Hybrid Nuclear/Chemical, post 0.15.10

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Hybrid Nuclear/Chemical, post 0.15.10

Post by Aeternus »

With the recent changes, my old power plant design (which mixed steam and water as input for the heat exchangers base don demand) no longer worked. So, time for something new! I still want a hybrid design that meets the following demands:
- Can switch between nuclear fuel and chemical fuel, automatically
- Uses turbines for both low energy and high energy steam
- Can be configured to prefer nuclear or chemical fuel. Default: Prefer chemical (since oil is an inexhaustable resource).
- Will dynamically switch based on power plant load. Must be able to rapidly ramp up power production. Should not be the cause of brownouts or blackouts (barring fuel starvation)
- Should not waste nuclear fuel. Reactors should be offline if there is sufficient energy in the system.

Well, that's quite the laundry list, isn't it? Let's tackle the demands one by one.
- Switch between nuclear and chemical fuel, automatically.
This can be handled by a few pumps and the circuit network.

- Use turbines for both steam types.
Again, easy enough to do. The combined steam outputs of the chemical boilers and the heat exchangers gets dumped directly into the turbines. 165dgr steam and 500dgr steam can freely mix.

- Configure to prefer nuclear or chemical fuel.
Combinators can determine this. Since nuclear satisfies the full load of the plant, an override to turn off the chemical boilers entirely is all that is needed. Preferring chemical is more complex, so should be the default.

- Should not waste nuclear fuel. Reactors should be offline if there is sufficient energy in the system.
If a steam buffer is used for the heat exchangers, blocking reactor feeding once the buffer is at or near capacity handles this. Any excess energy is stored as heat on the reactor, heatpipes and heatexchangers.
In my previous design I had a 200 second timer to determine if the reactors were ready for new fuel. Now that the spent fuel cell is ejected -after- burning through it, that event on a latch is a much simpler way to handle things.

- Will dynamically switch based on power plant load. Must be able to rapidly ramp up power production. Should not be the cause of brownouts or blackouts (barring fuel starvation)
Here's where the trouble starts. Main issue is that I can't measure the current load on the power grid. I can only measure that there is a shortage by way of Accumulator charge dropping below 100. But using Accumulators to compensate for 4MW per turbine means you need a ton of those. Also, if the turbines are loaded with 165dgr steam, even switching the supply means it takes a few seconds before they ramp up to 500 dgr. The energy shortage is short term, but it is there.

The reactor cluster:
Pretty simple design, an expandable row that frankly, is tileable to infinity, but after building 12 reactors I found that the heat capacity of the reactors, heatpipes and heat exchangers was at it's limit. My plant draws about 500MW, so 12 reactors is definately way more then it needs - but the neighbour bonus makes adding on additional reactors a good idea, since it reduces nuclear fuel consumption.
The reactor control grid checks for several conditions before inserting fuel:
- High energy steam buffer being at capacity. Means there's still energy waiting to be converted to steam in the reactors, so no fuel consumption is needed.
- Manual reactor toggle. In case you want to adjust some things and don't want to waste fuel.
- Fuel presence latch. This is set at fuel being inserted, and cleared by the spent fuel cell being ejected from the reactor.
- Spent fuel cell buffer overflow. If the spent fuel cells aren't being cleared there's a problem and fuel shouldn't be put in the reactors.
If any of these require the reactors to not take fuel, they throw a Red signal on the red circuit, the fuel inserters on the reactors deactivate on that.

The turbine array:
Pain in the neck now that water and steam aren't the same anymore...
First try: Putting the heat exchangers behind the chemical boilers in a single line, then feeding all that into the turbines.
This means you can't have a steam buffer between the turbines and the boilers/heat exchangers. The switch from low energy to high energy steam to feed the turbines must be very fast. Interconnected steam buffers behind the turbines allow some buffering for them. However, since the energy value of the steam itself can't be measured, the level of steam in the tanks is not useful for determine power plant load directly. If the turbines are stressed while consuming 165dgr steam, they won't produce enough power. The difference needs to be caught by another system while the switch is made. The Accumulator is ideal for this, but it needs to be able to handle the difference in output between the turbine at low energy steam, and the turbine at normal power. This difference is 4MW. Per turbine, you therefor need: 4/0.3 = 13.3 accumulators. One is part of the switching mechanic, so 13 more need to be added -per turbine-. This means a park of 130 accumulators to catch a sudden load difference for every 10 turbines. I don't like that.
Also, with a steam buffer that is shared between low and high energy steam, production ramp-ups seem to go rather sluggishly. All in all, this isn't working the way I want.

Second try: 10 turbines sandwiched between heat exchangers above, and boilers below near the water. Water is always on for both boilers and heat exchangers. Heat exchangers dump into a buffer tank, from which a pump rapidly forces steam into the turbines. From the other side, the boilers dump, via a switching pump, into the turbines too. Since the amount of steam in the system is far lower, the plant switches much quicker. It still limits the plant's ability to switch based on load instantly however. Only accumulator use shows that there is a power shortage. But if the accumulators are being tapped there is already a power shortage, which means you need sufficient accumulators to handle the difference. Which is 13 per turbine again, but only if your power plant load varies extremely (no load - max load switching). If the process is gradual, far fewer accumulators can catch the brief shortages. But the time-to-switch can't be bridged other then by accumulators. Not even separating out the chemical boilers in a standalone plant with steam engines will solve that, as a load spike beyond what the chemical plant can handle would still need to be caught somewhere. Only having the turbines already supplied with 500dgr steam continuously would solve the sudden max load issue, but that would, at present, mean a nuclear-only plant, with a separate chemical plant as primary, which means you've got a bunch of turbines just sitting there doing nothing...

Third try (Screenied): Refined the system from the second try. Added a bunch of Accumulators somewhere else on the main grid so that battery capacity is not an issue. Circuit network switches between chemical and nuclear on conditions. Red signal is made active to deactivate the chemical boilers on the following conditions:
- No chemical fuel available (checks belt inventory): Nuclear power only.
- "White" signal on the green plant-wide circuit network. Signifies that the system shouldn't use chemical fuel and nuclear is preferred.
- Accumulator level falls below 75%. Means the plant is overloaded and needs to switch to higher energy steam. This level is set high since it takes a few seconds for the turbines to get rid of the low energy steam, so the switch should be as early as possible. The accumulators are on a latch, and chemical is switched back on once they reach 95%

Overall conclusion: Without the ability to upgrade low energy to higher energy steam, hybrid plants are still possible, but carry significant drawbacks. A simple, tile-able design seems a thing of the past, unless you back it up with a big blob of batteries somewhere (which I eventually decided to just do). Even then, the system switches between chemical -or- nuclear, instead of having the option to combine them, and the chemical part has only roughly a third of the power producing capacity that the turbines offer at maximum. If power requirements are high, chemical will barely be used. If you prefer instead to make full use of chemical power and use nuclear only when chemical doesn't cope, I recommend a separate chemical power plant with slightly more steam engines then the boilers can service, and a small steam buffer. Once the steam buffer isn't at 95% or above, fire up the nuclear plant. But you'll have a nuclear plant on hot standby that way, most of the time, which is also not efficient...

Share your thoughts. How would you design a hybrid power supply?

Killcreek2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Hybrid Nuclear/Chemical, post 0.15.10

Post by Killcreek2 »

Aeternus wrote:With the recent changes, my old power plant design (which mixed steam and water as input for the heat exchangers base don demand) no longer worked. So, time for something new! I still want a hybrid design that meets the following demands:
- Can switch between nuclear fuel and chemical fuel, automatically
- Uses turbines for both low energy and high energy steam
- Can be configured to prefer nuclear or chemical fuel. Default: Prefer chemical (since oil is an inexhaustable resource).

/snip/
Overall conclusion: Without the ability to upgrade low energy to higher energy steam, hybrid plants are still possible, but carry significant drawbacks. A simple, tile-able design seems a thing of the past, unless you back it up with a big blob of batteries somewhere (which I eventually decided to just do). Even then, the system switches between chemical -or- nuclear, instead of having the option to combine them, and the chemical part has only roughly a third of the power producing capacity that the turbines offer at maximum. If power requirements are high, chemical will barely be used. If you prefer instead to make full use of chemical power and use nuclear only when chemical doesn't cope, I recommend a separate chemical power plant with slightly more steam engines then the boilers can service, and a small steam buffer. Once the steam buffer isn't at 95% or above, fire up the nuclear plant. But you'll have a nuclear plant on hot standby that way, most of the time, which is also not efficient...

Share your thoughts. How would you design a hybrid power supply?
+1 for hybrid power being a cool challenge to build.
I really like how you have the 165deg and 500deg steam pumped into different ends of the turbine rows, seems the best way to mix them and still have control.
Regarding the brown outs during switching problem that you used accus to cover, I had an idea about that:

Have storage tanks for both steam temps ~ but link the chem boilers to only sightly more turbines than they can actually supply at 100% ouput. [eg, If boilers can supply 10 turbines at max flow, link to 11]

This would mean that tank would remain full of 165deg steam while the chem boilers were operating at less than 100%. If the load increases past the point they can cope by themselves, the 165deg steam level will start to drop as the extra turbine[s] draw more steam than can be resupplied by chem boilers.

This gives a nice trigger to turn on the 500deg pumps into the other end of the turbines. I would use a fixed timer circuit for this part, [eg 10sec].
For a burst draw [eg laser turrets firing], it should cover the increased load pretty fast without browning out. [Filling the 500deg steam tank is easy with a burst-output reactor setup, as you have already built, so I won't repeat that part here.]

If the draw is constantly higher than can be supplied by chem alone, the 500deg pumps will keep kicking in regularly as the 165deg tanks fluctuate, keeping the turbines filled with a mix of steam until the load drops back below the chem threshold.
I would add a monitor circuit to watch the rate that the 500deg pumps kick in, so if they seem to be activating constantly that means it is hitting the limit of dual-temp steam setup [as the 165deg tank is not filling up even during the 500deg pulses]. Then use that signal to turn off the 165deg pumps to enable pure 500deg steam nuclear only.

Have not figured out exactly how to step back down from pure nuclear to chem-only yet. Might be easiest to just set a fixed timer [30s? 200s to cover 1 fuel burn?], much like the 500deg pump activation, but inverted for the 165deg steam pump [turning it off instead of on when you want pure 500deg steam going in].

Kinda a shame that it is still limited to chem OR nuclear running at 100% [or a mix of both at less than 100%].
"Functional simplicity, structural complexity." ~ Appleseed

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Killcreek2 wrote:I really like how you have the 165deg and 500deg steam pumped into different ends of the turbine rows, seems the best way to mix them and still have control.
Regarding the brown outs during switching problem that you used accus to cover, I had an idea about that:
Have storage tanks for both steam temps ~ but link the chem boilers to only sightly more turbines than they can actually supply at 100% ouput. [eg, If boilers can supply 10 turbines at max flow, link to 11]
This would mean that tank would remain full of 165deg steam while the chem boilers were operating at less than 100%. If the load increases past the point they can cope by themselves, the 165deg steam level will start to drop as the extra turbine[s] draw more steam than can be resupplied by chem boilers.
This gives a nice trigger to turn on the 500deg pumps into the other end of the turbines. I would use a fixed timer circuit for this part, [eg 10sec].
It's a nice thought, but it doesn't solve the problem I was trying to fix: If load suddenly jumps from ~20% (which turbines can handle at 1/3rd performance with 165 degree steam running at maximum) to 50% or higher (which turbines at 165 degree steam cannot satisfy, even at their full 60/s steam consumption) you're going to have a situation where the turbines cannot generate enough energy from the steam that's in them. If the turbines could operate at max performance even with 165dgr steam, but just consume more of it, this wouldn't be an issue... but the 60/s flow rate limit means the turbine tops out at 1.8MW production on low energy steam. Turbines buffer 200 steam internally, there is also ~1000 steam in the pipes. All that needs to be used up before 500dgr steam is fed into the turbines. This translates to roughly 5 seconds of insufficient power generation at the turbines, which cannot be solved by a steam buffer - because the buffer itself doesn't hold the neccesary energy. Hence the need for accumulators to catch the temporary loss in production while the high energy steam is fed to the turbines.

Basically, it's the small internal buffer of the turbines and pipes that's screwing up the instant switch capability. Switchover time is short - but not instantaneous. There's other ways to fix this of course, but they all involve catching a brief power sag with accumulators, or having additional turbines hooked directly to the high energy steam buffer (which means idle turbines and that's not what I want!). Accus are just the easiest way to fix this problem, and aside from the level latches per array, the accumulator park can be built anywhere that is convenient - doesn't need to be homed at the reactor complex. This design could be made way simpler if there was a higher capacity accumulator (or one that has a higher discharge rate at least, charge rate isn't the issue). Bobs Power mod has such accumulators, called "Fast" accumulators. High discharge, slow charge rate. If you're playing with mods, use one of those to make the design more efficient. If playing vanilla... just drop a whole bunch of accu's on an unused part of your factory - clustering them with substations works well enough. You still need far fewer then going pure solar.
Have not figured out exactly how to step back down from pure nuclear to chem-only yet. Might be easiest to just set a fixed timer [30s? 200s to cover 1 fuel burn?], much like the 500deg pump activation, but inverted for the 165deg steam pump [turning it off instead of on when you want pure 500deg steam going in].
Kinda a shame that it is still limited to chem OR nuclear running at 100% [or a mix of both at less than 100%].
Level based latch on the accumulator tells you when a plant is not able to satisfy the demand.

It is indeed a pity that we can't read out the demand and satisfaction of a power grid - if that were possible, you could mix low and high energy steam by activating pumps in specific fractions (using a timer to measure, and a tank to mix). Say, your desired power production capability is 3 MW per turbine, you'd need steam that was about 270 degrees. You can then mix 2 parts 165dgr steam with 1 part 500 dgr steam to end up with steam at 276 degrees. Turbines should be able to utilize this at near maximum flow rate. Sadly, this means that as power needs increase, chemical power production shuts down entirely in favor of nuclear as a bigger fraction of the mix becomes high energy steam, and the plant eventually switches to pure nuclear (instead of chemical being a percentage of the energy produced with the preheater design of before). This design combines chemical and nuclear, but it does not allow for a chemical-through-heatexchanger type of setup.
But you again run into the problem that the turbines will not be able to generate their maximum potential in an instant, so that design too will require battery backup.
This could be solved with a mod of course - adding a "Water Heater" design copied from the Boiler, but outputting Water instead of Steam at 165dgr, which can then be fed into the input of the heat exchangers. That would allow you to generate 500dgr steam even with chemical burning going on.

I don't see how any design that feeds low energy steam to turbines could meet instantaneous jumps to maximum production, without batteries or additional turbines.

Killcreek2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killcreek2 »

Hmm, yes. That 200 internal buffer in the turbines is the problem point indeed.

The pipes are a non-issue: assuming a direct pump to turbine connection at each end for the 165deg & 500deg inputs [& also between turbines], so the only steam in pipes would be before the input pumps, isolated from the turbines.
But that still leaves 200 per turbine to clear...

If you shut off the 165deg pump at the same time as turning on the 500deg pump at opposite end, would the internal buffer of the turbine closest to the 500deg input be shoved into the next [or further] turbine 1 second later, as all the turbines consumed 60 apiece that second?
That would clear the first [few] turbines of low-temp steam almost instantly, possibly resulting in a more linear power increase while the low-temp steam was exhausted / pushed down to the end of the line [at the now-off 165deg pump input].
Still would have some delay before full power was available, but less than 5sec.

Or does the temperature average out along the entire length of the turbine row?
[In which case, I think we are "an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis".]

Damn, do I miss the pre-heaters already. :lol:
"Functional simplicity, structural complexity." ~ Appleseed

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

The turbines closest to the 500dgr steam inlet get a temperature boost faster then the ones down the line. It does appear low temp steam is pushed down - which makes sense, as the steam is consumed at the turbines at the far end, they try to balance out their reserves with whatever neighbour has steam, be it a pump, tank, pipe or other turbine. So the turbines at the end of the row are the last to fully ramp up. It averages out though.

As for preheaters feeding heat exchangers... Well, Kovarex mentioned in the friday facts that it's an issue, just not one that is at the top of the priority list. Here's to hoping preheaters will return. Even then, it's not easy to make a "max chemical, whatever is left should be nuclear powered" kind of system, due to the 165drg steam just not carrying the energy turbines want. And preheating means that if the output is pure 500dgr steam, over 2/3rds of the energy will be nuclear.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Kay, new plan on the todo list. Steam mixing based on plant load. Based on accumulator level, a percentage of low and high energy steam (each from buffers) could be introduced into a shared tank and from there be sent to the turbines. By keeping steam in the "mixing" tank lowish, the temperature could be controlled fairly quickly. That kind of design in theory can do full "chemical first, any extra power needs add nuclear" once preheating is available again - by feeding both the mixing tank and the heat exchangers with low energy steam. This means the first 1.8 MW per turbine would always be chemical if tuned right. Mixing could be done based on accumulator levels - as the accus go down, more high energy steam is introduced, keeping the system balanced. Sudden load spikes would need to be caught by the accumulators.

It's an idea, but it'll be shoved on the back burner because feeding steam to the heat exchangers doesn't work yet/anymore.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

Can you post the blueprint please?
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

First 2 reactors plus all controls:

Code: Select all

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
Additional reactors, for expanding the reactor amount. Connect red circuit of the Substation to the Substation of the control section, can and should overlap with the control section's left and right substations. Rotate 180 dgr to make the second row above the control section. Design can be expanded as a row as far as the player desires, but in practise, 12 to 20 reactors should be the practical limit.

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
Turbine array. Edges can and should overlap. Green circuit is shared between rows and should be connected to the reactor controls. Red circuit is unique to each row and should not be connected to other rows or the reactor controls.

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
Basic Accumulator cluster with Substation and Big Pole for interconnectivity. Doesn't need to be at the power plant, but you do need a number of these to catch short term power shortages due to the switchover from low to high energy steam being sluggish.

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
The design has 2 constant combinators at the reactor controls. The red signal one disables nuclear fuel usage, handy if you're making changes. The white signal one will disable chemical fuel use. Useful if you've got a a good supply of uranium but are short on chemical fuel somehow. Turn both off to enable the "use chemical until plant load forces nuclear fuel" behaviour. This design doesn't need any special startup - if some reactors have fuel, it'll take the controls a little longer to start their throttling.
The design relies on the Logistics Grid to supply all reactors with nuclear fuel (via the requestor chests) and to remove the spent fuel cells (via passive provider chests). It has no special requirements of the Logistics Grid other then that it keeps the reactors stocked with fuel and the spent fuel is removed before ~2000 of it accumulates. It could be done with belts if a player really wants to, but logistics is cleaner in my opinion - the amount of items moved is very low (2 per reactor every 200 seconds, at most).

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

Ok. Why do you have a combinator that outputs 2k steam into the combinator that reads steam tank?
What does the "Used fuel x-100 = H=-100" ar.combinator? It does multiply way to much. Wouldnt -2 be enough?

Nice! Good to see it can work without a timer. :)
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

The steam thing: It's called a level based latch - I got that design from the combinator wiki. When the red signal activates, the arithmatic combinator adds 2k steam to the signal. This causes it to go red at 20K steam, but only clear the signal when the steam level rises above 22K again. This prevents rapid switching/oscillations. A similar setup is used in the turbine array for gaging the Accumulator charge.

H *-2 could work to clear the fuel burning latch, but frankly, anything to make H fall below 0 does. It doesn't really matter how low it falls. You could set it to multiply by -10000 and it'd work just as fine.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Okay, 0.15.11 broke my design - again.

I'll figure something new out. I'll probably have to separate the heat exchangers from the turbine array and keep them close to the reactor, then pipe the steam over to the steam buffers. The (usable) heat capacity of the heat pipes and reactors has been reduced drastically. Guess I'll do what others have done and add a whopping park of steam tanks, along with some pumps. Tempted to ditch the entire hybrid design though, there's just too many drawbacks to it now with the changes since 0.15.6, I can more easily just toss a pure chemical plant somewhere and use that as the baseline for power generation, with it's own steam buffer, and add nuclear power if the steam buffer of the chem plant is dropping, or if there's a power shortage.

Undecided. At least the reactor control logics are still sound. That part is salvagable.

[Edit] At least with some modifications. Looks like the heat exchangers need to be almost glued to the reactors now, so I'll have to move the controls around. This can be done but, if you want a tileable setup (which is more important to me then hybrid power in the same plant, since I want an expandable plant) it means building a wall of reactors perpendicular to a water source and then tiling out from there. Pumps will likely be needed to keep water pressure up towards the farther out heat exchangers. A significant steam buffer will also be needed. All in all this means building wide...
With an odd number of reactors per row it should be possible to make a very wide row, adding in both storage tanks while keeping rows of heat exchangers close to the reactors. A 2 pumps/18 exchangers /30 turbines grid (~174 MW effective power per row, purely nuclear, and you could put a row on each side of the reactors... piping water is a hassle but ) should work well enough. I'll need to figure out how much energy to store in the steam buffer - using the reactors as store energy isn't very feasable anymore as lower temperature means heat exchangers start to disengage. Here's to hoping the 10GW energy exchange between linked reactors at least still works.

But yea, that's the end of hybrid power in the same plant. Having yet another requirement to nuclear power (short distance between heatexchangers and reactors) just... doesn't make it worthwhile to put it in the same power plant. . A link between a dedicated chemical plant and the nuclear plant is still an option though.

Return to “Energy Production”