Design Questions

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

theblindironman
Inserter
Inserter

Design Questions

Post by theblindironman »

tl:dr. What's your preferred layout for Iron, Steel, Stainless Steel, and Super Steel?

I have just completed automating my production science pack. I am planning on revisiting my tier 2 iron/steel/stainless smelting to figure out the best way to add super steel. Currently, I have 3 isolated plants, each take iron ore in and produce only a single item. I am curious if y'all tackled the problem the same way or did you daisy chain them together. For a while, my iron plate producer was producing steel when there was no demand for iron plate. And looking at the amount of non-iron related ingredients that go into super-steel, I was thinking I would steal some molten stainless and make super. Or do I make a copy of my stainless set up and add additional ingredients to make it super. Just curious as to how its tackled by others.

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Design Questions

Post by reapersms »

Haven't gotten to Super Steel yet, and my stainless is not completely automated (phosphate and some of the others are sourced from chests I have to fill), but:

Iron/Steel production grew a bit organically from smelting processed -> plates, to processed -> molten, to unslimed -> molten. I have two setups right now.
One in the east just does iron plates, and grew out of the initial smelt lines. It got upgraded to processed->molten, then upgraded to unslimed after I got that sorted out in the other one.

The one in the west can do a full set of iron, steel, and stainless. It started as processed -> molten, then was redesigned for unslimed without needing to move the jaw crushers or drastically change the BOF column (other than shrinking it 70%). It fed a single casting machine to begin with. Later I bumped its capacity up, and tacked a couple of molten iron->molten steel ones onto the pipeline, feeding a single casting machine making steel plates.

After hitting the point where stainless was needed, I slapped together a bare minimum molten steel->molten stainless->stainless line nearby, and routed excess molten steel over to it. The layout was constrained a bit by the neighbors, and could be better. It was sized to feed 2 iron plate casting units originally, and hasn't been expanded too much from that yet. The iron slime process just sinkholes the pulp 01 for now, and there's an extra machine running the oxide+tailings->slime recipe to serve as a sink.

Future TODO plans are to reorganize it into more self contained city blocks, and relocate things to make it easier to scale up further, and also get the non-ore parts coming in on rail. When I get to that point, my plan was to have the molten bits just source unslimed iron and the other ingredients from the rail system, and have the ore->unslimed processing elsewhere. I'm not sure on how to size it, but I'm leaning towards just sizing it to be able to run 1-2 of each and let it back up on molten as needed, rather than getting some convoluted overflow valve setup going.

Naturally, the line is currently clogged up due to backpressure on the stone/gravel line out of the crushers, but that's getting rerouted to the rail lines to fill a bottomless hole for saline water, tar, and rich dust

mxpal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Design Questions

Post by mxpal »

20190420130737_1.jpg
20190420130737_1.jpg (881.67 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
both iron and steel share the same chain. steel is not used a lot, the spare time when iron is backed up should be more than enough for it

20190420130840_1.jpg
20190420130840_1.jpg (804.53 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
stainless steel, super steel and super alloy all in one go. its next to my iron chain and they all share similar ingredients so u only need one storehouse to rule them all. they arent used much either so no need to go for mass production

Return to “PyMods”