Uranium Processing Optimised Blueprint

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Uranium Processing Optimised Blueprint

Post by SkiCarver »

Hi All,

I have built this blueprint for Uranium processing I provide it here in case it is useful to anyone, or if anyone has suggestions on how to improve ....

Just add inputs for Uranium Ore and Iron plates and let it run - With a small step to take once kovarex is available.
UraniumProcessing.png
UraniumProcessing.png (2.07 MiB) Viewed 12020 times
It has been built to be flexible - it can be built as soon as you get nuclear processing and it will run until you get kovarex, thanks to an large buffer for the U238. The initial 40 U235 are stored to be added to the kovarex processing when it becomes available.
You can also build it when kovares is available - it will only allow in 40 U235 to the kovarex processor. There is an additional blueprint to add additional kovarex processing - also initially limited to 40 for optimal buildup of U235. - The 40 U235 counter can be reset by adding any item to the steel chest to the upper right of the kovarex processor in the image. - This is intended for use when kovarex becomes available after the system has been processing. Once kovarex is available, set the machines to the kovarex process, delete the inserter on the 40 U235 buffer chest and then drop the 40 U235 on the belt to the right of the chest (as viewed in the image) - this will feed the kovarex processor and allow it to correctly count the number of U235 it has collected for processing.
kovarex.png
kovarex.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 12020 times
Ideally I would like available technologies added to the circuit network so we can do a boolean check on whether the kovarex is available. Add that to the blueprinted machine holding the 'unavailable kovarex process' until it becomes available and the process would be fully automatic.

The ore processing can be expanded by simply copying the existing (minus the first row - the belts are different) and adding them to the top of the stack. Red Belt input of ore can feed the expanded stack up to the level of the belt on the right.

I have included fuel cell manufacture and ore re-processing.

Once excess U235 is available it will;
a) allow the kovarex to fill up to the 80 U235. - I use this as additional buffer for U235.
b) Start producing nuclear fuel

The system seems robust on the playthroughs I have done, but I would appreciate any constructive feedback.

With additional processing;
Full.png
Full.png (2.26 MiB) Viewed 12020 times

Udav
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Uranium Processing Optimised Blueprint

Post by Udav »

Why all players uses the speed modules and beacones with speed modules in covarex enrichment and uranium process?
It must increase energy consumption per product unit.
Prove calculation data if I mistake, please!

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Uranium Processing Optimised Blueprint

Post by SkiCarver »

Udav wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:19 pm
Why all players uses the speed modules and beacones with speed modules in covarex enrichment and uranium process?
It must increase energy consumption per product unit.
Prove calculation data if I mistake, please!
The issue for me is the time to build up the stock required to maintain the kovarex process. To run the kovarex process you need to store up 40 U235, and then that machine will run, the next machine needs 40 and so on. I have 4 machines meaning I need 160 U235 simply to get the kovarex process running at full speed for those four machines.
Assuming the time for the first 40 is the same in each case, I need kovarex to produce 120 in order to fill the remaining three machines. For these super fast machines, that takes the minimum time.

If I instead have more machines, each of those machines still needs 40 U235 to run. With the speed modules, I am getting crafting speed 8 instead of 1. That would mean, for me to have a system with the same U235 output i would need 32 machines each having built up 40 U235. So, the second 40 produced by the kovarex process would take 8 times longer in order to start the second machine .... and the slow processing would need to build an additional 1240 by the slow kovarex processing. That takes a LOOONG time.

It is the build up of U235 for each machine to run the Kovarex process that is the issue.

Once the process has been populated with U235, the slow process will produce the same quantity of U235, but will hold a much larger stock of material. Once you have kovarex running, the power drain is inconsequential because you can run as much nuclear as you want.

I hope that helps.

edited to add; the time to build up the stock of U235 for the kovarex to process is why we put effort in to limit the stock in the machine to 40. the machine would happily hold 120 while processing but that would increase the stock of u235 required and therefore the time it takes to start getting output from the kovarex machine array.

Return to “Energy Production”