Ingredient Belt Sharing ?

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Ingredient Belt Sharing ?

Post by BlueTemplar »

So, with as many ingredients as Py has, what pairs do you associate together ?

For my part :
(Which is also going to be an excuse to showcase my base. :P )

Fawogae & Coke :
Nice early game, though gets weirder as you go, as it then gets less of a waste to just put Water => Plantation => HPFurnace => HPFurnace chains whenever you need Fawogae / Coal /Coke... but maybe I'll get back to centralized Fawogae production if I end up running a fertilizer excess ? You can see one Plantation that I set up to dynamically switch from the plain recipe to the one with fertilizer...

Aluminium & Duralumin plates :
Obviously.

Iron & Steel plates :
Ditto.

(But sometimes Iron & Copper : )
Tin & Glass :

Just laid :

Ash & Organic matter :
Wish that I had planned & laid that long before, running around ferrying ash got annoying...

Chromium plates & Salt :

What did you decide to pair together ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

frugal10191
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Ingredient Belt Sharing ?

Post by frugal10191 »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:06 pm
You can see one Plantation that I set up to dynamically switch from the plain recipe to the one with fertilizer...
This is the bit that caught my eye. How do you dynamically change the recipe of the plantation? I didn't think that was possible.
What did you decide to pair together ?
To be honest, I don't run belts of combined resources like this. I run a main bus of single item belts, and then I might combine two ingredients together when I split off the bus for a specific assembler. In that case it is whatever two ingredients I need less than half a belt of.

TwentyEighty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TwentyEighty »

Oh my god the spaghetti is absolutely horrifying.

I love it :D :D :D

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Excess of tall oil from coke + copper is horryfiing
Seriously
And where to use tons of benzene?

Otherwise all the screenshots look awesome
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

shadowpho
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shadowpho »

Eventually you'll be "forced" to go to trains :). Everything is wagon, train is life, train is love. Belts don't scale when you have 30+ liquids and sooo many physical.
(for example, red science requires 110 inputs when going from pretty much nothing. )

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

frugal10191 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:58 pm
You can see one Plantation that I set up to dynamically switch from the plain recipe to the one with fertilizer...
This is the bit that caught my eye. How do you dynamically change the recipe of the plantation? I didn't think that was possible.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/crafting_combinator
Includes combinators that allow you to set or read the recipe of any crafting machine, get ingredients or products of a recipe and more!
My setup is fairly simple -
(but was quite head-scratching to set up, especially since both recipes (and the item) have the same icon !)
- though not as efficient as I could be, as I lose the progress upon a recipe switch, and don't control that timing...
TwentyEighty wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:06 pm
Oh my god the spaghetti is absolutely horrifying.

I love it :D :D :D
Thanks ! :)
Up until fairly recently, the biter pressure meant that I had to work in cramped quarters.
(And even after that : though I could have just burned everything down with flame turret pushes, but I like variety :
suicide bombing car/train attacks, rockets once I get around to it, also once I reached the flame turrets and the game was therefore basically "won", I installed some custom turrets, like the sulfuric acid throwing ones linked in PyCoal thread...)
aklesey1 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:17 pm
Excess of tall oil from coke + copper is horryfiing
Seriously
And where to use tons of benzene?

Otherwise all the screenshots look awesome
Thanks.
I quickly noticed that it was pretty inefficient, and as you can see limited it to only work if only all 3 of the outputs were "underfilled", and so it hardly got used :
(see also the unused Methanol reactor on the right that used to burn some Aromatics into Oil...)

Yeah, I was scratching my head a long time about what to do with the Tall Oil / Benzene, and it's not like its derivatives are used a lot, thankfully it looks like that the CO2 absorber will finally allow me to use some Combustion Turbines, and use them for power !
shadowpho wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:18 pm
Eventually you'll be "forced" to go to trains :). Everything is wagon, train is life, train is love. Belts don't scale when you have 30+ liquids and sooo many physical.
(for example, red science requires 110 inputs when going from pretty much nothing. )
Sounds a lot, was it changed recently to need circuits1 ?

I relatively recently completely automated my 2 outposts with trains :

brainbus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by brainbus »

@BlueTemplar:
Amazing factory. I love the space-constrained design, which the pressure from the biters enforces. Combined with your (quote) "resource Size set to Very small and Richness to Very poor" your death world is a real challenge indeed :!: :o

@Ingredient belt sharing:
Along my mainbus I do not put different kinds of ingredients on the same belt. But in the manufacturing blocks branching off from the mainbus I tend to put two ingredients on the same belt, if the recipe ratios allow this. It is a great way to minimize the footprint of these blocks. I have attached an example of my "Printed Circuit Substrate 2" production, where I put 4 of the required ingredients on 2 belts. The design is about half a year old - the ratios might be different in the latest pymods release.
Attachments
Printed Circuit Substrate 2 manufacturing block
Printed Circuit Substrate 2 manufacturing block
Factorio_printed_circuit_substrate2.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 2433 times
Last edited by brainbus on Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Nice !
Also, interesting how you mix vanilla and Py assemblers for the same recipe ?

----

Though since I enjoy both taking my time to think about what to do next, and quick action, I'm using Vlad's Auto Time, which most likely makes Death World significantly easier. (But then I messed up by letting the biters settle too close, and waited too long to get better smelting, so pretty much wasted all my starting iron on bullets...)
Also, unlike what was recommended in 0.16 for Py, I didn't use RSO - I think that I was afraid that resources too far away would make it too hard ?
(Running the water pipes to tin and chromium was still painful...)

brainbus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by brainbus »

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:00 pm
Also, interesting how you mix vanilla and Py assemblers for the same recipe ?
If it were not for the vanilla assemblers, I would have had to put 2 Py assemblers on both sides, which would have lead to a pronounced bulge in an otherwise rectangular enclosure. I could have spent more time redesigning, but there is more to take care of than just printed circuit substrate 2. ;)
Though since I enjoy both taking my time to think about what to do next, and quick action, I'm using Vlad's Auto Time, which most likely makes Death World significantly easier. (But then I messed up by letting the biters settle too close, and waited too long to get better smelting, so pretty much wasted all my starting iron on bullets...)
Now that's an interesting mod! As I also like to think about my factory designs and so on in-game, I have almost reached 400 hours in my current savegame. Maybe when Pyanodon releases PyAL with new enemies some time in the future, I might start a new run with this mod.
Also, unlike what was recommended in 0.16 for Py, I didn't use RSO - I think that I was afraid that resources too far away would make it too hard ?
(Running the water pipes to tin and chromium was still painful...)
I feel your pain! In contrast I have enabled very large and very rich resources, because on the one hand I wanted to focus on optimizing the factory and on the other hand I wanted to keep my stress level as low as possible. :)

Return to β€œPyMods”