My First Nuclear Reactor

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

My First Nuclear Reactor

Post by SuicideJunkie »

I threw the switch on my first reactor today, and I'm quite proud that it worked! :D

There are a few issues, but it seems I got about 270% fuel efficiency (87 GJ of steam out for 4 cells in, possibly some extra steam in the pipes not counted)
I underestimated the water requirement slightly, so it does run out and have an enforced idle/coasting period before the pump can start refilling the tanks for the next burn, but the temperatures don't get above 550 and additional water pumps would make up the difference.
Steam storage is excessive; it can hold up to 400GJ, almost 5 cycles worth but that's fine.
I also overdid it with the heat exchangers; only about half of them are operating at any one time. I think this was a planning math error.
And the thermal mass of the system was surprisingly high; it took most of 8 cells to warm up.
Made a nice control room with economy interlocks (water, fuel, waste and steam limits, plus an external demand shutoff) and status board.
Finally, the water and steam feeds can be plugged in anywhere; it may take some time, but the fluids will flow around all the wings and get there eventually.

Nobody should really want to build one of these, and the steam turbines are not included since this was meant for an emergency backup to my solar farm, but for completion:
Reactor Stock
Reactor with Nixie tube displays
My First Reactor
My First Reactor
Reactor01a.png (4.49 MiB) Viewed 2128 times

Return to “Energy Production”