Shutting down Depot's in LTN

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Shutting down Depot's in LTN

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

Building my base still and running tests of all (or parts) of the build as I progress. Also doing changes to LTN, such as segregating network ID's, more depots where needed. Now my problem has been that I have most of my work-in-progress Mega Base (4.800 SPPM target) on a power switch located in my starter city Mall. Thought that was kind of neat, but also a lot of travel to turn on/off. That was until I found the mod: Remote Switch. Now I can turn everything on/off anywhere on the map :mrgreen:

But when I turn everything off I get BIG problems with LTN - as the trains no longer can deliver their goods to stations with inactive inserters or bots. And what do they do? They return to the depot full of stuff and set out for more goods.

Now, I have not found a way from stopping the trains from returning to the depot's full of undelivered goods. I used to manually stop them at requester stations and let them sit until next test run... then remove any jobs and return them to Depot.

Now, with Remote Switch I have the option of turning all rail lights out of Depots to red - blocking the LTN trains from leaving the depot. By doing this before I turn everything off I do not have a lot of trains full of undelivered goods running about after shut-down. (Got a slightly miffed LTN that can't do it's job - but I can live with that for now.)
Picture of shut down depot
Not sure if this is the optimal way of doing what I need. Suggestions and comments are appreciated.

/old dude
:geek:
REX NON POTEST PECCARE

zggz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Shutting down Depot's in LTN

Post by zggz »

Use this LTN settings. In this case trains never go depot until full unload. Enjoy.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 2013 times

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I'm using depots that remove isDepot signal while any signal is sent from the train stop.
See Depot for LTN 1.9.0

Disabling multiple of these depots is as simple as connecting all decider inputs with one wire and feeding any signal into it with a constant combinator.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

zggz wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 pm
Use this LTN settings. In this case trains never go depot until full unload. Enjoy.
ohhh I did not even think about LTN settings... and there are a lot of them too... even "disable dispatcher" - can't use that as my starter city will shut down.
But the "Stop timeout (ticks)" setting is very interesting! I will look into that for another issue I have... For shutting things down I still think my solution is better as it sends all trains back to depots, but will not let them leave again. This will generate alerts when deliveries time out, but that is fine (I wan't them to).

The other issue I have is that some trains return with leftover cargo.
Think this is a combination of mistakes I made and design. I might be requesting a trainload to soon, in combination with damn lazy robots working for me... I use them to unload the trains and the lazy bastards mostly ignore the cargo wagons at each end (since most of the requester chests for the mats are located centrally on the train station - and thus shorter distance to travel).
Thus the 12 passive provider chests on the cargo wagons at the start and end of the train station are full. Not sure how I can fix this, but letting the train stay on the station until empty is one solution. But not really a fix. Would like the robots to empty chests evenly - not found out how yet. As it is now the station can be almost empty of goods with just the chests at each end being full when I request LTN to deliver more. When the train comes it can't unload from these wagons...

Thanks for the tip - will use it until I figure something else out..

/old dude

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

Optera wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:53 pm
I'm using depots that remove isDepot signal while any signal is sent from the train stop.
See Depot for LTN 1.9.0

Disabling multiple of these depots is as simple as connecting all decider inputs with one wire and feeding any signal into it with a constant combinator.
hmm think I used that blueprint when I made my 18x depots, but changed the setup a bit. All the fuel loading boxes link to one constant combinator at my Pax stop where I can set the fuel type delivered. Did not think about the disable option. A train with cargo is automatically unloaded (and since it waits for inactivity) it stays until empty. But my Storage chests fill up very fast when 12 wagons of goods are emptied there :oops: and I do not have any type of depot cleanup train as I have no where to send it. All my trains deliver a full train from A to B - no mix or anything like that and sending trains manually to stations with goods mess up LTN dispatcher. So my best bet is to keep trains from going back to the depot with any goods at all :)

For my test phase of the build it is also beneficial for me to stop trains leaving for new deliveries (to locations shut down or about to be shut down).

But I will look into stopping trains that are full - just in case my depot storage is full and the a train with cargo leaves for other goods. That would be really, really, really bad...

Thanks Optera (and thank's for a great mod even if it comes with it's own challenges :mrgreen:)

/old dude

Return to “Logistic Train Network”