Problem with too big/obscuring building sprites

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Problem with too big/obscuring building sprites

Post by Dixi »

In Factorio core game, all buildings textures/sprites, almost always fits inside their rectangle. If they are drawn outside of rectangle, it's usually very small part, like antenna, that do not block view. They also never block a way in between of any two building.

Here buildings are too big. Okay, lets suppose you made them big, to be able to attach more inserters from sides. While being so big, their textures/sprites cover a lot space behind building. This is very uncomfortable.

In core game I can walk between all building, even if they stand without any spaces, only pipes cause walking problems.

PY typical building size is 6*6 blocks, and it's sprite occupy all tiles fully, it's not possible to walk between two buildings. This is very problematic.

I'd say resize them at least 10-15% downscale, so they will be drawn inside actual frame.
Buildings with tall parts on back side, definitely need some redesign. Squeeze them someway, or make them a little shorter, and add some concrete/fence/low profile wall on a back side.

Because, in current graphics, is very hard to build a factory. Using horizontal belts orientation - I do not see belts and inserters in behind building lane. If I build a long row, I have to make spaces for walking, or have to run around. Both ways are not convenient.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Problem with too big/obscuring building sprites

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

Dixi wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 pm
In Factorio core game, all buildings textures/sprites, almost always fits inside their rectangle. If they are drawn outside of rectangle, it's usually very small part, like antenna, that do not block view. They also never block a way in between of any two building.

Here buildings are too big. Okay, lets suppose you made them big, to be able to attach more inserters from sides. While being so big, their textures/sprites cover a lot space behind building. This is very uncomfortable.

In core game I can walk between all building, even if they stand without any spaces, only pipes cause walking problems.

PY typical building size is 6*6 blocks, and it's sprite occupy all tiles fully, it's not possible to walk between two buildings. This is very problematic.

I'd say resize them at least 10-15% downscale, so they will be drawn inside actual frame.
Buildings with tall parts on back side, definitely need some redesign. Squeeze them someway, or make them a little shorter, and add some concrete/fence/low profile wall on a back side.

Because, in current graphics, is very hard to build a factory. Using horizontal belts orientation - I do not see belts and inserters in behind building lane. If I build a long row, I have to make spaces for walking, or have to run around. Both ways are not convenient.
do like i do make the belt builds go vertically then copy paste them where thy are needed
and yes it is hard to design but u get used to it and also it looks more realistic that wasy since we arent looking straight from above ,like in vanilla we look from a 45 deg or so angle

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

I strongly disagree with you, immortal_sniper1.
1. Please use proper grammar, it's hard to understand what you write.
2. Game should be fun. I'm not going to adapt to mod that force me to build base in limited way, not the way I like. Because this is one of main Factorio concepts - you can do same task by many ways.

But this PY mod have good potential, that's why I leave comments here, and hope, they might help.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Dixi wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 pm
2. Game should be fun. I'm not going to adapt to mod that force me to build base in limited way, not the way I like. Because this is one of main Factorio concepts - you can do same task by many ways.

But this PY mod have good potential, that's why I leave comments here, and hope, they might help.
Unfortunately, many mods are not balanced the same as vanilla. It's typically considered proper, for vanilla-type balancing, when making a factorio machine prototype, that you make the collision box slightly smaller than the selection box, so players can walk between buildings. This is how the game's base mod does it, and they consciously don't do it for entities you aren't supposed to walk between (like pipes). Maybe Py doesn't want you to be able to walk between their buildings, so it's set this way. It's common knowledge that this is how it's done, so my guess is that Py is this way on purpose. It's a simple fix, otherwise: just reduce all collision box boundaries by 0.1. I'm sure Py is aware of this.

The sprite size itself is independent of the collision size, so for any collision-type concerns, see the above comment. For the way that tall buildings overlap above the selection box, I think this is on purpose, and I use this for the tallest of buildings in my mods, too. If they were squeezed down, they would look weird and not oriented properly with the rest of the world. But, I'm with you in that it's important to be able to walk through things, unless they are physically connected like by a pipe.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

Dixi wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 pm

1 well i design stuff the same way in vanilla
2 it is not limiting but i just find it more convenient for me
3 very few buildings have that problem to begin with
4 were was my grammar off? not native speaker so i really want to know
5 mu vertical suggestion was a advice , you can design stuff in many ways but not all as so efficient

Pridesfall
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pridesfall »

Since you're already not playing vanilla, just get the mod "Squeak through" and you'll be good to go.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Squeak%20Through

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

I understand for few people that may be a issue, but i guarantee theres no force inn that universe that will make me re-render all that buildings or remake them to fit 100% in square spaces. My mods are huge and being developed for so long time because the complexity of the sprites. Im alone to do all that graphics and each demands tons of my valuable time.

Like adamo said, if reduced, the pipe connections would be a mess and it would reallly look wierd. Also all the collission boxes in my buildings are smaller a bit to permit walk between them, maybe the squeak mod is what youre looking for
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

Is the problem the collision box or the sprite being displayed outside the bounds of the structure? I do find the latter rather annoying. I haven't noticed issues with the collision box, but I run Squeak Through anyway, if only to make it easier to navigate around pipes.

Return to “PyMods”