Balancing stations

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Balancing stations

Post by alercah »

Hey all,

I'm trying to balance input between several stations where a) there isn't enough supply of resources to rely on backpressure when one gets backed up and b) I don't want to completely prioritize one over the other.

My current thought is to use provider thresholds that are higher than the requester thresholds, so that all stations become eligible for delivery at the same time, but then the problem is that I can't guarantee that resources will not keep going to the same station. The best idea I can come up with is a global circuit network where the requesters deliberately specify themselves to take turns, but is there an alternative that someone knows? Or can LTN be guaranteed to alternate stations of equal priority in some fashion when supply is limited? Or even to pick properly randomly---as long as it's not biased towards one station or the other.

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Balancing stations

Post by boran_blok »

afaik LTN picks the station with the lowest stock first (given equal priority) so you your deliveries are smaller than what the supplier can provide within a delivery timeframe resources will get distributed rather evenly over the requesters, does result in lots of small train loads though

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

alercah wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:52 pm
I'm trying to balance input between several stations where a) there isn't enough supply of resources to rely on backpressure when one gets backed up and b) I don't want to completely prioritize one over the other.
Back pressure is irrelevant. Setup LTN normally with thresholds, it will sort itself out as long as your providers are filled as quick as requesters.
boran_blok wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:55 am
afaik LTN picks the station with the lowest stock first (given equal priority)
No, with equal priority, network, etc LTN picks the oldest requester and highest stocked provider.

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by alercah »

Oldest meaning the one that was built first, or the one that's hard longest since a delivery?

And my issue right now is that the providers will not fill as quickly as the requesters are depleted, as I build out capacity (building out capacity earlier in the chain is much harder with AB)

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

alercah wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:06 pm
Oldest meaning the one that was built first, or the one that's hard longest since a delivery?
Age is set to the time when the request first shows up and reset every time when a delivery is dispatched. So it means longest time since last delivery.

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by alercah »

Wonderful! This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Return to “Logistic Train Network”