Bulk Transport vs many Mini Trains

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Bulk Transport vs many Mini Trains

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

My current world is a 512 Ribbon with RSO and Angels/Bobs. Nearest ore patches are 1000-2000 tiles from my Factory.

I'm wanting advise on how to proceed with resupply.

I could use 1-1-1 for everything, lots of trains means more traffic issues.
Or I could use some larger 2-4-0 trains to bring bulk ore into the Factory and then allow the 1-1-1 to distribute it around.

Which would be the better option?
What would be the pros/cons for each?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Bulk Transport vs many Mini Trains

Post by Optera »

I don't get why so many use tiny trains.
Even in base larger trains have better throughput. Distance greatly amplifies throughput benefits of large trains.

My supply are 1L-2C in case they have to transport material to build another factory.
For ore/plate transport anything below 6C would be too small for me.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

I'm running a semi-dense city grid style. There's enough room for 3 1-1-1 trains between intersections which leaves maximum building space in the centre.

I went with bi-directional because with bobs/angels there are many items that need more than 4 inputs plus the outputs and I can consense more stations in the same area (less loops/turns/bends)
And with the modded trains they accelerate fast enough to not have much issue zipping around.

Each little train can carry about 4k plates per delivery. Which is usually enough for a sufficient buffer.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I currently use LCC trains in combination with deadlocks stacks mod and extensions for all items that can be produced. Reduces bulk transport nearly completely. But is complicated when you need the uncompressed variant. It works the best way, if you produce the uncompressed items only in the base (from compressed) and the compressed in outposts it works more smooth.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Logistic Train Network”