Trains coming to pick up items at requester locations

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Trains coming to pick up items at requester locations

Post by realm174 »

I'm having an issue with one station. I've remove/rebuilt it thinking somehow the wiring got messed up, yet, I can't figure out what the problem is. That one particular station requests 2 items: red and green circuits. I see green circuits coming on a regular basis, as expected, but I see empty trains coming to load red circuits instead of delivering them. The only issue I can think of (and I don't know if that's what's causing the confusion) is that I happen to have a surplus of red circuits in the inventory of that station as I had extra from a different train that needed to be dumped somewhere, so I threw it in that inventory since it'll be used at some point. As a result, I have about 10x more red circuits in inventory than what the request chest is asking for. This is what the constant combinator look like:

The log can be found at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzsA-- ... sp=sharing

Any idea where I went wrong?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Trains coming to pick up items at requester locations

Post by Optera »

Any station with item count > provide threshold is a valid provider. If there is no threshold signal, global settings, default: 1k, are used.
If you don't want a station providing or requesting set the corresponding threshold high enough so it won't trigger. In your case 1M should do, but you can go up to 2^32-1 to make 100% sure too.

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by realm174 »

Yep, that fixed it, thank you so much! it was driving me nuts!!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Would it make sense to only use the default provider limit when no requester limit is given and vice versa?

Meaning a station with a custom request limit will never provide items on it's own. You have to set a custom provide limit too to make it both provide and request.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

mrvn wrote:Would it make sense to only use the default provider limit when no requester limit is given and vice versa?

Meaning a station with a custom request limit will never provide items on it's own. You have to set a custom provide limit too to make it both provide and request.
What would that accomplish? Save someone setting 2 instead of 1 signals?
Hardly a reason for me to expand threshold logic.

I expect both thresholds to be set for every stop (except depots). Global thresholds are just fallbacks in case no thresholds are set and should be treated as such.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Optera wrote:
mrvn wrote:Would it make sense to only use the default provider limit when no requester limit is given and vice versa?

What would that accomplish? Save someone setting 2 instead of 1 signals?
Hardly a reason for me to expand threshold logic.

I expect both thresholds to be set for every stop (except depots). Global thresholds are just fallbacks in case no thresholds are set and should be treated as such.
It would stop a request station from suddenly providing items when you overfill it or simply lower the amount requested with full buffer chests. Most people won't think to add a provides limit of 10000000000 to prevent that.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

mrvn wrote: It would stop a request station from suddenly providing items when you overfill it or simply lower the amount requested with full buffer chests. Most people won't think to add a provides limit of 10000000000 to prevent that.
The current logic is simple and clear cut. If item x > provide threshold it provides item x. It's specified in the manual with a diagram picturing every combination of thresholds.

Introducing special cases where providers won't work without setting a threshold would make everything even more confusing especially to those who didn't bother to read the manual in the first place.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Optera wrote:
mrvn wrote: It would stop a request station from suddenly providing items when you overfill it or simply lower the amount requested with full buffer chests. Most people won't think to add a provides limit of 10000000000 to prevent that.
The current logic is simple and clear cut. If item x > provide threshold it provides item x. It's specified in the manual with a diagram picturing every combination of thresholds.

Introducing special cases where providers won't work without setting a threshold would make everything even more confusing especially to those who didn't bother to read the manual in the first place.
But that is not what it looks like to the user. What it looks like is:

If buffer chests of requester station > requested amount then deadlock station with trains trying to take away the excess.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

mrvn wrote:
Optera wrote:

But that is not what it looks like to the user. What it looks like is:

If buffer chests of requester station > requested amount then deadlock station with trains trying to take away the excess.
Only to users who didn't bother reading the manual.
Even if i somehow succeeded in making LTN a magic fool prove system, the universe would simply create an even bigger fool to break it.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”