[0.14.21] Desync with mod

Desyncs in modded game will be ignored most of the time, until it is clearly proven that the desync is not caused by scripting.
Articulating
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.14.21] Desync with mod

Post by Articulating »

I've tried for a long time to fix this but I could not. The mod works fine, except for a rare desync that I believe is related to orbital ion cannon interacting with another part of this mod. The only mod you need to install is https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Articulating/3Ra-ModPack, which contains all of the other mods. I can't reproduce any desync reliably as I am unsure of the cause. One possible cause is a player joining after an ion cannon was fired. You can find desync reports [here](https://uploadfiles.io/3daf3) and [here](http://www.mediafire.com/file/84d8j11s5 ... -42-07.zip).
EDIT: I believe this is solved. Currently it is on our server so we will see in a few days.
Last edited by Articulating on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.14.21] Desync with mod

Post by Loewchen »

The way to get this fixed would be to isolate the mod/mod combination that causes the issue and find a way to reliably produce the desync, then the mod developer might be able to fix it. The game developers simply wont have the time to look into issues like this one.

Articulating
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Articulating »

Loewchen wrote:The way to get this fixed would be to isolate the mod/mod combination that causes the issue and find a way to reliably produce the desync, then the mod developer might be able to fix it. The game developers simply wont have the time to look into issues like this one.
Posila suggested I post it here. I do not have a way to reliably reproduce the desync, which makes it very difficult to debug.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

There is lot of differences. I haven't localized specific problem yet. The most interesting were different cooldowns of Ion cannoncs in gui in one of the desync reports (It is easier to see in level_heuristic_with_tags), but I don't think that would cause also RNG desync. It also seems some mod GUIs are destroyed and recreated on one computer, but not on the other computer.

You can use Beyond Compare for good binary diff.

I will look at it again later.

elahrairah
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by elahrairah »

Error still happening with 14.22 and 3Ra-AngelBobs 0.0.2

Everything was fine for a long time, and tonight I got Orbital Ion Cannons.

Just a moment after the automatic ion cannon fires automatically with the targetting station, after I hear the sirens, I get the desync.

I don't know that I have any sort of UI panels open, but the server is Linux and the Client is MacOS-Steam, so it could easily have RNG problems.

elahrairah
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by elahrairah »

Orbital Ion Cannon is version 1.4.5

Guessed I could fix it by removing the Automatic Targetting station.
A minute later, I opened the Ion Cannon GUI and it showed two satelites (I have two launched) with different # seconds remaining. Immediately it desync'ed upon opening the GUI.
This is after a proper reconnection of course. Wonder what in the Ion Cannon Gui could cause it ?

I guess I can't use the Ion Cannons at all now.

Edit. Upon reconnection, the GUI is still open, now showing much closer to zero seconds. Immediate desync. I'm trying to reconnect, hoping when both satellites say zero seconds, they won't be able to disagree between the server and client. For now, with the GUI open, it is immediate desync loop.

My only recourse is to reboot the server. This causes the server to load from an autosave, up to an hour previous.

Articulating
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Articulating »

There was a problem with the way that we did event handling which made the ion cannon mod register the same function multiple times, specifically an on_tick function which meant that for some clients an ion cannon would be ready while for others it would not be as the times would tick down at different speeds depending on a few things. I believe as long as you don't launch any more ion cannons then there shouldn't be any more desyncs.

elahrairah
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by elahrairah »

I believe as long as you don't launch any more ion cannons then there shouldn't be any more desyncs.
Agreed. So long as I don't use the mod, there are no desyncs.

Return to “Desyncs with mods”