pY Petroleum Handling

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

Nyakko
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: pY Petroleum Handling

Post by Nyakko »

Small Oil Derrick: electric box smaller than collision box and sprite.
Attachments
20200125121627_2.jpg
20200125121627_2.jpg (295.67 KiB) Viewed 6952 times

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Nyakko wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 am
Small Oil Derrick: electric box smaller than collision box and sprite.
first off theres no such thing as an electric box. second that cant/ wont be fixed do to limitations with the game and making the dual gas/oil pumping feature work the collision box has to be shrunk by one tile to make it work

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

hahahaa that was funny hahahaha
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Squelch wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:05 pm
[Edit to add]
The only thing that triggers me as in any way unrealistic, is gasoline vs petroleum. They are the same thing, but interchangeable names (British commonwealth English vs US English) and I find it hard to reconcile every time I come across needing one or other for a recipe. I've grown used to being able to switch between, and use them depending on real life situations. Nexelit, is a fantasy substance, and that I can handle I hasten to add. :D
Mecejide wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:45 pm
But there's no item called "petroleum".
Hmm, is it still about "vanilla" Petroleum Gas ?
Because (despite its icon of Ethene = Ethylene ), the fractional distillation schematics are pretty clear about it ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_refin ... r_products
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation

So, for vanilla :
Petroleum Gas = Butane & Propane (gases, not liquids)
Light Oil = Gasoline(Petrol), Kerosene, Diesel Oil, Fuel Oil (liquids)
Heavy Oil = Lubricating oil, Parrafin Wax, Asphalt (Quite viscous liquids)

Ethylene is a precursor to polyethylene, a plastic. It's commonly produced by steam cracking of Ethane, which itself comes from either Natural Gas (1-6% Ethane, 94-99% Methane - yes the same CH4 that is produced in Py by those plants in the blue glass greenhouse (bluehouse?), what is their name, damn it ?!)
- or Ethylene is also produced from Petroleum Gas it seems, which in addition to Butane (C4H10) and Propane (C3H8), contains a little bit of Ethane (C2H6) ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:52 pm
Hmm, is it still about "vanilla" Petroleum Gas ?
Because (despite its icon of Ethene = Ethylene ), the fractional distillation schematics are pretty clear about it ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_refin ... r_products
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation

So, for vanilla :
Petroleum Gas = Butane & Propane (gases, not liquids)
Light Oil = Gasoline(Petrol), Kerosene, Diesel Oil, Fuel Oil (liquids)
Heavy Oil = Lubricating oil, Parrafin Wax, Asphalt (Quite viscous liquids)

Ethylene is a precursor to polyethylene, a plastic. It's commonly produced by steam cracking of Ethane, which itself comes from either Natural Gas (1-6% Ethane, 94-99% Methane - yes the same CH4 that is produced in Py by those plants in the blue glass greenhouse (bluehouse?), what is their name, damn it ?!)
- or Ethylene is also produced from Petroleum Gas it seems, which in addition to Butane (C4H10) and Propane (C3H8), contains a little bit of Ethane (C2H6) ?
Hey, thanks for the detailed breakdown.

What I was referring to, was the terms used. Petroleum gas (usually shortened to petrol) and gasoline are the same thing in real life, as per your second image, but are two distinctly different recipes in Py.

[Edit to explain before it goes too far]
Perhaps I should expand. It is a language thing, and the difference between American English and British English in much the same way as Aluminum vs Aluminium. At first, I thought it was a humorous play on the differences, (I had already noted the aluminium ore vs bauxite reference) but they are two completely different liquids in Py. When I see gasoline, I think petrol, and incorrectly start to build a chain to make petrol. It is entirely my issue, and I'm sure I'll get over it and adapt :laughing:

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

AFAIK, the usual misunderstanding is that petroleum gas (mostly Propane and Butane, gasses under usual conditions) is, on the contrary, and how can be seen from my second image, different from gasoline (aka petrol), which is often abbreviated to just "gas".

And it gets even worse if you add other languages : Pétrole is crude oil in French while Gasoil stands for diesel, crude oil is Нефть in Russian (sounds a lot like naphta, which also referred to crude oil in older English, but seems to have a quite different meaning now ?)

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Hehe, yes the various names that are commonly used for what are effectively equivalent, makes life interesting. Benzin or Benzine and variations of, for petrol (gas) in many other languages (German, Russian, Italian etc) or even Essence (French), and then the variations on Gas such as Gasolina (Spanish)

I had always considered petroleum gas in the base game as derivatives of petrol (gas) without much further thought, so your point, and distinction there does make perfect sense.

[Note:]
Benzine and Benzene are often mixed up, and are in fact two different compounds.
[Note 2:]
I hadn't considered that petroleum gas was LPG either in case that wasn't clear. Merely in terms of a coarse, simplified definition of the upper distillates of crude, so technically, would include the gases of Butane and Propane etc.

Who knew that the petrochemical industry could be so confusing?

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

remember its a game, not a real life borig simulator, sooner or later we are forced to take some freedom or the simple process to make gasoline would be a chain the size of my blue science. Of course i know each process to make anything i put in my mods, but i also had to take artistic freedom to not turn it into an even bigger nightmare.
pY Coal processing mod

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Completely understandable, and the latitude you take is fair and balanced in my opinion. What started as a throw away comment about the terms used meant in jest, backfired on me and seems to have been misinterpreted. It has provided an opportunity to uncover and learn more regardless.

I think perhaps the root of the misunderstanding (on my part) is the crossover, and maybe even conflict, between the simplified vanilla chain, and Py. Did you consider replacing the vanilla chain entirely with your own? I'm guessing the answer to that is probably the modular nature of your suite.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Ah yes, I was wondering about that, but the modular nature indeed explains it ?
(You can try to have mods that expand on other mods (including "base" mod) to hide previous recipes, but it can get hard to balance and/or unwieldy, see AngelBob interactions for instance... especially when using them with "recipe discovery" mods like Helmod !)

ShadowGlass
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShadowGlass »

I've found this interesting:

Petroleum inputs into common goods

It's quite amazing how much of it is covered by PyPH. It's also scary how much simpler PyPH is than reality. And it's safe to assume this chart is also just an oversimplification of even more complex stuff.

Also, apparently there's PyGas :D. How come that didn't make it into the mod?

Serious question: Are you planning a PyPH -> Agro-chemicals (various pesticides mostly) -> PyAl connection?

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Beautiful chart! Thanks
pY Coal processing mod

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

I have big balance question for lubricant getting recipe
Getting lubricant from low distillates with titanium tetrachloride recipe is less effective than vanilla recipe :!:
Explanation
I can get 200 heavy oil from 100 low distillates then get 100 lubricant
When using titanium tetrachloride i'm suing 100 low distillates and i'll get 150 lubricant, that's unfair, since reactions involving a catalyst should have higher efficiency
I think there must be not 100 lubricasnt on output but 300 lubricant :D

And after some updates vanilla oil processing recipes are deleted so we need to delete vanilla lubricant getting recipe too why not? Looks like mistake that the vanilla lubricant getting recipe isn't deleted
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

As it is, you never unlock vanilla lubricant, so the comparison isn't really appropriate. An existing save may still have it unlocked. In principle forcing technology updates would remove it, but I'm not 100% on that.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

try lube from aromatics

and yes things are weird now without vanilla oil

Loil has little use now except power making and solid fuel for trains
hoil also has litle uses now

and yes i know there are small amounts needed for metals but that is by far not a large amount

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

immortal_sniper1 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:10 pm
try lube from aromatics

and yes i know there are small amounts needed for metals but that is by far not a large amount
So u understood i wanted to say that the making lubricant with titanium tetrachloride must be more efficient then now
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

fish oil also looks ok

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

aklesey1 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:31 pm
immortal_sniper1 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:10 pm
try lube from aromatics

So u understood i wanted to say that the making lubricant with titanium tetrachloride must be more efficient then now
It should be better than desulfurizing aromatics, which it isn't really (especially not without pyal, but really with it too). But it is somewhat convenient to make it that way anyway since the grease recipe is quite nice.

aberro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by aberro »

This mod has undeclared dependency on pY High Tech, in data.lua:188-195.
You should add optional dependency in info.json.

Return to “PyMods”