[POLL] Message levels for unavailable train messages

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

What message level should no train messages be?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:03 am

1) Notification: no-train-found and empty-depot (current levels)
18%
2) Notification: no-train-found, Warning: empty-depot
18%
3) Warning: no-train-found, Notification: empty-depot
9%
4) Warning:no-train-found and empty-depot
55%

Total votes: 11

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[POLL] Message levels for unavailable train messages

Post by Optera »

Since I don't feel like changing message levels again and again here's a poll to let you choose how vocal LTN should be about unavailable trains.

no-train = No train to transport from "provider" to "requester" in networks...
empty-depot = No train to transport items/fluids found in depots...

Ralfinator
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [POLL] Message levels for unavailable train messages

Post by Ralfinator »

I laid down my reasoning for this in https://github.com/Yousei9/Logistic-Tra ... issues/217: I care less about concrete levels, but I think
  • no-train and empty-depot should be on the same level as "not enough resources provided". These are all similar in the sense that I need to take action and scale up my factory (add more trains or more production).
  • the level of the three messages mentioned above should be different from the level of "a delivery was successfully created". This is because (a) that message does not usually require me to take any action, and (b) that message shows up every 10s for my base and the base isn't even that big yet, and that high amount of messages makes it basically useless (the important messages mentioned above drown in the amount of regularly generated deliveries).
I do not care strongly what the level of no-train, empty-depot and not-enough-resources is called (warning or information or whatever), as long as it is different from delivery-created-successfully.

PS: Let me also use this opportunity to say, thanks a HUGE lot for this mod! The base we are building right now would be entirely impossible without LTN. I loved trains in Factorio even before I learned about this mod, but LTN brought my train networks to a whole new level. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think mods should make their own kind of log messages, because I find it generally annoying, if a mod displays game-relevant information in the general log; dozens of lines are pasted on the screen and hide on what you are currently working. If you have some mods, that do that it’s a source of distraction.

It’s ok to put in important messages here, like initialization messages, failures etc. - everything, that is not relevant for playing, but relevant that you can play.

I suggest this: a small LTN icon on top. A red circle shows how many messages are unread (like in apps). Clicking on the icon opens a window with that messages. At the bottom you can set the warn level, or set a filter. Filter could be about message type, station names, etc. When setting the level/filter, only that messages are logged. Because of that this can be reset to default with a button which sets the warn level to game-setting and reset the filter.

Someone should write a mod that does this for all mods. :) 8-) :lol: :mrgreen:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Add it to the base API akin to how print can display on player, force or game level and I'll use it.
Otherwise disable LTN messages and use LTNM.

Ralfinator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ralfinator »

Looks like the latest release changes this to warning, thanks a lot. :)

Return to “Logistic Train Network”