pY Coal Processing - Discussion

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

OldFritz
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] pY Coal Processing

Post by OldFritz »

I just installed bob/angel's mods to see what i am missing. And well... it is a hellofalot, to put it very mildly.
And all authors are yet in "work in progress" mode. I can't really believe it.

Well, another Restart it is then. It will probably take, huh, kinda 2 months to get used to everything, but i surely will enjoy it. In a veeery masochistic way.
As if it wasn't addicting enough. :D

I'll send an mail to Wube, asking if a donation system could be integrated. So many people put so many effort in their mods, the big overhauls even on an, i'd say majestic level,it is simply not fair to just download it.

Thank you, thank you all for your time, skill and effort!

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

pyanodon wrote: Yes you´re correct. Please use the most recent release (BETA) we posted some pages ago to make sure you have all things :) Iron Oxide can be burned in any furnace to produce iron plates...and coke can be used as burn fuel to boilers and such. Tar can be processed in the beta release and creosote for now is used only for rails and posts. Soon more uses.
I consider that for the sake of balance we can add the recipe - restoration of iron ore from iron oxide - https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media ... c87066be00
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote: I consider that for the sake of balance we can add the recipe - restoration of iron ore from iron oxide - https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media ... c87066be00

That was one of the reasons i created a fictional ore.

Also, there's no furnaces with outputs.
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

pyanodon wrote:
aklesey1 wrote: I consider that for the sake of balance we can add the recipe - restoration of iron ore from iron oxide - https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media ... c87066be00

That was one of the reasons i created a fictional ore.

Also, there's no furnaces with outputs.
We can do it in chemical plant or electolyzer, why not? But for now its only idea, though it and realistic? Do u remember about recipe for nickel which can get sulfuric acid?

Tisaku
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tisaku »

I just installed this mod to go with Bob's and Angel's that I'm running and for the most part I like it. But one massive, ginormous thing has jumped out at me as just WTF?
Why is creosote, which is the black stuff that wooden power poles are impregnated with for weatherproofing, required to make medium power poles... which are made out of steel?

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Tisaku wrote:I just installed this mod to go with Bob's and Angel's that I'm running and for the most part I like it. But one massive, ginormous thing has jumped out at me as just WTF?
Why is creosote, which is the black stuff that wooden power poles are impregnated with for weatherproofing, required to make medium power poles... which are made out of steel?

And copper!
pY Coal processing mod

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

Tisaku wrote:I just installed this mod to go with Bob's and Angel's that I'm running and for the most part I like it. But one massive, ginormous thing has jumped out at me as just WTF?
Don't you accidentally have this mod on too?
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/serithwing/EveryUpgrade

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Hasn't up to the end understood what relation this mod has to PYCP?

Offtop - how do u like new awesome textures for ores in 0.15, people? NAd yes this new coal for our PYCP is cool :D
Last edited by aklesey1 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

This looked quite interesting so I gave it a try as a neat optional method to create power between the boiler and nuclear phase. But that's just the main issue, due to creosote this mod ceases to be an optional power source and instead is absolutely mandatory to make the most important item in the game, the medium power poles.

I simply can't understand why this change exists. Not only do you need thousands of medium poles in game, but you're forced to burn coal through this setup to do so. So even if you intend to go full solar or nuclear, you're intentionally burning coal and making pollution to create the most critical item in the game. Why?

Secondly, why are the production facilities so power hungry? It feels odd that after the effort of making the entire setup for the most purified SynGas and best generators, around 60% of generated power was usable as the remaining 40% were used by the SynGas production facilities to keep it running. This seemed far less efficient than it was worth so I ultimately used it for a short period of time as my power backup system... except I wasn't able to due to the high demand of medium power poles. So I ultimately removed the mod.

Not to bash the the work you've done, it shows great promise, but I'm very interested in knowing why you made these design decisions. Especially restricting the most important item in the game to force the mods use, which is very bad practice.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Light wrote:This looked quite interesting so I gave it a try as a neat optional method to create power between the boiler and nuclear phase. But that's just the main issue, due to creosote this mod ceases to be an optional power source and instead is absolutely mandatory to make the most important item in the game, the medium power poles.

I simply can't understand why this change exists. Not only do you need thousands of medium poles in game, but you're forced to burn coal through this setup to do so. So even if you intend to go full solar or nuclear, you're intentionally burning coal and making pollution to create the most critical item in the game. Why?

Secondly, why are the production facilities so power hungry? It feels odd that after the effort of making the entire setup for the most purified SynGas and best generators, around 60% of generated power was usable as the remaining 40% were used by the SynGas production facilities to keep it running. This seemed far less efficient than it was worth so I ultimately used it for a short period of time as my power backup system... except I wasn't able to due to the high demand of medium power poles. So I ultimately removed the mod.

Not to bash the the work you've done, it shows great promise, but I'm very interested in knowing why you made these design decisions. Especially restricting the most important item in the game to force the mods use, which is very bad practice.

Creosote will have several uses with the progress of this mod. For now its used to treat wood, make rails and medium poles. Cant you make an assembly machine to build your electic poles and put them in a box??. About the power consumed it will be adjusted in the balances. Even thought youre the first one to complain about that suject. Of you dont want to use coal, why are you using this mod? Lol. Its called coal processing for a reason.
pY Coal processing mod

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

pyanodon wrote:
Light wrote:This looked quite interesting so I gave it a try as a neat optional method to create power between the boiler and nuclear phase. But that's just the main issue, due to creosote this mod ceases to be an optional power source and instead is absolutely mandatory to make the most important item in the game, the medium power poles.

Creosote will have several uses with the progress of this mod. For now its used to treat wood, make rails and medium poles. Cant you make an assembly machine to build your electic poles and put them in a box??. About the power consumed it will be adjusted in the balances. Even thought youre the first one to complain about that suject. Of you dont want to use coal, why are you using this mod? Lol. Its called coal processing for a reason.
I can tell you didn't read it through given the rapid reply and not providing a proper answer.

I certainly have no issues with using coal, and this mod seems great for the mid game and then in the late game as a backup system. When reactors and solar meet power requirements, this processing plant is left idle. When it's required to help with power demand I expect it to kick in and do a great job at meeting said demand by burning the coal quite efficiently. But due to creosole I have to constantly keep it running even if it's not exactly needed at the moment, this seems wasteful, especially given the importance of coal in Angel's mods, you certainly don't want to burn through more than you have to.

If this mod was intended to be used as the only source of power in the entire game, then I didn't see that information. Generally speaking all power mods are optional to supplement power requirements as needed, not as a full out replacement of everything out there.

This is why the change mystifies me and why I asked a legitimate question and expecting a proper answer, not a snarky reply that's attempting to insult me for what you claim to be obvious.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Rich dust from PYCP will have only one application? Whether there will be it in any way to be crossed with a yuoki rich dust or she will have other features? If it has features that let it won't clash with yuoki rich dust
I know it can be the imbalance and it is strange and inconvenient, when 2 intersеting mods will interact with each other and cause some strange issues, but may be yuoki rich dust can be usfel, just curious idea ;) :mrgreen:

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote:Rich dust from PYCP will have only one application? Whether there will be it in any way to be crossed with a yuoki rich dust or she will have other features? If it has features that let it won't clash with yuoki rich dust
I know it can be the imbalance and it is strange and inconvenient, when 2 intersеting mods will interact with each other and cause some strange issues, but may be yuoki rich dust can be usfel, just curious idea ;) :mrgreen:

Ohhh. Rich dust will have lots of uses here. Dont worry. The top advanced technologies will use it.
pY Coal processing mod

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Hello fellow builders!

Long time uh? Well, going on here i took a lot of time to model that structure and probably will help you a lot mid-end game to satisfy your hungry for big production. Thanks to Nexelit excavation, we can use that precious alien metal to build and keep the advanced foundry.

Where you can cast good amounts of metal plates (10 each cycle) if you provide it a constant flow of raw resources.
This building can almost duplicate the production of plates of any common resource in the game.

Here and example of how to double iron production:

And here it running at full gas! :D

This WIP will be part of the blue science tier of this mod that still on production. Stable green tier will be updated on modportal after 0.15 come out and Nexela break some rocks XD.
Last edited by pyanodon on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
pY Coal processing mod

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Looks cool? it's looks like u guys making useful addition to angel smelting mod
But how about smelting lines for another metals - copper, nickel, zinc, titanium and another and another

I hope we will be able to receive a big count of iron plates

P. S. I lay hopes that when 0.15 will be out in the end of march ur mod with completed technology green will be able on mod portal guys, and yes u still thinking it can be called only "Coal Processing"? We need to think? may be it will be "Advanced Processing" or as that so ;)

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote:But how about smelting lines for another metals - copper, nickel, zinc, titanium and another and another
I said the iron was an example...this building can be used to smelting all the plates in the game. Just exchange the iron ore for other primary ore and it wil smelt it.
pY Coal processing mod

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

pyanodon wrote:
aklesey1 wrote:But how about smelting lines for another metals - copper, nickel, zinc, titanium and another and another
I said the iron was an example...this building can be used to smelting all the plates in the game. Just exchange the iron ore for other primary ore and it wil smelt it.
Okey, excuse me pyanodon probably I have hurried with conclusions, but what do u think, we should create certain conditions for melting of this or that metal, for example titanium or gold or tungsten

After looking at the scheme i'm thinking that i'll need little bit more creosote for this advanced smelting than if I used him on other purposes? Isn't i? Creosote begins to have some rarity

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote:we should create certain conditions for melting of this or that metal, for example titanium or gold or tungsten
That´s interesting, but if i go deep into smelting, the mod will lose their main goal which is provide new ways to generate energy by coal processing in several levels. Of course, after conclusion, i can invest my time in expand the smelting area as well as others...but for now, i must focus on the energy generation.

aklesey1 wrote:After looking at the scheme i'm thinking that i'll need little bit more creosote for this advanced smelting than if I used him on other purposes? Isn't i? Creosote begins to have some rarity
You got it! ;) I warned people here that creosote will have future uses...nothing in my mod is made to be a waste resource. Well, that´s the idea :D But dont worry, even with low creosote we will have an alternative recipe to make the sandcasting with olefins for example.
pY Coal processing mod

StormTAG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by StormTAG »

Hrrmmm... When you say "double iron" are you talking about throughput or are you literally getting twice as much iron plates for the same amount of ore?

If the latter, it's going to be interesting to see how you balance it. If Nexelit is too easy to get, it'll be overpowered and completely over shadow regular furnaces. If it's too rare, this will only ever be used for extremely niche situations. As your mod grows, I imagine it's going to get harder and harder to balance. Good luck!

Sweet looking model!

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

StormTAG wrote:Hrrmmm... When you say "double iron" are you talking about throughput or are you literally getting twice as much iron plates for the same amount of ore?

If the latter, it's going to be interesting to see how you balance it. If Nexelit is too easy to get, it'll be overpowered and completely over shadow regular furnaces. If it's too rare, this will only ever be used for extremely niche situations. As your mod grows, I imagine it's going to get harder and harder to balance. Good luck!

Sweet looking model!
THank you!

Double is a hard word...it should be "increased". Since you need to make the castings and the fuel rod and extracting limestone, the results must worth the investment. Will be a pain to balance i agree. Nexelit ore can be extracted from anywhere in the ground, that´s the easy part. But it will consume lube , drill heads and coalgas to work...so i think the difficulty of nexelit is kinda balanced.

The main idea of that advance foundry is indeed overcome the furnaces in the mid-end game if you setup a good production chain for their requirements. BUT not necessary if you dont want. What i did was an alternative that worth the risk in some situations.
pY Coal processing mod

Return to “PyMods”