Simpler version of mod possible?

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Simpler version of mod possible?

Post by Zaflis »

I didn't expect this mod to be all about circuits. You don't need em with logistics robots, you shouldn't need em with trains either. Secondly this mod uses requester and passive chests for robots, that's not good. Robots and trains networks should be strictly separated. Does Factorio's LUA API have some sort of restrictions to prevent the mentioned features? The developers are helpful, we can ask them for changes as needed.

I mean, it's a good mod i don't deny, but it's not at all the LTN i expected it to be.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simpler version of mod possible?

Post by Optera »

Short answer:
NO. LTN is as simple as possible.

Long answer:
LTN will work (mostly) without Combinators on a level similarly restrictive and dumb as the logistic network. Logistic chests are entirely optional.
Dumb station designs will work without any circuit network apart from a constant combinator to set requests and designate depots.
The simplest design for a smart station uses 1 arithmetic combinator calculating filter settings for filter inserter loading.

Unlike logistic networks LTN is highly configurable. To get most out of it, e.g. a station capable of requesting and providing, some combinator logic is required, same as with pure vanilla factorio.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

Zaflis wrote:this mod uses requester and passive chests for robots, that's not good.
I'm not sure what you mean here. I've successfully used LTN in a bot-free world. Some of the blueprints use logistic chests, but you can replace those with ordinary chests fed/emptied by belts. The rail system won't know or care.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Optera wrote:Short answer:
NO. LTN is as simple as possible.
I guess this mod just needs a guide then, i can't figure out how it works from the main thread
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51072

How do i tell station that it needs iron, and that other station supplies it? Do i still need to manually program the train schedules? None of this is covered. What is the ID thing, i only ever have 1 train network, no exceptions. And how will they refuel themselves, and set for waiting somewhere?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

All manuals references can be found in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=59824

I've also added Nilaus video link to the main post.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Optera wrote:All manuals references can be found in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=59824

I've also added Nilaus video link to the main post.
The Nilaus video helps quite a bit, and i'll be able to use the mod. But he uses circuits very heavily for basic things, even for setting the station itself. There could have been separate stations for 3 roles without needing cables. The station could automatically and internally track contents of chests and fluid tanks that specifically belong to this mod. All accompanied with a request UI perhaps opened from the station. The circuit system works but it's really just a hack.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Circuit network is a highly optimized base game feature.
Looking for nearby chests in lua script IS the hack. Also slow and very prone to errors.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”