The perfect OCD compliant nuclear power plant! --- Now v2.4!

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Perfect Reactor Logic? The perfect OCD compliant power plant

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Distelzombie wrote:
xBlizzDevious wrote:Hello! I have just come across from this thread about my nuclear power issues: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=47663

Had a quick look and the system looks impressive and would store steam for more suitable power production. Would it be most efficient - and possible - for me to use a 4x4 reactor setup (with modded inserters for range) and for me to hack your controller logic into that system?

Ie. I can produce 2.56GW, but will only use half of that. Then as I consume more and more power, it will accommodate?
A 4x4 setup would be impossible in vanilla. With mods it would work fine if you find a inserter that reaches the inner 4.
The logic can be used almost without changing it. All you need to do is change the T-value and connect the inserters and chests of the reactors. The T-combinator can be found for easy use in the control section. In the picture of it it is the blue highlighted one.

This setup scales perfectly for low power consumption. You may need to fiddle with the steam threshold T though - to not have brown outs when coming from low power comsumption to very high demand because of heat lag.

EDIT: Remembered i wanted to include this into OP but always forgot. Did it now.
Awesome. Can I remove all of the roboports or are they required? As far as I can see, it's just for expansion, but I don't need that. I have lots of personal robots.

EDIT: Should have mentioned that I will be separating the reactors from the modules from your design. Obviously some roboports are required.
Last edited by xBlizzDevious on Tue May 16, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

Yea the roboports are needed for the logic to work.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Distelzombie wrote:Yea the roboports are needed for the logic to work.
I think I figured out what needs what. Either way... I broke the game.

Like, actually broke the game. It doesn't like a 4x4 reactor configuration or something. I have my nuclear setup on its own power grid with a switch to send power through. As soon as I switched it on, it crashed the game.

The game then updated itself to 0.15.11 and I set everything up exactly as before (I saved just a few moments prior to the crash, thankfully) and switched it on again. Waited a few seconds and crash.

Going to do some testing to see if it happens without certain mods or if it does it even in vanilla. I'll post the results in the bugs reports forum if I can't figure it out.

EDIT: Yep... Happens in vanilla.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

xBlizzDevious wrote:
Distelzombie wrote:Yea the roboports are needed for the logic to work.
I think I figured out what needs what. Either way... I broke the game.

Like, actually broke the game. It doesn't like a 4x4 reactor configuration or something. I have my nuclear setup on its own power grid with a switch to send power through. As soon as I switched it on, it crashed the game.

The game then updated itself to 0.15.11 and I set everything up exactly as before (I saved just a few moments prior to the crash, thankfully) and switched it on again. Waited a few seconds and crash.

Going to do some testing to see if it happens without certain mods or if it does it even in vanilla. I'll post the results in the bugs reports forum if I can't figure it out.

EDIT: Yep... Happens in vanilla.
In a 4x4 reactor design how do you plan to fuel the reactors? I can see this working if you manually drop in fuel but then you can't automate this.
Would be nice though. 16 reactors providing 64 times the power of a stand alone reactor thanks to bonuses.

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

mrvn wrote:-snip-
In a 4x4 reactor design how do you plan to fuel the reactors? I can see this working if you manually drop in fuel but then you can't automate this.
Would be nice though. 16 reactors providing 64 times the power of a stand alone reactor thanks to bonuses.
I have a mod that adds inserters that can reach up to 10 tiles.

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

PMed you about an issue but I think I should post here:

Pasting your "Extracted Reactor Logic" blueprint down and building it causes me to crash to desktop.
My modified version of the full reactor setup also caused the crash so I think there is a circuit network bug that's breaking the game. I've posted in the bug reports forum - link: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47735&p=275371#p275371

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

mophydeen wrote:factorio 0.15.11 changes heat pipe mechanics.

current setup has 1.0GW not 1.1GW?
Youre right. Even worse. Apperentyl heat doesnt transfer as far anymore. I'll test this.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

Diselzombie wrote: Ok let me add to this quote of yours...

1.tick: 1R input from "when O = 1 then R", 1R ouput because the 1R input is < 600
Yes. BTW "when O = 1 then R" is combinator D
2.tick: 1R ouput because of a 1R input because "when O = 1 then R" doesnt output anything anymore, however the combinator has 1R input because of its own output from 1.tick.
Wrong assumption. D does output R = 1 all the time until it is shut down, over detours, by the clock reaching R = 598. Thats why I need a memory cell to store O =
3.tick: 1R input from its own output, so 1R output
The clock does output R into itself again, adding the R= 1 output to its R = 1 input from D - essentially adding 1 every tick
4.tick: 1R input again, so 1R ouput.
Now the clock outputs R= 2 and adds that to the R=1 value from D, outputting R=3 and so on ...

Now if the clock reaches R=598 the E combinator sends an O=1 signal to the memory - deleting it because now the O value is 2 in the second memory combinator - which stops the memory output of O=1 to D and D stops to output R=1 which gives the clock no value to add to its own saved R, stopping it.

But this is the same thing as I said in the post before. Sorry, I cant get more specific. ;)
Sorry for being that inconvenient, I somehow forgot that R isnt just a one tick signal.
Distelzombie wrote:
MicFac wrote:Ok, this is probably my last question: why is the combinator set to output after 9 and not a smaller number?
Meh. In testing the clock sometimes stopped later than R=2 or 5, so i used a save value.
Ok, thanks for answering all of my questions, it really helped, I understand pretty much all of it now :D

Im using the logic in my map now, here is a picture of it:

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

Distelzombie wrote:
mophydeen wrote:factorio 0.15.11 changes heat pipe mechanics.

current setup has 1.0GW not 1.1GW?
Youre right. Even worse. Apperentyl heat doesnt transfer as far anymore. I'll test this.
I build another setup with fewer heatpipes. Still didnt get over 1GW... Its hard to build a good design now. This time its the turbines.

Ok... deconstruct and try again.
427520_20170516231026_1.png
427520_20170516231026_1.png (1.9 MiB) Viewed 7557 times
And again ...
427520_20170516233241_1.png
427520_20170516233241_1.png (1.75 MiB) Viewed 7554 times
Nope...
427520_20170516235044_1.png
427520_20170516235044_1.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 7551 times
IT JUST ISNT WORKING! AAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAA *going mad here*
427520_20170517004128_1.png
427520_20170517004128_1.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 7548 times

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Distelzombie wrote:IT JUST ISNT WORKING! AAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAA *going mad here*
If you're limited by distance from the reactor, then you should be surrounding your reactor with exchangers, not branching further and further out.

This 8 reactor design is a stable 1.1GW [in 0.15.11]. I have it running right now and the outermost heat pipes are stable at 786c~.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

MasterBuilder wrote:
If you're limited by distance from the reactor, then you should be surrounding your reactor with exchangers, not branching further and further out.

This 8 reactor design is a stable 1.1GW [in 0.15.11]. I have it running right now and the outermost heat pipes are stable at 786c~.
I tested it. The farthest away heatpipes only are slightly above 500°C and output shows 1.1GW but some turbines are not working perfectly.

Well, even this isnt at max power. This time its water.
Attachments
427520_20170517020808_1.png
427520_20170517020808_1.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 7527 times

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

Distelzombie wrote:Well, even this isnt at max power. This time its water.
Now that looks pretty. When I first read about nuclear in FFF ages ago, this is the kind of layout I expected to be needed. Looks like 0.15.11 has finally made the change to heat pipes to force these sorts of designs.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

I don't think it is very ocd compliant. I mean I don't like it.
But first I have to make this one work. Just have to throw more water in there somehow.
EDIT: It works with 1.1GW, but uses 48 pumps. :/
Scrap, redo...

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

MasterBuilder wrote:

I like the smaller shore size.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

mophydeen wrote:I like the smaller shore size.
It is actually bigger. It does produce maximum possible power. (1114.5, has one turbine less than p-ratio because its uneven number)

Anyway since I didnt like this one I build yet another one. This should look way better

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

I found a good design and will update the OP in a while.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The perfect OCD compliant power plant! Now 0.15.11 safe

Post by Distelzombie »

Haha I know. That is to be expected.
Should I delete the instruction from the blueprint? They work in the standart rotatio though.

Return to “Energy Production”