[0.16 / 0.17] LTN Tracker - a GUI for LTN

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16 / 0.17] LTN Tracker - a GUI for LTN

Post by ptx0 »

remember, us modders do this as a hobby
nah, you would not be so adamant about defending this license as if i were somehow making money off of this stupid mod.

Boeng01
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Boeng01 »

Optera wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:43 pm
"Just let people play" sounds very entitled.
You only get to demand stuff you pay for. Have you ever paid a single Cent to Eduran?
Remember us modders do this as a hobby, be grateful for the quality mod Eduran has provided and let it rest in peace.

I'm not going to pick up LTNT because I respect Eduran and his wishes. I have access to the repository since we worked together on LTNs API not because he wanted me to take over his work.

That being said if someone wants to create a gui for LTN from scratch and needs help with the API I will assist as much as I can, but I will not tolerate ripping Edurans work.
Just to put in a opinion of someone not involved in modding and being 'just someone who plays' i really, and i repeat, really, cannot understand your position Optera.

You did extremely great work on creating LTN (besides other things) and Eduran did himself great creating LTN Tracker, which is an nearly essential Tool when using LTN on big bases. To let this great work die, just because the original author is not available any more seems to be rediculous, especially if there is someone who respectfully would help out and let it live further. That it's not you, because you don't have the time and will to dig into it, is absolutely understandable. We all can be happy about you putting your time into your own mods. But why should you block someone, who tries to help a lot of people? I could surely understand if you would somehow demand ptx0 to include and respect Eduran's name as author in a new version and i'm sure he happily would do this.

But blocking it 'just because' without a technical reason seems to be really selfish and i really cannot believe that this would be Eduran's whish. Letting his great work just die because one person thinks it's the right thing to do.

I really hope that there will be a solution in this. Think again, Optera, and everyone here could try to be constructive. This surely is no 'stupid mod' ...

Thanks ;)

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Thanks Boeng, I absolutely agree! Couldn't have worded it better, honestly was just staring at their response thinking I'm not touching this. :lol:

Hellspawn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hellspawn »

Well said Boeng01!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

since Optera updated their license I assume this means he agrees that the older version was vague and that it allowed these minor bugfixes for compatibility.

at the same time, he updated LTN to mark my version of LTNT as Incompatible.

so I've pushed a LTN Tracker 2 to the mod portal which you can use with the latest LTN.

it's pretty anti-social behaviour of Optera to be doing this stuff when it's NOT even their mod.

Boeng01
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Boeng01 »

ptx0 - as much as i respect your work and your effort on this, it surely would help to try to be constructive and a bit more diplomatic on this thing.

I'm sure Optera has his/her reasons to react as it is. Goal should be to find a solution that's ok for everyone. For you, for Optera, for the players :)

Good thing that you marked the new (and the old) Version(s) again as authored by Eduran - since that's what it is.

Thanks for keeping Eduran's work alive :!:

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

I don't understand why there's even an argument here. LTN Tracker's license specifically forbids distributing the kind of modifications that are needed to make it work on 0.18. Anyone who makes the modifications and distributes them, is in direct violation of copyright law. No ifs, ands, or buts.

It's unfortunate that the author left, but it is not our place to interpret his "true feelings". He licensed it under that license, and it is specific as to what it intends. Trying to bend it or interpret it in a way that goes against what it really says, is dishonest and vulgar.

LTN Tracker is dead until such time as the author returns, if ever. That's the whole of it.
Don't forget, you're here forever.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Raiguard wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:13 pm
LTN Tracker is dead until such time as the author returns, if ever. That's the whole of it.
Exactly.

As for rips of LTNT, consider flagging ptx0's rip incompatible a warning.
I'd rather not turn off API features, making any form of LTNT inoperable, denying LTNT to those of you who abide by the license and only use the patched version privately.

Any further debate about what my license allows or not and and I'll lock this thread.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Raiguard wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:13 pm
I don't understand why there's even an argument here. LTN Tracker's license

because the license is unclear and the outcome of any decision would be jurisdiction dependent.

see also: the updated Optera license, which makes more clear that trying to help and maintain mod is just not acceptable.

of course, the mod I released an update for compatibility is released under the old license where it says this type of fix is allowed.

Boeng01
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Boeng01 »

"Exceptions to the no modification rule include:
Minor bug fixes/tweak for compatibility reasons"

This is what it 'really' says. Isn't it? So what exact part of internal code was altered to make it 0.18 compatible that isn't a Minor bug fix/tweak for compatibility reasons? I can't see any changes in the GUI, the behavior, the features of the altered mod. It was taken 'as is' and made compatible for 0.18. 'for compatibility reasons', as the license says. That's my interpretation.

Don't want to offend anyone but where exactly is the license violation when the fixed version, with minor fixes for compatibility reasons is released under the same name, the same author?

Could you please explain further? Since i, with my maybe restricted sight on these things, cannot see the license violation here.

I can just see someone whos offended and angry because some other one released work of a third one who has known the first one for some time (but not any more) on the seconds ones name which is not nice so the first one tries to block the second one in the third ones name so the second one gets angry … andsoonandsoon

I'm quite sure that everything would have been great if ptx0 would have been so nice and contacted Optera if it's ok to look into the LTN Tracker to make it compatible and release it - and of course keeping edoran as author - which would have been the right thing to do from the start.

Don't be so 'professional' here. This is a game. These are mods. No one's making money out of this and no one's curing corona or something. We all just want to play.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I said I will not have another 2 page long debate about reinterpreting my license.

Thread locked.

Fireblade
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

LTN Tracker is needed

Post by Fireblade »

The LTN tracker is out of date and not working. The temp fix that someone did is not working, so my question is when is the LTN tracker going to be made 0.18 version compatiable.
I have over 150 LTN stations so I really, really need the tracker.

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: LTN Tracker is needed

Post by khalismur »

LTN Tracker has its own thread, which is locked because the author has been MIA. It was not being developed nor maintained by Optera, the author of LTN, so there's nothing to be done unless the original LTN Tracker author (eduran) comes back.

The 0.18 update was made by another person who didn't respect the intentions of Optera's license and thus was rendered not compatible with LTN.
Last edited by khalismur on Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: LTN Tracker is needed

Post by steinio »

LTN Tracker is from another author which seems to be cast away.

The preview of Raiguard let me assume we get something new soon:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=81540

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: LTN Tracker is (not) needed

Post by Optera »

LTNT was very convenient, but hardly needed.

I monitor production and consumption of several 100 stations with LTN Reader.
2020-02-23-15-56-01-0480798.png
2020-02-23-15-56-01-0480798.png (4.55 MiB) Viewed 6705 times

Like steinio said, Raiguard is working on reinventing a gui for ltn, but it'll take time.

merged into ltn tracker and opened the topic again

Dwd89
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New update - 1.12.3 : crash save

Post by Dwd89 »

Modyfikacja LTN - Logistic Train Network spowodowała niemożliwy do naprawienia błąd.
Proszę, zgłoś ten błąd autorowi tej modyfikacji.

Error while running event LogisticTrainNetwork::on_train_changed_state (ID 23)
Modyfikacja LTN Tracker_2 spowodowała niemożliwy do naprawienia błąd.
Proszę, zgłoś ten błąd autorowi tej modyfikacji.

Error while running event LTN_Tracker_2::Custom event (ID 190)
__LTN_Tracker_2__/script/data_processing.lua:483: attempt to index local 'delivery' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
__LTN_Tracker_2__/script/data_processing.lua:483: in function <__LTN_Tracker_2__/script/data_processing.lua:476>
stack traceback:
__LogisticTrainNetwork__/script/train-events.lua:164: in function 'TrainLeaves'
__LogisticTrainNetwork__/script/train-events.lua:201: in function <__LogisticTrainNetwork__/script/train-events.lua:195>
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'raise_event'
__LogisticTrainNetwork__/script/train-events.lua:164: in function 'TrainLeaves'
__LogisticTrainNetwork__/script/train-events.lua:201: in function <__LogisticTrainNetwork__/script/train-events.lua:195>

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New update - 1.12.3 : crash save

Post by Optera »

Read the changelog, the api got changed in preparation for Raiguards LTN Manager.

Other mods have to keep track of api changes just as they have with base.

Fireblade
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fireblade »

That display looks good but I am using both Angels and Bobs mods so the size of that would be huge and a pain to update with each research done.
But at least a new version of the tracker is being worked on but until that is working it looks like I will need to fork the current tracker.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Fireblade wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:34 pm
That display looks good but I am using both Angels and Bobs mods so the size of that would be huge and a pain to update with each research done.
But at least a new version of the tracker is being worked on but until that is working it looks like I will need to fork the current tracker.
for what it's worth, there are other versions already on the mod portal that do work.

Makeyourselfnerd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: LTN Tracker is (not) needed

Post by Makeyourselfnerd »

Optera wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:58 pm
LTNT was very convenient, but hardly needed.

I monitor production and consumption of several 100 stations with LTN Reader.
2020-02-23-15-56-01-0480798.png

Like steinio said, Raiguard is working on reinventing a gui for ltn, but it'll take time.

merged into ltn tracker and opened the topic again
You lured me out of hiding with that nice looking dashboard Optera, any chance you could share a blueprint so I can compare notes? Or point me to another thread if you have shared previously? Any other mods beyond LTN Reader and what looks like Dectorio you are running in that example?

Over the weekend I had just started working on something similar, inspired by both Nilaus' latest series and the loss of LTN Tracker. This is very much a work in progress as you can tell, but here is a screenshot of current state. I decided to add two features that I think will be useful, but only time and testing will tell:
  • I'm adding Request and Provide amounts together into the same light bar to represent "balance". I consider it bad both if things are being requested and not fulfilled as well as if things are being way overprovided and not used in a timely manner. I find this much more useful (I think) as my base grows, as in the earlier game the actual amounts of things are way smaller than mid and late game and I don't want to have to constantly be tweaking the dashboard to be relevant.
  • I'm doing some calculations up top to make this whole display be based on train loads instead of item counts. So I'm providing constants for wagon count, locked slots per wagon, and stack sizes and incorporating that into the display. This lets me make quick changes for any of those variables based on my needs and it instantly reflects in the whole dashboard. This would also allow me to incorporate different train sizes over time.
Lot of streamlining to do here as I just slapped down a bunch of combinators as a proof of concept, but would love to see your version for any tips or tricks. For those curious I run quite a few mods, but mostly what you're seeing here is just LTN, LTN Reader, and Text Plates.
Factorio Dashboard.png
Factorio Dashboard.png (7.34 MiB) Viewed 6573 times

Return to “Logistic Train Network”