New to LTN, question on requester stations and multiple items

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

razahin
Inserter
Inserter

New to LTN, question on requester stations and multiple items

Post by razahin »

Hello,

I am new to LTN, but have spent some time reading the manual, watching tutorials, and reading through the design thread. After trying to digest all of this information I am still unsure if my ideas are feasible with LTN. For background I am playing the entire PyMod suite which adds an enormous amount of intermediate items which I would like to handle with LTN if possible.

Goals
  • Limit the number of requester / provider stations at sub-factories
  • 1:1 or 1:2 trains
  • Limit one item type per train per delivery - accomplished by only providing entire train worth of items at a time
  • Limit use of logistics bots - a personal map goal
My idea is as follows, each sub-factory will have a limited set of requester stations dependent on item stack size. Each stack size 10, 100, 500, 1000 will get its own requester station, items that share a stack size would be delivered to that particular requester station. Each one of the sub-factory's outputs will get its own provider station. Provider stations would only provide a complete train's worth of items to prevent mixed trains.

Is my idea possible / feasible? I haven't found quite what I'm looking for in the blueprint thread, particularly the mixed requester stations where deliveries only contain one type of item (they all seem to be for mixed trains).

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: New to LTN, question on requester stations and multiple items

Post by khalismur »

Each stack size 10, 100, 500, 1000 will get its own requester station
Why would you do that?

LTN works best for one item per station. I only use multiple items on request for supplying wall maintenance or isolated large construction sites. One station per stack size sounds weird and inefficient, specially since item demands along the factory are not well distributed among stack sizes and you'll have a sorting nightmare to solve in your station design. Or am I totally off the mark and didn't understand what you mean?

EDIT: You mentioned you've read the manual and the station design threads. I think if you double check those resources you'll find some good ideas on how to make best use of LTN .

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

razahin wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:34 pm
Is my idea possible / feasible? I haven't found quite what I'm looking for in the blueprint thread, particularly the mixed requester stations where deliveries only contain one type of item (they all seem to be for mixed trains).
khalismur wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:46 pm
LTN works best for one item per station.
I don't understand either comment.
To LTN it makes no difference if a station provides/requests 1 or 100 items as long as the station buffer can hold enough items. Use stack thresholds to service different stack sizes efficiently from one station.
My station designs, when used with wide chests and loaders, can also work with any amount of items.

razahin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by razahin »

Optera wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:09 am
I don't understand either comment.
To LTN it makes no difference if a station provides/requests 1 or 100 items as long as the station buffer can hold enough items. Use stack thresholds to service different stack sizes efficiently from one station.
My station designs, when used with wide chests and loaders, can also work with any amount of items.
Thanks I'll look through the design thread again.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”