Why can't requester stations be depots?

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Why can't requester stations be depots?

Post by mrvn »

In LTN trains always get 3 stations: provider, requester and depot. They drive empty from the depot to the provider, load up, drive full to the requester, unload and drive empty to the depot. Notice how 2 of 3 times the train is just driving around empty.

So my question is: Why can't I mark requester stations as depot? The train is going to be empty at that station and can go directly to the next job.

This would require one new feature though: When a station that has a train idling requests something and a different train is chosen then the idle train needs to be send to a different depot. Using the train at the station should get a bonus so it is preferred but it might not have the right size for the request.

It would save a lot of resources and distribute the trains more dynamically over the map if the extra depot stops weren't needed.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Why can't requester stations be depots?

Post by Optera »

Why can't requester chests be roboports? :P

1) they serve different functions
2) LTN requester can also be provider, also making them Depots would require excessive checking if a train is blocking a requester/provider.

PS:
I love having huge rail yards.

MCDewy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MCDewy »

Sorry to necro this thread, but if your provider station has a stacker, (Even one lane), just make that a depot stop. A train will be there with almost no distance to travel to fill up.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

MCDewy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:35 am
Sorry to necro this thread, but if your provider station has a stacker, (Even one lane), just make that a depot stop. A train will be there with almost no distance to travel to fill up.
That sounds valid, but there's a chance, that those trains are getting also assigned to other tasks, if the train config and network id is matching. So, you should ensure, that the train can escape the the stacker easily, without being blocked by loading stations.

I would more likely suggest to distribute many smaller depot train yards across the map (each with different depot stop name per yard, so the train will return to that yard). Afaik, LTN will pick the closest available train to the provider.

gerrg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gerrg »

I've thought of something like this as well. Could you have a depot immediately after each of your requesters? have be it 5 train lengths after your requester stop, or however long your train is. Then when your train is done unloading it would go straight to a depot, and then wait, while also allowing any train directly behind it to also pull up and unload it's cargo.

I haven't tried anything like that yet, but though it might be a good idea. Thoughts?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Would be petter to put depots before (or near) the providers. That way there is less delay for a train to arrive.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”