All mods from Reika

Moderator: Reika

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Geothermal - A clean, but powerful power source all day long

Post by mmmPI »

not sure if that would help but hey
EDIT : That is an old map i have stopped playing i am not asking for anything, was just curious to see how my old base looked and thought i would try to look the for the wells with the new 0.17
lookingforwells1.png
lookingforwells1.png (878.39 KiB) Viewed 6555 times

capthavic
Inserter
Inserter

Post by capthavic »

Well whatever the case I can't get them spawn reliably to be worth the trouble. Even making the whole map volcanic/arctic isn't a sure thing. They don't show on the preview map when they do spawn which doesn't help things. Guess I'll stick with the usual power sources, thanks anyway.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

capthavic wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:50 am
Well whatever the case I can't get them spawn reliably to be worth the trouble. Even making the whole map volcanic/arctic isn't a sure thing. They don't show on the preview map when they do spawn which doesn't help things. Guess I'll stick with the usual power sources, thanks anyway.
Do you have any other mods installed that spawn or affect resources? You can see from my post just before your first one that I’m not having any problems with them *not* spawning. lol

I wonder if you were to look in your factorio log, or even double check the geothermal mod startup settings? I believe the frequency default is 1, and the default for the biomes is volcanic.

Note that for me, too, I don’t cut out any of the biomes from Alien Biomes. I let them all spawn, so sometimes have the go through a few map iterations before I see volcanic within the preview range.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:23 pm
capthavic wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:50 am
Do you have any other mods installed that spawn or affect resources? You can see from my post just before your first one that I’m not having any problems with them *not* spawning. lol

I wonder if you were to look in your factorio log, or even double check the geothermal mod startup settings? I believe the frequency default is 1, and the default for the biomes is volcanic.

Note that for me, too, I don’t cut out any of the biomes from Alien Biomes. I let them all spawn, so sometimes have the go through a few map iterations before I see volcanic within the preview range.
Additionally, wells have distance factored into their generation; they will not appear near the spawn and are rare when they first do appear.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

In 0.17.67, graphics for the chemical plant have been changed and some of the files from the base mod that your mod requires have been removed:

Code: Select all

File not found: __base__/graphics/entity/chemical-plant/hr-boiling-window-green-patch.png

Mods to be disabled:
• attach-notes
• assembler-pipe-passthrough
• Will-o-the-Wisps_updated
• Geothermal
Grepping through all these mods, I found that it's only your mod which requires that missing file. Here's a list of missing files required by your mod:

./Geothermal_1.17.12/prototypes/turbine.lua:436:            filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/chemical-plant/hr-boiling-window-green-patch.png",
EDIT: Sorry, had to cut the list because I noticed that only this one file is not included in your mod.
Last edited by Pi-C on Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

DarkNova
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DarkNova »

Did the Factorio developers change the graphics or where did the problem come from?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

DarkNova wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:43 pm
Did the Factorio developers change the graphics or where did the problem come from?
See the 0.17.67 announcement:
FactorioBot wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:47 pm
Graphics
  • New chemical plant graphics.
  • Heat pipes (also in reactors and heat exchangers) glow with high temperatures.
Guess they removed obsolete files from the base mod -- and if a mod tries to load these removed files, it will crash.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Bizobinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bizobinator »

I've been getting this error message when I try starting with GeoThermal...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.51 KiB) Viewed 6324 times

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Bizobinator wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:36 pm
I've been getting this error message when I try starting with GeoThermal...

Capture.PNG
Go back to Factorio version .66 and copy the images from the chemical-plant folder, then return to the latest version and restore them without replacing anything.

The boiling green patch images will then be there for this mod to reference and the game will start up.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I think it's a typo, in /prototypes/turbine.lua, line 436 :

filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/chemical-plant/hr-boiling-window-green-patch.png",
should be :

filename = "__Geothermal__/graphics/entity/chemical-plant/hr-boiling-window-green-patch.png",
?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Hi Reika,

could we have a "depletion" behavior like with oil patches?
I'm thinking along the lines of having different random starting yields that slowly shrink to a minimum yield. While not necessarily realistic, for balancing reasons this would seem useful to me. At the beginning it could give a lot of energy, and just a small surplus when it's "depleted".

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 pm
Hi Reika,

could we have a "depletion" behavior like with oil patches?
I'm thinking along the lines of having different random starting yields that slowly shrink to a minimum yield. While not necessarily realistic, for balancing reasons this would seem useful to me. At the beginning it could give a lot of energy, and just a small surplus when it's "depleted".
No, I specifically tuned it not to have that.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Reika wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 pm
Oh, I see. May I ask why you decided for a constant value instead of having it variable with a certain average?
I'm guessing a config option is also out of the question then. If so, would you mind if I make a mod that has yours as dependency and simply patches those values, for me and others that prefer a different kind of approach?

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:39 pm
Reika wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 pm
Oh, I see. May I ask why you decided for a constant value instead of having it variable with a certain average?
I'm guessing a config option is also out of the question then. If so, would you mind if I make a mod that has yours as dependency and simply patches those values, for me and others that prefer a different kind of approach?
I do not want to force the player to continually move geothermal infrastructure around, and moving around only the pumps and carrying the heated water to a more permanent processing facility also makes no sense - the water would not remain heated during transport. Given a good idea on implementation, I will be making that happen in the mod, meaning your addon would make using geothermal power a massive headache.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

My goal wasn't to force players to move infrastructure around, just to have a big starting effect with declining value over time - like most resources in this game. Depending on your minimum/maximum, you can have patches that infinitely(!) give 50%-150% of what you now give constantly. So even with depletion mechanics, the average output could stay the same...
moving around only the pumps and carrying the heated water to a more permanent processing facility also makes no sense - the water would not remain heated during transport
Well, but that's how it's currently implemented, no? You can easily move steam around, for example.
Given a good idea on implementation
Implementation of what exactly?
your addon would make using geothermal power a massive headache.
I don't think so, it should only give geothermal energy a starting boost while making it a bit weaker in the long run. Considering that, in the long run, you can easily use speed module to increase its value, not too bad, I'd say.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 pm
moving around only the pumps and carrying the heated water to a more permanent processing facility also makes no sense - the water would not remain heated during transport
Well, but that's how it's currently implemented, no? You can easily move steam around, for example.
Which is something I consider stupid and would make impossible if I could.
DarkShadow44 wrote:
Given a good idea on implementation
Implementation of what exactly?
How to make long-distance transport (and ideally storage) of heated water impossible.
DarkShadow44 wrote:
Considering that, in the long run, you can easily use speed module to increase its value, not too bad, I'd say.
That is also not supposed to be possible.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Agreed, that makes sense. Leaving my original question aside for now, would you accept pull requests for those issues?
The speed module issue is an easy fix, no idea why setting "allowed_effects" to "nil" doesn't work, but "{}" certainly should.
EDIT: Seems like mining devices are different, see viewtopic.php?p=339399#p339399

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:36 am
Agreed, that makes sense. Leaving my original question aside for now, would you accept pull requests for those issues?
The speed module issue is an easy fix, no idea why setting "allowed_effects" to "nil" doesn't work, but "{}" certainly should.
EDIT: Seems like mining devices are different, see viewtopic.php?p=339399#p339399
I never merge PRs, but feel free to post the code fix, and I will add it myself provided it will work.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Reika wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:13 pm
I never merge PRs, but feel free to post the code fix, and I will add it myself provided it will work.
Okay then. As noted, "allowed_effects = {}" does fix the modules issue on the geothermal generator.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:51 pm
Reika wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Okay then. As noted, "allowed_effects = {}" does fix the modules issue on the geothermal generator.
Done.

Return to “Reika's Mods”