Feature Request: Non-Binary Network ID

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

shock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Feature Request: Non-Binary Network ID

Post by shock »

The current network id is limited to only 32 total networks. Because it uses binary to allow stations to be part of the same network with different ids, there is no way to go above 32. If the player want to create a bunch of tiny networks they quickly run out.

Could we get either a mod option to toggle if network id is binary or a 2nd signal type for network ids. Allowing the user to use networks 1, 2, 3, 4, etc... with no overlap between networks allowing a much higher number of networks. (with no network id being set, still accepting items from all networks)

For example was planning to do something like the following
2019-03-18 10_59_32-Window.png
2019-03-18 10_59_32-Window.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2153 times
(basically a way to merge depot and provider stations together. If every depot and provider has a network id it should work, but the limited network ids stops it from scaling)

It also has other positive effects of being a bit easier to use, and easier to understand for those who don't understand binary.

Offtopic, does factorio spawn mod code in its own thread? Meaning complex calculation would have little to no impact on fps/ups, or does it not, meaning the more calculations LTN needs todo the bigger impact it has on fps/ups

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feature Request: Non-Binary Network ID

Post by Optera »

LTN is made to reuse trains as much as possible, not force 1-2 trains to 2-3 stop networks. That can be done just as well with manual schedules and disabled stops.
Allowing LTN to actually work as intended by reusing trains as much as possible, even hitting 10 networks requires a massive base.

shock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shock »

Well it wouldn't be for simple schedules that can be done manually.

For example sulfuric acid in bob/angels is used for a ton of products and mining, it is also a by product of a lot of processes. So the player sets up a storage area for it, with 10 train stops to load from. Then there could be 20+ different locations demanding sulfuric acid, so the idea of using manual schedules doesn't work out well. By using the network id, you can treat the sulfuric acid storage area as a depot, and allow them to pre-load.

Sure you could say, just put a depot near by, and when a demand for sulfuric acid is made, a train will leave for there. However, because you need to wait for the train to load, you need to double the train stations at the requested site, compared to what you normally would have because they become reserved when they leave to get loaded. For example, you have a site that needs iron plate, and uses it quickly. You need to account for the item it takes to load the iron plate, unload, and travel. So you need to build in waiting track, or multiple station, or etc. As opposed to if you just needing to account for unloading, and travel time (which would also be less as there no time between depot and provider).

Using network ids for basically each different resources that needs to be transported on mass, you can see how quickly it would grow above 32.

---

As for the comment about reusing trains as much as possible, i guess i just disagree with that being a priority. When it comes to trains in factorio, trains are basically the cheapest resources compared to other things that matter in train routes/management. Traffic control, time/speed, and space usage i would consider to be far more important the reusing a train that only costs a few resources.

I guess that partly comes back to the the rejected request of "Dispatch new order at request station". Which my understanding was it was denied because it added limitation and other drawbacks. Which is why i am not asking for it, but something much simpler, which would indirectly allow for it. A higher cap on network ids.

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

shock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Offtopic, does factorio spawn mod code in its own thread? Meaning complex calculation would have little to no impact on fps/ups, or does it not, meaning the more calculations LTN needs todo the bigger impact it has on fps/ups
The latter. Mods can have a significant impact on UPS when coded badly (or when trying to do too much). Luckily, LTN is very well optimized and manages to do its work with little performance impact.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

I think this mod might enable you to do what you want, without having to use the full LTN toolset?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Dispatcher

(edit - I haven't used it yet but I'm planning to set it up for something in my current bases in order to see if I can avoid "thundering herd" train behaviour in vanilla without resorting to full LTN)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

i have successfully done a playthru with angels and bobs with all liquids and so on, only downside is you need multiple stations for liquids, gases and items at every station. You can controll with priority which liquids and gases should be used first, but still build everywhere a overflow valve.

But with blueprints, not really a problem. It was running perfectly without any problems (just dont mix anything) :mrgreen:

shock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shock »

The Dispatcher mod is neat, though it doesn't really change much, as you can basically already do that by just naming all the stations the same name combined with a circuit to disable/enable the station (note the issue with this is when one station needs resources, all your trains of that type head for it, one gets there, then the rest have to turn around and go home, creating a bunch of pointless traffic). I guess in theory you could make a massive circuit system to keep track of what trains are heading to what station to reserve a station, but you would need massive circuit systems everywhere, and its not that realistic. (unless i am missing something about the mod?)

I am aware its possible to finish bob/anagel, that's not the issue here.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”