Locked Slots confusion

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

jmurrayufo
Inserter
Inserter

Locked Slots confusion

Post by jmurrayufo »

Not sure if this is a bug with the 0.17.x updates, or if I just don't know how to use LTN yet. As a full disclosure, this is my first time playing with the mod so this very well could be a misunderstanding on my part.

As far as I can tell, "Locked Slots" doesn't work.

My test setup is as follows:

Depot: Single train in a LCC configuration.

Provider: "Locked Slots Per Wagon" driven from a constant combinator, set to 10, along with current amount of cargo waiting in chests.

Requester: Requesting cargo.

No other signals are driven to the inputs of the stations, and LTN seems to response correctly in keeping the requester stations needs met. The request is dispatched to meet any asks, and the threshold is respected before a train is dispatched.

I am not sure what I should expect from this configuration. The form manual posts (viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51072) indicates
Locked Slots per Wagon (optional) - number of inventory slots per wagon locked for this provider (default=0 false)
This seems to indicate what the station expects in trains that are routed to it. This cannot be right, as the Depot clears all cargo wagons of their filter when they arrive.

The Providing station does not set this value when a train arrives, happily loading a train with whatever slots were blocked off before it arrived.

Another forum topic (viewtopic.php?f=214&t=52471) states
Locked Slots per Wagon:
Marks the set number of slots are reserved in each wagon for every train going to the provider it's set for.
Used to prevent inserters from getting stuck with items in hand after failing to insert into a wagon.
But again, the station takes no action to modify the filters or blocked slots of any train arriving.

I've trived setting this value between various values from 0-40, and the only change I can see is that the trains being dispatched assume they can only pick up the given number of stacks the "Locked Stacks" value is set to, yet the Depot makes sure that the value is cleared before the train is sent?!?

Given that the Depot cleans these values when a train arrives, and the Provider does not set them when filling an order, what is the use of this setting? If this is not a filter, and not an action that the LTN station provides, what is it supposed to do?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Locked Slots confusion

Post by Optera »

jmurrayufo wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:44 pm
the only change I can see is that the trains being dispatched assume they can only pick up the given number of stacks the "Locked Stacks" value is set to
This is all locked slots does. Reducing delivery size prevents locked inserters.

jmurrayufo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jmurrayufo »

Ah, so this needs to be used in conjunction with limiting inserters to have meaningful effect?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

jmurrayufo wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 pm
Ah, so this needs to be used in conjunction with limiting inserters to have meaningful effect?
Yes

themadgunman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by themadgunman »

Just to clarify, currently im limiting my stocks by -32 and then kicking the trains via circuit signals when the get to max-30 to prevent my loaders from causing problems, could i just set a blocked slot size of 1 instead and do away with all the circuit nonsense ?

themadgunman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by themadgunman »

nvm, answered my own question by just trying it :)

Return to “Logistic Train Network”