanced for biters yet. its in the works but will be a while. so your going to want to turn them as far down as you can or proably get a mod that ties evolution to science.

id also recommend using helmod/factory planner or like task planner i think its called to help keep track of what your working on due to how long it can take to get all the individual pieces of a build together

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

I agree Py isn't biter balanced. While I heard there was a biter evolution tied to research mod I doubt it's been properly tied to Py.

Maybe as a compromise I'll set biters to huge bases but very scarce and no expansion. That way it's not a complete cakewalk, but I can choose my battles.

I'm already considering mapgen should have higher richness but longer distances for resources (ie: Railworld).

I tend to keep notes in an Org-mode file, so I'm not worried about in-game note taking. I do insist on mods like Sticky Notes ( Attach Note now?) for on the spot docs and warnings.

esso23
Inserter
Inserter

Post by esso23 »

Demosthenex wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 pm

You can try our mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/pypollution) if you're playing without pyAlienLife. Map presets with balanced pollution/time factors are included. We plan to release 0.3.0 update for pyAlienLife later this week.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

That's very interesting! However at the moment I think we're going without biters. I also wanted to include this new Alien Life mod to see how it plays.

Questions I'm running into though:

- Does expensive recipe/tech apply to Pyanodon?
- RSO or vanilla oregen for a railworld?

Finally, WTF are these huge rocks that say 4M tin!

esso23
Inserter
Inserter

Post by esso23 »

Demosthenex wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:54 pm
That's very interesting! However at the moment I think we're going without biters. I also wanted to include this new Alien Life mod to see how it plays.

Questions I'm running into though:

- Does expensive recipe/tech apply to Pyanodon?
- RSO or vanilla oregen for a railworld?

Finally, WTF are these huge rocks that say 4M tin!
I would not recommend playing with expensive recipes/techs since py suite is already pretty marathon-like. Personally I could not reach 2nd circuit boards in 120 hours (without pyAlienLife). Although I spent a lot of time fighting OP biters in that game.

As for railworld, I would recommend setting up RSO to spawn less resources in mod settings before game start instead of using vanilla. See attachment for the settings I use in my current game. I would recommend going for 0.25 - 0.30 resource chance based on my experience (or use the 0.22 value if you like it hardcore :) )

Those huge rocks can be mined with large mines later on in the game (requires Circuit Board 2).
RSO railword settings
RSO railword settings
Screenshot 2020-03-02 15.47.28.png (1 MiB) Viewed 2320 times

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Thank you so much for your RSO settings! I made a few sample worlds and decided RSO still has the best layout.

I'm tempted for expensive, I'll check with my team mates.

error0664
Inserter
Inserter

Post by error0664 »

i would not recommend expensive setting for py - not because of a possible extra challange but afaik all the py recipes do not have any rexpensive overide at all so it would not make many differences (and only apply to some remaining base items / recipes)
if at all - there is a chance to break anything rather than make it more difficult or intended more expensive

i would recommend other challenges like science multiplier that forces you for some higher science per minute rate planned for your base

but my general recommendation is: play without additional settings that make game more marathon like if you did not finalize any py playthrough

Return to “PyMods”