How to handl fluids at depot?

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

How to handl fluids at depot?

Post by nuhll »

Hi,
im using the modular LTN blueprints, if nothing goes wrong... it works perfectly.

But i had the problem that sulfur (i play with bobs and angels) was too much, so sulfur couldnt be complet eunloaded... and then the drama begins, 90% of my stations infected with wrong fluids.. yeah

Is there any way to remove fluids at depot? some years ago you could simply pump it into a (thing to produce power, dont know english name atm)

Normal i use bottles, but this time i thought i give this a shot, but atm my base is relativly small i dont want to know what happens when i have 10x the base i have now and this happens...

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to handl fluids at depot?

Post by Optera »

I only had fluid residue once or twice in hundreds of hours of playtime on my LTN Megabase.

Since I like failsafes however I use Inventory Sensor to switch on pumps depending on wagon content in the fluid depot.
2018-08-09-06-54-42-9911523.png
2018-08-09-06-54-42-9911523.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 8413 times
I only ship Oil, Sulfuric Acid and Lubricant from this depot, but this setup can be expanded up to 11 fluids.
Each pump connects to a barreling machine. Storage tanks are optional and only needed for faster cleaning.
Barrels are shipped through the multi provider/requester to the refinery.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I've added a latch to each (fluid) depot that turns the exit signal red when the train isn't empty. I also connected a speaker to it so it sends a global alert.

No train should ever reach the depot with something left so I don't think automatic fluid handling is needed. With Bobs+Angels the amount of possible fluids makes it impractical anyway. Better fix your LTN stations if it happens. And yes, it does happen, so it's worth protecting against it. The latch prevents the bad train from spreading the fluids. You have to walk there, send the train somewhere to unload and reset the latch. So it's annoying enough that you fix the problem.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

The stations are from the recommended blueprints, so the stations are fine.

It just happend because i had a havarie (too much from anything, or i renamed station while transfer, some thing like this). I also played many many hours on this map without any problem, i guess i renamed station while it was transfering something... so it got to the wrong station.. but since you dont notice it immediatly, it spreads to all stations on the earth like a virus.

Actually best solution is the thing with the latch, is there any way you can explain it a noob, or give me a BP which i just can hover over my LTN without destroying the whole earth? :D

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

mrvn wrote:I've added a latch to each (fluid) depot that turns the exit signal red when the train isn't empty. I also connected a speaker to it so it sends a global alert.

No train should ever reach the depot with something left so I don't think automatic fluid handling is needed. With Bobs+Angels the amount of possible fluids makes it impractical anyway. Better fix your LTN stations if it happens. And yes, it does happen, so it's worth protecting against it. The latch prevents the bad train from spreading the fluids. You have to walk there, send the train somewhere to unload and reset the latch. So it's annoying enough that you fix the problem.
Can you link your solution please? Didnt happend till now again, but cleaning 10 stations was a mess already (more then 1 h).

Now ive added servival waste and clean water outposts... the ntext time it will be much more mess... i need a solution :)

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

I use the request treshold to guarantee there is always room for a full train.
0. Set # designated trains to 1
1. set request treshhold to max train content
2. add current buffer content to request.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

wow, that was very unhelpfull.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Feature request: depot

Post by nuhll »

Hi,
i would like a way to stop LTN from creating new deliveries when a fluid train comes back with something in it.

If *ANYTHING* inside disable train and sent out signal XY (so we can make speakers which alarm us)

Or atleast just something to stop trains.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

disentius wrote:I use the request treshold to guarantee there is always room for a full train.
0. Set # designated trains to 1
1. set request treshhold to max train content
2. add current buffer content to request.
Yes. And how do you handle things going wrong and fluids appearing at the depot?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

nuhll wrote:
mrvn wrote:I've added a latch to each (fluid) depot that turns the exit signal red when the train isn't empty. I also connected a speaker to it so it sends a global alert.

Can you link your solution please? Didnt happend till now again, but cleaning 10 stations was a mess already (more then 1 h).

Now ive added servival waste and clean water outposts... the ntext time it will be much more mess... i need a solution :)
Sorry, can't make a blueprint from here. But the setup is simple:

One decider combinator set to "Anything > 0: red 1". Connect input to train stop, output to input and output to signal. Set train stop to read train contents. Set signal to close on "red = 1".

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

mrvn wrote:
nuhll wrote:

One decider combinator set to "Anything > 0: red 1". Connect input to train stop, output to input and output to signal. Set train stop to read train contents. Set signal to close on "red = 1".
That is not working. U cant disable station, train will still be sent.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

nuhll wrote:
mrvn wrote:
nuhll wrote:

That is not working. U cant disable station, train will still be sent.
True. But it won't be able to leave because the signal will be red. So the bad fluid isn't spread around.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Yea, if u connect it to signal, good idea, but the problem is, train will "leave" station, and then ignal will get green again.

Also the most important thing is to find out WHERE it was coming from, so best is to stop BEFORE depot.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

nuhll wrote:Yea, if u connect it to signal, good idea, but the problem is, train will "leave" station, and then ignal will get green again.

Also the most important thing is to find out WHERE it was coming from, so best is to stop BEFORE depot.
No. The decider combinator is a latch. Once it has anything != 0 it stays at red = 1 and the signal remains red. You have to physically go there, change the train schedule to unload the fluid and reset the decider combinator so it can actually leave.

utoxin
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Feature request: depot

Post by utoxin »

Just read the output of the train stop itself, use that to set the signal just past the station to red, and trigger the alarm.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feature request: depot

Post by Optera »

This has been answered in a thread you started yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=62000

merged topics

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Feature request: Trains with contents should be send to requesting stations

Post by mrvn »

I'm sure everyone using LTN has had trains showing up at a depot with left over goods. With solid goods the items can be unloaded into a provider station and the problem resolves itself. Not so with fluids. It's impossible to automatically get any random left over fluids out of a train at the Depot and impossible to take that train out of rotation. Best one can do is stop the train with a signal (which then causes a delivery to time out eventually).

So here is a idea to improve this situation:

When a train arrives at a depot anything left over in the train is provided with a provider limit of 1 and a provider priority of 2G (MAX_INT). If any station requests the left over items then the depot will be the first choice to fulfill that request and the train will be emptied.

As a slight variation the provider limit and priority settings will be honored at a depot and if set apply to any left over goods in a train. This would allow enabling depots to clean up trains or keep the previous behavior.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

These problems have been addressed and solved in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=214&t=62000
I have shipped 900ML Fluids in my base and the only times i ever got residue was when i messed with the trains myself.

Your idea is just patching an issue that doesn't exist if trains can properly unload at requesters.
Fluid trains already are set to wait until empty instead of fluid=0 to prevent them leaving with residue.
The only ways a fluid, or item carrying train leaves with residue are:

1) not enough space at requester
Request only 9k oil when your tanks can hold only 10k.

2) too slow unloading
See this topic for designs on general fluid unloading: viewtopic.php?f=194&t=46376

merged into fluid handling topic

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Optera wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 am
These problems have been addressed and solved in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=214&t=62000
I have shipped 900ML Fluids in my base and the only times i ever got residue was when i messed with the trains myself.

Your idea is just patching an issue that doesn't exist if proper precautions are taken so trains can unload at requesters.
Fluid trains already are set to wait until empty instead of fluid=0 to prevent them leaving with residue.

merged into fluid handling topic
They have been mentioned but in no means solved.

As I mentioned the best you can do is block the train with left over fluids from driving them somewhere else. That is the solution from the thread. And since it requires manual intervention to clear the problem I consider that far from solved.

Fluid trains are set to wait until empty. But they are also set to wait only 200s. So any setup that can't unload the train fully will quickly send a train with left over fluids back to the depot. A problem for stations for multiple fluid wagons. I've had stations designed for 5 fluid wagons and buffer space for 2 million fluids send back trains because the tanks across the station where at different levels with one end of the train having full tanks. 200s simply wasn't enough time for fluids to move from tank to tank so the last fluid wagon could be pumped empty despite plenty of space still left over in adjoining tanks. The transfer speed tank to pipe to tank is too small so I now balance tanks using circuit logic. I'm probably not the only one that runs into that problem.

As mentioned before: Shit happens. We can't all be as perfect as you and never mess up the trains.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”