Network appears to be breaking down with more and more erroneous orders being created

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

Miniman125
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Network appears to be breaking down with more and more erroneous orders being created

Post by Miniman125 »

Hello

I have a fairly reasonable network running with around 50 1-1 trains and hundreds of single supply /multiple demand stations. I disable delivery timeout to prevent trains going back to the depot still partially full because it only seemed to cause issues later down the line.

What I am seeing now is a gradual breakdown in my system where stations are grinding to a halt because erroneous deliveries have been requested. This has led to me spending almost all my time now running around trying to take care of individual trains and it's unsustainable.

Demand stations will have a full inventory with a delivery train sat there with full cargo. Why is this starting to happen so much? As I mentioned before, the system ran smoothly for a long time so I am confident it is properly configured. Most stations have a train limit of 2, but I assume it won't order the same thing twice?

Can low UPS, Large LTN network or updates cause LTN to miss a step?

Thank you

Sir_Jeffrey_Q
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Network appears to be breaking down with more and more erroneous orders being created

Post by Sir_Jeffrey_Q »

So, I'm having the exact same issue happening on my map. Have you had any luck getting it fixed?

To help anyone who might know what's wrong:

In my case, I also have a lot of single supply, multi request stations (probably around 30 of each), with a train limit of 1 for everything. I have run into a lot of issues with stations constantly requesting more and more trains, ignoring both the train limit and the fact that they don't need any more of the requested item. In the worst example, I had 5 trains all going to the same station, despite the fact that it totally didn't need any more of anything. I babysat a station at one point, and even though the requested amount of coal was 8000, and the station had 9600, it was still creating a request for more, and when I would manually send the train back to a depot, it would simply create another request.

In my case as well, things ran very smoothly for quite a while, and it's only been the last few hours of gameplay that have started having serious issues.

I will say, it's gotten incredibly frustrating, and ground this map to a complete standstill, as I now both have trains clogging up my main line everywhere, but I can't fix issues as fast as they happen.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Network appears to be breaking down with more and more erroneous orders being created

Post by Optera »

No, LTN is not skipping steps ever.

What probably happens with multi item providers is item pollution at requesters.

Sir_Jeffrey_Q
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sir_Jeffrey_Q »

Ok, so then what do you mean by that, and how do I fix it? And why would that allow LTN to be creating more requests than I have told it to allow for a given station?

Is LTN simply not capable of handling multi-item providers and requesters? I was under the impression that it is, and that is one of the main appeals of the mod and the system to me.

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

I babysat a station at one point, and even though the requested amount of coal was 8000, and the station had 9600, it was still creating a request for more,
Are you sure it was bringing more coal and not trying to pick up coal?
When a station gets delivered to much it sometimes flipps from being a requester to a provider. Which let's him call trains in that usually can't be serviced and sit there till time out.

Fixes:
Set a high provider threshold on the requester station so they can ever flip roles (if you set none standard is 1000 I think)
Or
Design your stations so that they stop feeding the train when the requested amount is in the train

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by khalismur »

Sir_Jeffrey_Q wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:48 am
Is LTN simply not capable of handling multi-item providers and requesters? I was under the impression that it is, and that is one of the main appeals of the mod and the system to me.
It is. I use universal provider stations on mall and requester in outposts of many items. As with 98% of all LTN problems, you might have item pollution or improper circuitry in your stations, the mod is like clockwork ;)

Sir_Jeffrey_Q
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sir_Jeffrey_Q »

Nosferatu wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 am
I babysat a station at one point, and even though the requested amount of coal was 8000, and the station had 9600, it was still creating a request for more,
Are you sure it was bringing more coal and not trying to pick up coal?
When a station gets delivered to much it sometimes flipps from being a requester to a provider. Which let's him call trains in that usually can't be serviced and sit there till time out.
Yes, I'm sure. I did run into the provider switch issue earlier on, and made sure to fix it going forward. All my requester stations have a provider limit of something like 5 million. Whenever I look over my base, there's at least 2 or 3 examples of fully loaded cargo trains waiting to try and get into an already filled station, and just clogging my lines. All my stations have train limits of one, due to the constraints of my map making it so that I don't have space for stackers, so these waiting trains cause havoc on my rails system. Am I just not understanding the train limits correctly? Does LTN's train limits mean something more like "1 train per item requested", rather than the vanilla universal "one train at a time to this station"? This wouldn't be at all intuitive to me, but would help answer at least one of my issues.

khalismur wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:55 pm

It is. I use universal provider stations on mall and requester in outposts of many items. As with 98% of all LTN problems, you might have item pollution or improper circuitry in your stations, the mod is like clockwork ;)
So, I see that both you and Optera mentioned this "Item pollution" idea. I'll admit, I have no idea what that means, or how to go about fixing it. I'm quite willing to accept that I screwed something up, I just have had a very frustrating time finding answers to issues - mostly cause I have no idea what the issues exactly are in the first place...

Thanks for being patient with me guys, my previous posts definitely came across as more frustrated than I intended, mostly cause I made them right after 2 or 3 hours of trying to solve the problems in game and getting nowhere. I give you all full permission to think of me as ridiculous :)

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

If you share your save someone can take a look and see if there's anything noticeably wrong?

Or just share a blueprint of one of the stations that is getting incorrect deliveries and of the corresponding station that the unwanted train was loaded at?

Zorku
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zorku »

I know another failure state that would do some of this:
Trains returning to a depot that doesn't clear the delivery.

I didn't think to document exactly what happened, but when I tried to copy and paste a stop I missed some of my circuit wires. Eventually caught trains just cycling the same orders- BUT they lacked the temp waypoints and delivered lots of mixed orders to the wrong stations.

-

Item pollution at your station generally refers to when your requestor station does not have room to accept the deliveries, either because you requested more items than it could hold or when some other item got into the storage and blocked up too many slots for deliveries that you used to have room for. This doesn't make sense if you're asking for 8k, have 9k, and deliveries are still coming in (the station does still have the storage connected to the lamp on the station block, right?) but there are some weird ways people wire stations sometimes so maybe.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”