Depot(s) question

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

MCDewy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Depot(s) question

Post by MCDewy »

I am unable to find the answer elsewhere.

I know that for a Depot, all the station should be named the same. I read/watched that this is the only case that LTN will work, (i.e. 6 Copper Ore providers can't be named "Copper Ore Provider", correct?)

Anyway, I have a Depot with 25 spots, all are named LTN Depot.

1. If I create another one somewhere else on the map, can these be named the same, or should they be named something else because they are together over there?

2. If they are named the same, I assume waiting trains will pick the closest or some other pathfinding magic?

3. If named differently, will the trains return to the dispatching depot? (This would be cool to keep Cargo trains together, or even have them named like Copper Depot, Liquids Depot, or other depot names to separate trains based on composition.

Anyway, thank you.

xfir01
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Depot(s) question

Post by xfir01 »

Sounds like the solution you're looking for is to separate trains into different networks.
Encoded Network ID - Binary coded signal assigning a stop to specific networks. (defaults to 0xFFFFFFFF = all networks)
Deliveries are only generated when between Depot, Provider, Requester within the same network. Stops can be assigned to multiple networks e.g. 6 assigns a stop to networks 2 and 4.
The Encoded Network ID is a bit mask for toggling which network the stop is part of. Can be a bit tricky if you're not used to binary.

viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51072

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

MCDewy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:42 pm
I am unable to find the answer elsewhere.

I know that for a Depot, all the station should be named the same. I read/watched that this is the only case that LTN will work, (i.e. 6 Copper Ore providers can't be named "Copper Ore Provider", correct?)

Anyway, I have a Depot with 25 spots, all are named LTN Depot.

1. If I create another one somewhere else on the map, can these be named the same, or should they be named something else because they are together over there?

2. If they are named the same, I assume waiting trains will pick the closest or some other pathfinding magic?

3. If named differently, will the trains return to the dispatching depot? (This would be cool to keep Cargo trains together, or even have them named like Copper Depot, Liquids Depot, or other depot names to separate trains based on composition.

Anyway, thank you.
Just call it "LTN Depot 2" for example.
Trains return to their assigned depot but they get dispatched globally - nearest to provider first.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Distance is the last thing checked.

The full logic for picking a train runs in this order:
1) Depot Network ID in both Requester and Provider ID
2) train length matching both Requester and Provider settings
3) find optimal train capacity for delivery
4) closest train if more than 1 optimal trains

MCDewy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MCDewy »

I think I accidentally found the answer.
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51881#p303060
Trains are bound to depot names. This allows multiple depots with the same length without trains queuing up at one while another is empty.
Also Depots ignore all control signals except "Stop is Depot".
So, It sounds like the Depot name doesn't matter, just that they are all the same for a given depot. I can set up a second depot with name "Fred" as long as the stops there are marked as Depot.

Then it sounds like whatever trains I base there will return there, (Helpful for keeping fluid trains in one area to not have to have a universal trash system).

I get that the encoding will do this, i.e. performs magic to know where cars are, but that seems super complicated to me.

MCDewy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MCDewy »

Thank you Optera.

Unrelated, but I am going to get smart on Network ID's I think at some point. My OCD says that the Engines should be color coded to match what they carry. So if I put all Coal Provider/Requester/Depots in the same network, and Copper and so on, I can satisfy this I think?

Thank you again!

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Why dig up a one year old post from me when all you need to do is think while reading signal descriptions in the main post.
I grouped them by all stops, depot, provider, requester for a reason.

Dedicating trains to specific cargo is a waste of capacity.
I color code my trains to match their home depot and use network ids to limit their regional use so they don't try to ship from far east mines to west smelters.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”