How do I make a buffer station?

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

How do I make a buffer station?

Post by mrvn »

I have a large problem with balancing under Angels mods and my iron plate production is blocked by excess copper plates. So I want to create a station that requests excess copper plates and stores them. But the station should also provide copper plates in case (later) there is a shortage. I don't want it to be a black hole eating all copper plates.

But if I make two stations with chests in between, one requesting copper plates, one providing copper plates, then LTN will just drive copper plates around in a circle.

Is there some way to make a buffer station?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How do I make a buffer station?

Post by Optera »

Short answer: no

Complicated answer: yes, with different train sizes or different forces between stops or overly complicated circuit network.

Correct answer: reign in angels production to produce only as much as required.
Going by the problem description any buffer station would fill up eventually forcing you to constantly build more copper dumps. You might as well place down more warehouses for plates or even void chests right at the furnaces

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Optera wrote:Short answer: no

Complicated answer: yes, with different train sizes or different forces between stops or overly complicated circuit network.
Hmm, check me on this.

I would set:

- the copper plate provider to trains <= 3, priority 1
- the copper plate requester to trains <= 2, priority 2
- the buffer requester to trains >= 3, priority 1
- the buffer provider to trains <= 2, priority 2

Then have an LC train for normal copper plate use and a LCC train to fill the buffer.

Does that look right?

PS: How do I disable a LTN station safely? I would like the buffer to only request copper plates when they do block iron plates.
Optera wrote: Correct answer: reign in angels production to produce only as much as required.
Yeah, that is the problem. Crushing and sorting Saphirite ore gives 2 iron ore and 1 copper ore. So I don't get a choice about the amount of copper produced. At least not until later when I have researched and build more complex machinery.

Similar problem to Bobs ores producing diamonds from coal and you don't have any use for it for ages (and don't need enough diamonds even when you do have a use).

dudewaldo4
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dudewaldo4 »

Could you have the buffer's requester and provider be on different networks? That way they wont get schedules between each other, but they will still get schedules with all other stations

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Take a look at the age of this thread you necroed.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Yes, nowadays the network ID mask solves this problem.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”