Py Beginner advice - map settings / bus

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Py Beginner advice - map settings / bus

Post by reapersms »

Recent LTNs should be kind enough to not require circuit 2's (one of the early 0.17 ones loosened up that requirement for bobs & py), so there shouldn't be a huge gap between vanilla railroads and LTN anymore.

Pre-rails, it's whatever you can do to get to rails.

Fluid multi-requests are probably a solid nope with the 0.17 changes anyways, LTN or not. So far my bases have been compact enough to get by with pipelines and occasional repressurization pumps, so I don't have anything practical for that.

Vanilla trains would probably only really work out nicely for bulk items, like ore to processing, processed to smelting, plates to destination... With the number of plates getting, say, circuit production train automated will be a mess before LTN.

I have a difficult time visualizing the size of base you'd need to fill up a 3-10 train of anything other than raw ore in a reasonable amount of time

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

Bishop89 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Blokus wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 pm
I do city blocks with LTN. The city blocks are pretty big (200x200 interior space). They typically take in quite a few things and export quite a few things...I pretty much shove stuff in until I either feel like the block is getting cramped or I have a plan for the space I'm not using yet. Basically if I could plausibly use an item somewhere else, I dump it onto the network. So for example, when I made fiberboard, that was the first place that I was making sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfate, so I threw those out onto the network for use elsewhere.

I handle fluids with barrels, which is pretty easy with LTN once you know how network IDs work (so that you can have a central provider and central requester that won't loop back and forth between one another). You can use fluid wagons, but then your fluid stations have a tendency to become very numerous, and there's more risk of trains returning to the depot non-empty (or idling at requesters unable to be emptied due to contamination).
any tips for pre-LTN base? I'm literally at edge of red/green and about to do some major expansion, just considering exactly how to do it, because I love big trains - 3 loco + 10 cargo is my favorite, and I use them plenty of times since beginning in vanilla with singular resource, but here I cannot justify it over more shorter ones, because of sheer amount of items produced.
Get there quickly and take advantage of the PyRO chains that you can reach within sp2 and/or use hot air, depending on the item in question. I wouldn't bother expanding to even a full yellow belt of iron plate before starting to make trains.

3-10 is just not the right way to do it except arguably for outpost <-> main base trains, and even then I'm highly skeptical. I use 1-2s and am happy with them for everything except barrels (only 800 barrels on a train is not so great). Complex modpacks aren't really all about large volumes of the same resources, they're about small volumes of many different kinds of resources. That's really what makes LTN so useful for these kind of modpacks in the first place.
Blokus wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 pm
(or idling at requesters unable to be emptied due to contamination).
is this still a thing in 0.17 fluid changes? it prevents me even from mixing fluids while trying to properly rotate a building.
I mean that your train fails to be fully drained before it leaves a requester (because you disabled its pump when it still had a fraction of a unit of fluid left), and then it arrives at a provider that gives a different fluid and it can't be filled there. (I phrased this wrong in my previous comment, though.)

TwentyEighty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TwentyEighty »

You can definitely make multi fluid requesters. Up to six fluid per wagon. If you hook up the pipes ahead of time to factory outputs it's sort of trivial, and circuit magic can get you there even without doing this

Riktol
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Riktol »

Aside from the large deposits which need the specialized miner, is there an ore to mine to generate Raw Nexelit?
The only other way I can see for making it is using tailings, which seems odd.

mxpal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mxpal »

reapersms wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:50 pm

Fluid multi-requests are probably a solid nope with the 0.17 changes anyways, LTN or not. So far my bases have been compact enough to get by with pipelines and occasional repressurization pumps, so I don't have anything practical for that.
it actually become easier in 0.17 with LTN.

in 0.16 you need to control the pump to only activate on a specific fluid, but the simple method of linking the pump directly to the LTN station for fluid detection is very problematic as the pumps will sometimes stop working with 0.1 fluid units remaining in the wagon. u need to use the "inventory sensor" mod for a residual free fluid unload.

in 0.17, no wire linkage is needed anymore. since pipes/pumps with different fluid cannot connect with each other anymore, only the pump that matches the fluid in the current wagon will activate. a dual purpose provide/request station is also possible.
20190511234657_1.jpg
20190511234657_1.jpg (674.63 KiB) Viewed 3082 times

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

Riktol wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:59 am
Aside from the large deposits which need the specialized miner, is there an ore to mine to generate Raw Nexelit?
As far as I can tell no, but you can generate a lot of it from tailings, and it's a fast recipe as well. (It can compete with just throwing tailings in a sinkhole.) Considering this and the power of the clean nexelit + hot air -> nexelit plate recipe, nexelit plate is easier to make than iron plate at sp2 level, which feels very weird to me thematically (since it is supposedly the "unobtainium" of the alien world).
mxpal wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:48 pm
reapersms wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:50 pm

it actually become easier in 0.17 with LTN.

in 0.16 you need to control the pump to only activate on a specific fluid, but the simple method of linking the pump directly to the LTN station for fluid detection is very problematic as the pumps will sometimes stop working with 0.1 fluid units remaining in the wagon. u need to use the "inventory sensor" mod for a residual free fluid unload.

in 0.17, no wire linkage is needed anymore. since pipes/pumps with different fluid cannot connect with each other anymore, only the pump that matches the fluid in the current wagon will activate. a dual purpose provide/request station is also possible.

20190511234657_1.jpg
Nice observation...I'd use that if I wasn't already invested into barrel logistics.

MrPlate
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrPlate »

I use that settings with RSO. Is the rarity of minerals correct for you?
P.S. All Py mods installed.

>>>eNp1VD9o1UAYv7M+3p/+oYUuipQOxUFIqW0HB3mJOoiI7m5ek
nu+o3m5eEm0rUOLdNTNRaeutiAOOrhVRFGoIDo5WXFxUFAEXYT6X
ZJ775KrB/fx3e/33ff3EoQm0HGEEax1W+7ZMRKkPRaytGcJ7i0BY
Suu5nJBlhFy+sio1xW8d5DtYY+TQB3kbkrAMGt5PIqosLiguvFwA
VfNm55IfWpxVnLdoiHtrVguiUtOGkzwsOq5mYGG34AS30DHejxYc
X0aQn2ZmwE1EtJlGrDEuDMcMm+JmoXWQ8ZdaJSONaAOq7c0d/Igc
H57a6tdBRfgYICL21snymBMQr80Jsje6s9VZ0Yko4ZYTgMI2RXdu
iXBvMDSECV8PSUiWdVbXZdwwkIjXsISUk0ki7fKQq80gKjL46hLE
mr0c6JMWXPzemuG82zMW4JAGApc13J5wPzSUBuC3LTydztIrCnoN
bBMaFx6MDEJ1PAHtrU44WHpuY3EadBJhRWRxOvqE20mpEBLGUC7j
KRHVb/MDzIRVOalfTipyE2z96r1XeGG8xs88IDyrIhFpW405TQMe
4RvH909t74xheTeX0PT+/tyg7YHdnKj4m+CAVOr5gWs00Fo+gzss
5LGGN+afHT+8+o9G+c2s06h/CiQHVchF5Ry2fkvNaOURc3PQrZ+a
UoeNIEQhVXDGSg5uSFJjO9+f7r559XjNv778Of7S+5Vu0A220DW4
QI+1BcP7sv1TJWClM89u6A+2vjtrlzfbFyTNyalcE6B2Lk4hPD4G
Gibd0BMH0MqtbZyM+ngTrZ+q0q+KOWDXa0DGnFaOp+S4rUUWcB+Z
rhQrzg5cWTAwtV5pIf3B8W9URFfaKErOZgz0EuoIDNa41syjt8XX
4f6SUAH39XVyVlzhiRfcOMOfv7y05N/sQaGvw==<<<

MrPlate
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrPlate »

Also mineral rocks always spawn alone, can something fix that?

mxpal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mxpal »

Riktol wrote:
theres a green sci recipe that allows u to dig raw nexelit anywhere with the ground borer.

Riktol
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Riktol »

mxpal wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:31 am
Riktol wrote:
theres a green sci recipe that allows u to dig raw nexelit anywhere with the ground borer.
Ah thanks, that might be helpful, my map setting seem to have made oil really difficult because all the oil patches I can find are medium or bigger, so I can't use the level 1 (yellow) oil derricks on them (I've not tried the vanilla ones because I don't have niobium) and I also haven't seen any vanilla patches. I've just set up oil from level 1 (yellow) pumpjacks and now need to sort out why my power has gone.

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

Riktol wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:25 pm
mxpal wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:31 am
Riktol wrote:
Ah thanks, that might be helpful, my map setting seem to have made oil really difficult because all the oil patches I can find are medium or bigger, so I can't use the level 1 (yellow) oil derricks on them (I've not tried the vanilla ones because I don't have niobium) and I also haven't seen any vanilla patches. I've just set up oil from level 1 (yellow) pumpjacks and now need to sort out why my power has gone.
I'm going for oil sand myself. It is a bit of work but bitumen seems like good stuff with uses other than converting it to crude.

You can also get oil out of coal derivatives in various ways.

Return to “PyMods”