LTN Newb with 2 Feature Requests

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

pyrachi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

LTN Newb with 2 Feature Requests

Post by pyrachi »

So I installed the mod and was trying to figure out why my LTN setup wasn't working. The provider depot had all the correct signals: positive item count above the threshold, correct train length limits. The requester also had the correct signals: negative item count which exceeded the request threshold, correct train length limits, etc. I also checked the depot: the depot had trains with the correct length and also had the depot signal. So I was really racking my brain trying to figure out why LTN wasn't dispatching a train.

Turns out it was the stuff even more basic than the signalling:
1. The trains were in manual mode, not automatic. LTN doesn't set them to automatic for you.
2. The trains had no schedule. LTN requires that the trains have the depot in the schedule.

While it would be nice if LTN did both of these two things automatically, I can imagine there are good reasons why it doesn't. However, it would have saved me some time if the manual mentioned both of those requirements and/or if two additional signals were produced to check for these scenarios:
red 3 = Train in depot not in automatic mode.
red 4 = Train in depot doesn't include depot in schedule.

With that said, I'm looking forward to digging deeper into the mod now that I've got it working!

zggz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: LTN Newb with 2 Feature Requests

Post by zggz »

some screens of constant combinator will be usefull

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Depots indicate train status through the lamp color.
Green: no train detected (manual?)
Blue: automatic train parked and ready for delivery
Yellow: Train assigned to delivery

I presume there's a reason for players to set a train to manual, e.g to block a junction so no trains run you over while working.
Having scripts switching trains to automatic is annoying and potentially lethal, so this will never be part of LTN.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

there is no reason why trains should be not in automatic in depots.... otherwise LTN doesn't work.

If you build a new train you send it to the depot with the depot as only destination in automate mode. Done. Rest LTN does.

pyrachi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pyrachi »

Optera wrote:Depots indicate train status through the lamp color.
Green: no train detected (manual?)
Blue: automatic train parked and ready for delivery
Yellow: Train assigned to delivery
Thanks. This is very helpful! Now I know what to look and to not assume that green == "everything OK".
Optera wrote: I presume there's a reason for players to set a train to manual, e.g to block a junction so no trains run you over while working.
Having scripts switching trains to automatic is annoying and potentially lethal, so this will never be part of LTN.
Sounds good to me. I've already had quite a few train deaths. They're far more dangerous than the biters!

Ringkeeper wrote: If you build a new train you send it to the depot with the depot as only destination in automate mode. Done. Rest LTN does.
If I had set up the trains that way they would be in automatic. I placed the trains in the depot as I was building the depot. Since trains by default are in manual all the trains were in manual.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”