Tileable exchanger setup for 2xN reactor

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Tileable exchanger setup for 2xN reactor

Post by leadraven »

I hope I finally did it : precise, compact, tileable steam exchanger setup for big 2xN nuclear power plant.
Here how it looks :
2019-04-24.png
2019-04-24.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4027 times
Blueprint contains 16 exchangers - exactly for 1 full adjacency reactor.
Blueprint is exactly 20 tiles width - 4 reactors. So it must be repeated 4 times vertically.
Setup is penetrated with 4 water and 4 steam pipes - 16 exchangers on each one. Each pipe must start with pump for sufficient throughput.
Full 4-reactor block :
2019-04-24 (2).png
2019-04-24 (2).png (993.9 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Flip it symmetrically for 2x4 reactor block and repeat as many times as you need.

nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Tileable exchanger setup for 2xN reactor

Post by nafira »

It's not tileable at all since you don't include 2 parameters :
  • If you add 4 reactors, the gain from proximity is not taken in account, so you lost many energy
  • You didn't add Turbines which in an 8 core scenario would need around 194 Turbines for 112 Heat exchanger
Plus, you use to many lost copper to conduct heat, you could simply have 1 on each side to make it tileable horizontally.
Plus n°2, it's vertical setup, so with, I don't know, 16 reactor, the benefit would cause a distance problem to conduct heat.

Many have tried, but it's impossible to do a 100% tileable setup. Maybe it's it's 32 cores, but there's a limit

Edit :
This is tileable with a certain limit (12 cores I think, maybe 14 or 16 because you go on the right and permit to cross the line of the last HE)
the ratio is quite simple :
11 HE per lane and you add as many Turbine as needed (19 in this setup), pushing with a pump
Each lane is supported by 2 pumps and a security tank
The whole pumping system is secured with solar and accus, preventing core power to decline in case of overload.

This produce 1.120GW @max and you can optimize it with logic and steam tanks, but I don't care about that.
20190424202243_1.jpg
20190424202243_1.jpg (911.1 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
The bottom part should have been rotated but I was lazy :p

Anyway, if you add lane, just add lane of 11 heat exchangers (and replace non needed by simple pipes). The rest follows.
Last edited by nafira on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

nafira wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 pm
  • If you add 4 reactors, the gain from proximity is not taken in account, so you lost many energy
  • You didn't add Turbines which in an 8 core scenario would need around 194 Turbines for 112 Heat exchanger
Plus, you use to many lost copper to conduct heat, you could simply have 1 on each side to make it tileable horizontally.
Plus n°2, it's vertical setup, so with, I don't know, 16 reactor, the benefit would cause a distance problem to conduct heat.

Many have tried, but it's impossible to do a 100% tileable setup. Maybe it's it's 32 cores, but there's a limit
Whut?
  • This setup is designed for 160MW/reactor (full adjacency bonus).
  • Turbines setup is much easier and it's another story.
  • Yes, heat pipes are a bit excessive, but 1 on each side cant handle all the heat.
  • Setup is tileable horizontally, it was main point.
Attachments
2019-04-24 (4).png
2019-04-24 (4).png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 4021 times

nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nafira »

leadraven wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:28 pm
nafira wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Whut?
  • This setup is designed for 160MW/reactor (full adjacency bonus).
  • Turbines setup is much easier and it's another story.
  • Yes, heat pipes are a bit excessive, but 1 on each side cant handle all the heat.
  • Setup is tileable horizontally, it was main point.
It's not a 160MW/reactor since reactor on sides have less bonuses :
- 160MW for each in the middle and 120MW for each on sides, so 2.4GW not 2.560GW (check by yourself in-game : 200% on sides, 300% on middle ones)
- Turbines are easier indeed ;)
- Heat pipes are still too numerous, you can do better, even if it's tiled
- You have 256 Heat Exchangers =>2.560MW ; but you have a 2.4GW setup : there's a loss of 16 HE

This loss is why I call it (as all plans like this) "not tileable". Furthermore, it's only a 8*N system, since you need to consider that you will expand at 8 core, and you design is made for 8 cores, not 4.

I don't deny it's pretty easy to work with and well fitting, but it's not "tileable", despite being very good.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

nafira wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:52 pm
It's not a 160MW/reactor since reactor on sides have less bonuses :
- 160MW for each in the middle and 120MW for each on sides, so 2.4GW not 2.560GW (check by yourself in-game : 200% on sides, 300% on middle ones)
- Turbines are easier indeed ;)
- Heat pipes are still too numerous, you can do better, even if it's tiled
- You have 256 Heat Exchangers =>2.560MW ; but you have a 2.4GW setup : there's a loss of 16 HE

This loss is why I call it (as all plans like this) "not tileable". Furthermore, it's only a 8*N system, since you need to consider that you will expand at 8 core, and you design is made for 8 cores, not 4.

I don't deny it's pretty easy to work with and well fitting, but it's not "tileable", despite being very good.
Sorry, but I really can't get your point. Tileable as many times as you need.
A little excess in corners is negligible. If you care about it, just remove 4 HE in each corner.
2019-04-24 (5).png
2019-04-24 (5).png (4.29 MiB) Viewed 4010 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

It's cool that this design allows you to get water from the outside. I have considered making something like that. I would have included turbines that are tileable int the same form factor though so that trains could deliver the water between the exchangers and turbines and not have to worry about transporting steam or finding another space for turbines. So I want to see what your tileable turbine setup looks like.

I have a tileable design for 2xN reactor + exhangers + turbines that I can share if you want. But my design can only really be used on landfilled lakes since it has pumps between the reactor and the exchangers. Tested up to 25~ GW but should be extendable to be much larger. I haven't incorpotated roboports (so you don't have to construct it with personal roboport) and radars (I like 100% coverage) in the blueprint yet though. So it isn't perfected yet. Getting water by train pumped in from outside seems like it would make building it a bit easier. But then you also need a tileable train station so you can ensure that all heat exchangers get enough water and building the stations isn't another big hassle that is harder than getting all that landfill and big enough lakes.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

@OP cool design, interseting way to approach it. I think you would need to put more than one offshore pump on each water pipe as 16 exchangers need over 1600 water per second, which is more than a single offshore pump can provide.

I also have a tileable solution per 4 reactors here: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=69428#p425107, using 6 input pipes each fed by a single offshore pump.

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

Have you tried overlapping the blueprint when you tile it horizontally? I have a hunch that you could shave off a column or two of heat pipe between exchanger columns without stifling the heat flow (though it would mess with the alignment with the reactors).

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Theikkru wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm
Have you tried overlapping the blueprint when you tile it horizontally? I have a hunch that you could shave off a column or two of heat pipe between exchanger columns without stifling the heat flow (though it would mess with the alignment with the reactors).
Yes, here is too many heat pipes, but I didn't optimize it for alignment. And I wanted to overkill heat throughput :evil:
Anyway building materials are negligible.

Return to “Energy Production”