A somewhat different nuclear setup - could use some help

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
Case
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

A somewhat different nuclear setup - could use some help

Post by Case »

Hey mates.

I played around with a nuclear setup that can coop with solar energy and came to this solution: (there are still some question - see at the end of this post)

Base Layout:
Base Overview.jpg
Base Overview.jpg (376.99 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
The idea was to use the internal heat storage in the heat pipes as buffer - compared to steam tanks. Also the steam turbines should only work when the network has demand for energy. In the pictures below you can see that every 2 turbine blocks are a seperate energy network and will operate one after another while the demand for energy grows. This works like a level gauge and you can with one look at it see how your reactor is performing (the no energy warnings will come up if the turbines have no demand).
Now I would like to have solar panels for the day and the heat pipes can buffer the heat for the night. Thats what the separate section above the base setup is for. Right now it works very well but I would like to figure out the numbers for the amount of needed turbines - a little help would be very appreciated. What I have so far is roughly 8800 solar panels to 92 turbines - aka 533MW for the day and the night.

but lets see the setup in detail first:
Demand based Layout - not at full turbine capacity just to show how I would use it
Edit: maybe I should describe how it works a bit:
System description
Wire setup - detail
I have to say it is quite the hassle to set this thing up because you can not blueprint energy wires and it has to be set up by hand whenever you change or adjust something. Also pay attention to the energy wire layout between the switches and rows .. I think it could be done a little bit easier wiht some additional combinators but I would not mess with it at this state - feel free to patch in if you have an idea how to set this up better.
Switch one
Switch 2
And just for funsies it is quite pleasing on the map view:
Map view
Piping - nothing fancy here
Example - night usage after solar day
Well I hope you find it a bit interesting and hopefully have some ideas how to make it better.

Questions: One question would be to figure out the numbers between solar day and night nuclear ratios. Another question what would be a good border for the accumulator in regard to decide when to load a new fuel charge into the reactor - I played with some sort of estimations from the accumulator charge level and counted it to 8MJ (one charge) but it was not very satisfying. Also the setup is very precise to the energy need and so it 'flickers' off and on tick wise around the max energy demand - maybe some sort of hysteresis is needed but I'm not sure about this.

Well anyway take care...

Edit forgot the blueprint string: But be aware that you can not use it right after placing because the energy wires will all be messed up .. after placing remove all copper wires (can be done from far - using the options key for removing wires) after that you would need to rewire all copper wires by hand like shown in the above image. (be warned it is quite the struggle :( )
Blueprint

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A somewhat different nuclear setup - could use some help

Post by Aeternus »

Have you tested how this plant handles significant load spikes? Say, a jump from 200mw to 500mw in one gulp - as if a bunch of biters are hitting a big wall of lasers? Such a chained switch based design looks good in theory, but in practise it can be slow to respond to demand. Also, once you reach the point where the load is met, the switch responsible will oscillate open and closed rapidly.

Case
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: A somewhat different nuclear setup - could use some help

Post by Case »

It reacts in an instant .. My whole factory works with energy spikes because I switch off and on fully beconed sections on demand. You can adjust the response by setting the border for Switch 2 ..with A = 99% as setting the whole setup jumps to full load in no time. It works because all turbines have 199 steam in it when they sitch off and can produce energy the tick they get a demand. Like I said it is not a theory craft I use it in my current factory and I constantly try to make it better. The oscillation is something I still work on .. see the question section in my top post. It also depends on the Switch 2 setting. At A=99% it is almost not existent and the Satisfaction - Production bars are both green and at 100%. (but it is still there of course and something I would like to address when I have an idea how to tackle this problem).

Maybe I should make a short video about it .. it would describe and show what it does a bit better. Maybe when I find the time.

Edit: just some numbers:
for the response time - with a setting off 99% for switch 2: 1% of 300kw is 3kw - one turbine can satisfy 5800kw so 3kw are satisfied in 0.0005 seconds which is below one tick (it still needs one tick to respond though). This means my current setup 32rows (aka 128 turbines) jumps from 0 to all turbines on in 32 ticks. It also means it can handle spikes up to 23.2MW within one tick (one row with 4 turbines a 5.8Mw = 23.2MW)

Return to “Energy Production”