Moderator: pyanodon

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: PyBlock (alpha)

Post by kingarthur »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:08 am

As alternative to returning a lamp 95% of the time the lamp could be a special fuel. So producing HCl would require lamps as fuel for the building. A building can require fuel for just some recipes, right?
no it can only ever have a single energy source. recipes can not modify that

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

kingarthur wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:19 am
mrvn wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:08 am

As alternative to returning a lamp 95% of the time the lamp could be a special fuel. So producing HCl would require lamps as fuel for the building. A building can require fuel for just some recipes, right?
no it can only ever have a single energy source. recipes can not modify that
Too bad. Then we would be in the "new building" territory.

I thought advanced furnaced used hot air as energy source for most stuff but for example not for steel. But they use hot air as ingreedience, not energy source. I would love to see some furnaces using heat pipes and heat as energy source.

t0d
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by t0d »

Hi kingarthur, I'm enjoying your mod quite a bit.

I'd like to suggest a couple of improvements for the crude distructive distilation column:
1. Show overlay on tar/coalgas outputs in Alt-mode;
2. Set a recipe on the crude column like you can with the regular one. This would help when belt feeding, because i found if the flow if the input slows down (coal or wood) they switch to distiling the coke fuel which is not desirable.

Cheers!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Should fluids be scaled back?

Post by mrvn »

I've been playing with PyBlock quite some time now and I'm wondering about the amount of fluids used.

On the plus side stack size of many things is increased to 500, some even 1000 so train wagons have a much higher throughput per train wagon. On the down side recipes often use a lot of items. Often 2-4 assembler type buildings will fill a yellow belt.

Now if you look at the fluid side the amount of fluids used or produced kind of matches the large amounts of solids used. But this causes a few problems for me:

1) pipes only have a limited throughput and there is only one kind of pipe. No yellow/red/blue progression to get more fluid flow. With assembler type buildings of tire one I fear I'm already maxing out the fluid flow with as little as 8 buildings for some things. How will that scale to tire 2, 3, 4?

2) Fluid wagons only hold 25000 units of fluids. Using the same size trains for solids and fluids needs a lot more frequent fluid trains than solids. I'm currently using LC and LFFFLFFF trains and still thing fluids trains are way to frequent compared to solids.

So I'm thinking: Should maybe all fluids in recipes be divided by 10 or something?

Anyone else think fluid amounts are out of balance with solids?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Zinc and glass unbalnced?

Post by mrvn »

Note: I'm still at the red/green science level. No blue science in sight. I have circuit boards automated and working towards Niobium.

Another thing I think is unbalanced: Zinc. I'm not sure when but recently the zinc bore recipe changed to need drilling fluid 2.

Now why is that a problem? Big power poles need niobium. Some other buildings need niobium too. There are many steps involved in creating Niobium plates and I don't see any way around using Zinc. And only way to make Zinc is ground boring. And that drilling fluid 2 kicks of a huge chain of even more steps.

This feels to complex for something you need to get past the "simple" green circuit boards. If a zinc-from-tailings recipe would make it too easy how about throwing in a 1% chance for zinc ore somewhere else or something?

And last for today: What's up with the glass recipe from "simplicity"? It's
A) needs glass to research (so people will already have build the sand -> quartz -> glass factory)
B) needs more sand than the initial glass recipe (450 vs. 600 sands for 15 glass/s)
C) needs far more buildings than the initial glass recipe (184 vs. 692 not counting sand production for 15 glass/s)
D) needs additional coal
E) needs much more complex buildings (shard crystalizer + basic oxygen furnace)

How can that be called "simplicity"?

"Simplicity 2" then adds a "better" glass recipe. It does reduce the number of buildings (down to 416) but increases the material cost. I think with the increased sand needed it still needs more space than the initial glass recipe.

I'm assuming this is some left over from non-pyblock where quartz isn't made from sand but mined. Might make sense to simply disable those recipes in pyblock or change them to actually have an advantage.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Zinc and glass unbalnced?

Post by kingarthur »

mrvn wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:36 am
Note: I'm still at the red/green science level. No blue science in sight. I have circuit boards automated and working towards Niobium.

Another thing I think is unbalanced: Zinc. I'm not sure when but recently the zinc bore recipe changed to need drilling fluid 2.

Now why is that a problem? Big power poles need niobium. Some other buildings need niobium too. There are many steps involved in creating Niobium plates and I don't see any way around using Zinc. And only way to make Zinc is ground boring. And that drilling fluid 2 kicks of a huge chain of even more steps.

This feels to complex for something you need to get past the "simple" green circuit boards. If a zinc-from-tailings recipe would make it too easy how about throwing in a 1% chance for zinc ore somewhere else or something?
i havnt had a chance to look at the boring recipes since pyanodon made that change i will take a look at it soon.

A) needs glass to research (so people will already have build the sand -> quartz -> glass factory)
B) needs more sand than the initial glass recipe (450 vs. 600 sands for 15 glass/s)
C) needs far more buildings than the initial glass recipe (184 vs. 692 not counting sand production for 15 glass/s)
D) needs additional coal

"Simplicity 2" then adds a "better" glass recipe. It does reduce the number of buildings (down to 416) but increases the material cost. I think with the increased sand needed it still needs more space than the initial glass recipe.

I'm assuming this is some left over from non-pyblock where quartz isn't made from sand but mined. Might make sense to simply disable those recipes in pyblock or change them to actually have an advantage.
i have no idea what your talking about here. what is simplicity? doesnt seem to be a pymods thing

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Zinc and glass unbalnced?

Post by mrvn »

kingarthur wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 am

D) needs additional coal

i have no idea what your talking about here. what is simplicity? doesnt seem to be a pymods thing
It's from the "Py Functional" mod by Slasherbane. I will go bug him about it. Sorry.

super_aardvark
Inserter
Inserter

Crash

Post by super_aardvark »

I just started my first PyBlock game, with only the required mods and no others, on Factorio 0.17.79. I saved the game, and now that I'm coming back to it, the game is crashing about 8 seconds after I load it. This happens even if I make no inputs, and also if I stop my two stone furnaces from producing, which are the only things doing anything on the map.

Here's the crash message:
The mod Pyanodons Coal Processing caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event pycoalprocessing::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
__pycoalprocessing__/scripts/resource-generation.lua:242: bad argument #2 of 2 to 'random' (interval is empty)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'random'
__pycoalprocessing__/scripts/resource-generation.lua:242: in function 'nonstartspawn'
__pycoalprocessing__/scripts/resource-generation.lua:477: in function 'handler'
__stdlib__/stdlib/event/event.lua:315: in function 'pcall'
__stdlib__/stdlib/event/event.lua:335: in function 'dispatch_event'
__stdlib__/stdlib/event/event.lua:413: in function <__stdlib__/stdlib/event/event.lua:369>

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Crash

Post by kingarthur »

super_aardvark wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 am
I just started my first PyBlock game, with only the required mods and no others, on Factorio 0.17.79. I saved the game, and now that I'm coming back to it, the game is crashing about 8 seconds after I load it. This happens even if I make no inputs, and also if I stop my two stone furnaces from producing, which are the only things doing anything on the map.

Here's the crash message:
The mod Pyanodons Coal Processing caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event pycoalprocessing::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
__pycoalprocessing__/scripts/resource-generation.lua:242: bad argument #2 of 2 to 'random' (interval is empty)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'random'
__pycoalprocessing__/scripts/resource-generation.lua:242: in function 'nonstartspawn'
__pycoalprocessing__/scripts/resource-generation.lua:477: in function 'handler'
__stdlib__/stdlib/event/event.lua:315: in function 'pcall'
__stdlib__/stdlib/event/event.lua:335: in function 'dispatch_event'
__stdlib__/stdlib/event/event.lua:413: in function <__stdlib__/stdlib/event/event.lua:369>
are all the mods up to date and your defently using pyblock? this code shouldnt even be running if pyblock is enabled.

super_aardvark
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Crash

Post by super_aardvark »

kingarthur wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 am
are all the mods up to date and your defently using pyblock? this code shouldnt even be running if pyblock is enabled.
Aha! All my mods were up to date, but I had set the Active Version for pycoal to some much earlier version long ago. I recommend updating PyBlock's dependencies to require newer versions (it requires pycoalprocessing >= 0.3.7, the version I was using was 1.2.something, and the latest version is 1.4.9).

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

its finally and offically updated to v.18 and added pyalienlife

super_aardvark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by super_aardvark »

Just started a new game. Simple Circuit Board requires Seaweed, Seaweed requires a Basic Seaweed Crop Facility MK 00, and that requires Simple Circuit Board. After mining all of the wrecked ship pieces I can see, I don't have any of those things. Am I missing anything?

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

super_aardvark wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 pm
Just started a new game. Simple Circuit Board requires Seaweed, Seaweed requires a Basic Seaweed Crop Facility MK 00, and that requires Simple Circuit Board. After mining all of the wrecked ship pieces I can see, I don't have any of those things. Am I missing anything?
In normal PyAL you just fish up some seaweed to get started, can you do that in PyBlock? (Haven't played PyBlock.)

razahin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by razahin »

super_aardvark wrote:
I had plenty of seaweed in the water a little ways away from my wreckage pieces.

@kingarthur
I also just started a new game, I was able to get to seaweed and move onto wood production. Everything seemed find, and that I should produce wood from logs, which are produced with steam in the slowwood forestry building. The problem that I ran into, is this is a net negative in terms of wood so I'm on my last couple hundred. I'm looking for ways to fuel my furnaces and boilers but wood seems to be my only option and it costs more than it makes. Am I missing something also? Do I need to rush electricity and try to get into the sapling recipe early?

** EDIT **

After taking a break and looking at it with fresh eyes, it looks like I missed that you can create raw coal from seaweed in the crude DDC. So my problem is solved.

** END EDIT **

Anyhow, this is a really cool new addition and probably going to be my new favorite way of playing PyMods since I always get map / layout analysis paralysis. I also think its really cool that you left in the Reserves / Big Rocks, I really love the art and animations Py did for those.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

super_aardvark wrote:
prettty sure thats from like bobs and this has no compatibility with other overhaul mods

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Blokus wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:45 pm
super_aardvark wrote:
In normal PyAL you just fish up some seaweed to get started, can you do that in PyBlock? (Haven't played PyBlock.)
Yes that is still a thing. Along with fishes

super_aardvark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by super_aardvark »

kingarthur wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:50 am
super_aardvark wrote:
prettty sure thats from like bobs and this has no compatibility with other overhaul mods
What is? I don't have any mods enabled except Py stuff.

Anyway, I completely missed that you could get seaweed from the water. There was only a single fish within sight of my starting spot -- I had to go a couple of chunks to the south to find some. So, problem solved.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I just started a new game too.

I've run into a problem crafting automation science. For that I need incubated petri dish, which is unlocked by composting, which requires automation science.

Same problem with methanol being locked behind methanol processing.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

mrvn wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:39 pm

I've run into a problem crafting automation science. For that I need incubated petri dish, which is unlocked by composting, which requires automation science.

No it isn't and you don't need methonal anywhere in the first two science packs

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

kingarthur wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:08 pm
mrvn wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:39 pm

No it isn't and you don't need methonal anywhere in the first two science packs
My bad. Helmod said I need methanol but that the "fuel" for the glassworks. I can change that.

Return to “PyMods”