[posila] [for 0.17] [0.15.2] Low fps when game window is active (caused by NVIDIA G-Sync)

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[posila] [for 0.17] [0.15.2] Low fps when game window is active (caused by NVIDIA G-Sync)

Post by Bart »

I started a game in 0.14. Link: http://lingen.nu/lowfps.zip

When I open the game in 0.15.2, the framerate is very low, but the problem isn't low ups. I know this because I have a dual screen setup. When I'm typing this, the Chrome-windows is active, and Factorio is running at 60fps on my other monitor. When I go back to the game, it slows down to 20fps. Screenshots:

In the above picture, Chrome is active.

In this picture, the game is active. Why is the fps so low? It was way better in 0.14.
I have the cape.
I make the fucking whoosh noises.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.2] low fps when game window is active

Post by posila »

Hi, try to disable G-sync for windowed applications (or just for Factorio). For some reason, g-sync behaves like this with Factorio sometimes.

Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.2][posila] low fps when game window is active

Post by Bart »

That fixed the problem, thnx!

For other people with the same problem, this is the way to go:
I have the cape.
I make the fucking whoosh noises.

exi123
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.2][posila] Low fps when game window is active (caused by NVIDIA G-Sync)

Post by exi123 »

Anyone else struggeling with this behaviour in factorio without a multimonitor setup? i have massive perfomance issues with jumping fps and i dont know why. the ups are on 60, but the fps are jumping from 30-55... :(

Harkonnen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.15.2][posila] Low fps when game window is active (caused by NVIDIA G-Sync)

Post by Harkonnen »

I have noticed that DirectX applications are dropping to 20fps when you switch windows with Win-Tab (that is when they are shown as slides in 3D). So I think this problem is caused by Windows treating Factorio as background app when it's actually foreground.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila] [for 0.17] [0.15.2] Low fps when game window is active (caused by NVIDIA G-Sync)

Post by posila »

Hello, we are rewriting our rendering code to use DirectX 11 instead of DirectX 9 for 0.17, so let me know if it still happens in 0.17

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”