[0.9.8] Cargo Wagon Inventory Upgrade

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Kellen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.9.8] Cargo Wagon Inventory Upgrade

Post by Kellen »

This mod adds technology to reinforce your cargo wagons, adding three new wagons with 32, 48 and 60 cargo slots. As the number of slots increases, the weight and rolling resistances increase proportionally to prevent this from being OP. For example; with five Extra Large Cargo Wagons and one locomotive, your speed will not exceed 0.18 (quite slow), however you will have approximately 4x the capacity of a standard train.

As this is my first mod, please forgive any errors you may find, but please leave a comment detailing them and I will work on fixing it as soon as I have time.

All comments are welcome.

:)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=005 ... 4551232944
Cargo Wagon.png
Cargo Wagon.png (524.88 KiB) Viewed 12648 times
Tech.png
Tech.png (422.72 KiB) Viewed 12648 times

HoneyFox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.9.8] Cargo Wagon Inventory Upgrade

Post by HoneyFox »

I've been feeling that the wagon inventory is too small for a long time.
Yet this mod seems fair enough that we can trade the speed for capacity. Besides, trains with slower speed is much safer for me to CROSS the RAILWAY.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

HoneyFox wrote:I've been feeling that the wagon inventory is too small for a long time.
Yet this mod seems fair enough that we can trade the speed for capacity. Besides, trains with slower speed is much safer for me to CROSS the RAILWAY.
I ended up dying 2 times already even with my trains with 6 of those extra large wagons ^^

It's NEVER safe to CROSS the RAILWAY.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Will this mod work on 0.10.x version?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Should. I use it and have no problems and when I had some I fixed them already.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Ive never been killed by a train.... me and my car always get damaged to like.... 20 percent.

This is a nice mod though I think the 2nd cargo is most effective as of current factorio.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I think the balance between Speed/Inventory Space is not good as it is, but I keep using 4 of the largest ones in my trains =]

darkminaz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by darkminaz »

just add more trains
my main train got 3 "train?" bits and 7 cargo, does this mod work for the newer versions too? would give me a bit more space to work with

Lone_Player
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lone_Player »

Hello,

It will work, from 9.8 to 10.6 ( all version´s self tested ;) [except 10,4 what i didnt tested because of the 10,4 LogisticNetwork Bug]

but... after the stack sice change ( Ore 64 -> 50 ) the max. loading of the largest changed from 4 X to 3 x ( 3K per wagon )
+ the drawback of the largest wagon... ( Weight: Large Wagon 5500 , Vanilla 1000 ; Friction Force: Large Wagon 0,0032 , Vanilla 0,0015 )
{ can be modified, unzip -> prototypes -> entity -> cargo-upragde.lua ( open with the windows editor ) change the values & rezip

( Tip : have a eye on the folder structure inside the .zip, shoudt be 1 folder then the data, not 1 folder + another sub folder before data )

Summary: Large Wagon Loading Cap. = 3 K. (after stack size) but the train will get really slow...

Example:

a Train of 3 Locomotive´s + 7 Large Wagons will reach before he enters the unloading stop @ the Station [after a long,long... Travel] a speed of 0,75 +/- 0,01
a Train of 2 Locomotive´s + 7 Vanilla Wagons will reach @ the same track a speed of 1,18 +/- 0,01

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I agree that the bigger wagons are just too slow. They are like really really slow. Maybe adding a more powerful train is worth the shot.

TheCardinal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheCardinal »

Thank you for this nice addition, Kellen. It taught me how to create a mod (and/or modify it).
I.m.o. the vanilla wagons are much too small. Your mod improves this a lot but i don't agree with a lot of settings. F.e., I don't understand why science pack 3 would be needed for the upgrades. Neither does the amount of requiered packs make much sense to me. And after all that the inventory size of the largest wagon still is smaller than that of the car.

The modifications i've made are:
- i've deleted the large and XL railcars, only the medium railcar remains
- i've increased the inventorysize of the medium car to 80 slots
- only the first upgrade remains (at 150) and i've removed science pack 3 from the upgrade

Lone_Player
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lone_Player »

TheCardinal wrote:I don't understand why science pack 3 would be needed for the upgrades.
Why Science Pack 3 ? Did u mean for researching it ?

Upgrade itself is;

Vannila Wagon +10 Steel = Medium Wagon + 25 Steel = Large Wagon + 40 Steel = Extra Large Wagon

TheCardinal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheCardinal »

Lone_Player wrote:
TheCardinal wrote:I don't understand why science pack 3 would be needed for the upgrades.
Why Science Pack 3 ? Did u mean for researching it ?

Upgrade itself is;

Vannila Wagon +10 Steel = Medium Wagon + 25 Steel = Large Wagon + 40 Steel = Extra Large Wagon
Yes, that's what i meant. Sorry for the inconvenient choice of words.

GaryP
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GaryP »

Kellen, do you have any plans to upgrade this for version 12?
I'd love to learn how to fix this. :) Someday I'll spend some time on the api.
The error is Filename of mod
filepath\cargo-upgrade.zip doesn't match the expected cargo-upgrade_0.1.0.zip
I renamed it then it gave me cargo-wagon-2 width
No such node. :(

Edit: After watching a really good tutorial on modding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lPNOOVYeMU

I've fixed this. I didn't need the whole video but I wanted to know what I was looking for and how to find what Kellen did.
I won't upload my changes out of respect for the original author, but if you'd like to fix your own copy, you can first rename the zip file, and the file inside the zip to cargo-upgrade_0.1.0
Next open the cargo-upgrade.lua file in cargo-upgrade_0.1.0\prototypes\entity and change lines 25,26,65,66,105,106.
Change where it says frame_width = to width =, and frame_height = to height =
and it runs, but there is a bunch more settings that are in the original entities file in the egame folder. I don't know if they mattered for the new version, so I kept his custom settings and added the rest. Why? Because this should be in to the game. It's a neat idea.

Thanks Kellen for a really cool mod and for indirectly teaching me how to mod. My hats off to you my friend. :D

Eep
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eep »

Any update, or equivalent mod, for 0.15?

Return to “Mods”