[0.15] Uranium enrichment process

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
vasek7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.15] Uranium enrichment process

Post by vasek7 »

Hello to Factorio community. How do you enrich your uranium?
screenshot
screenshot
Uran.png (3.06 MiB) Viewed 36120 times
This is my first uranium processing layout. On the top is uranium ore processed to U-238 (and rarely U-235). In the bottom is the enrichment loop (Kovarex's enrichment process). When the loop has more U-235 than it needs, it overflows U-235 to uranium fuel cell processing facility.

It recycles used up uranium cells. Chests between beacons are full of U-238. It is a relict from the beginning of the proces where I had to produce very much of U-238 to get 40 of U-235 to start the enrichment process.

Once the critical amount of U-235 is produced (together with around 5700 of U-238) whole process needs only U-238 to produce fuel cells.

This layout can be scaled out. When you want to create a critical amount of U-235 more quickly, you can extend the top line of centrifuges to the left. Also, when you need even larger production of fuel cells, the bottom line of centrifuges can be extended to the right.
Last edited by vasek7 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can support my web browser optimized for reading web articles on Patreon.

maurojunior2011
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15] Uranium enrichment process

Post by maurojunior2011 »

Awesome... post your blueprint

arkantus85
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by arkantus85 »

can you post your blueprint ?

vasek7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vasek7 »

Of course, here it is:
Uranium enrichment process blueprint
Last edited by vasek7 on Mon May 01, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Decided to give this a try and I do have a suggestion to improve upon it.

The chest the fast inserter is filling up should be a passive provider so in the event a jam up top occurs, it can fill the requester chest for new fuel cells. This allows you to avoid waiting for fuel cell recycling to provide the slow amount of U-238 while your fuel stockpile rapidly burns up, or when fuel recycling eventually runs out and then the jam becomes permanent.

ttsgosadow
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ttsgosadow »

Nice design! I am using it in my factory.
On top of what Light said above, I noticed that the setup jammed when there was too much U-235. It clogs the input, thus preventing U-238 getting into the system. Not sure if it's because I initially set the wire condition wrong (pulse instead of constant), but when power shut down I noticed it stuck.

Thanks for sharing!

vasek7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vasek7 »

You are right. Thank you for pointing to this issue. I have fixed it. The blueprint in the post above is updated.
Uran2.png
Uran2.png (227.19 KiB) Viewed 35169 times

Chronosfear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chronosfear »

Hey Guys,
this is my Kovarex enrichment factory.
It should be failsave. :roll:
Works like a charm so far.

The 3 chests in the middle of the picture where built to store the U238 to keep the rotation going until I had enough of 235 ( they are now slowly emptied and in the end removed)
The left underground belt is from a centrifuge that works on emptied fuel cells. And the one to the right, feeds my uranium ammo factories.
Some wires were needed to stop the centrifuges from flooding the belts as long as there is enough U238 in the system.
the Filter Inserter below the enrichment centrifuges was and is a failsave to make sure enough 235 keeps circling

Id say its simple until someone can explain why it will die :?:
The only bad thing , is the amount of "dead" U235 I had to slowly come by and is now "stored" in the enrichment centrifuges.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

Chronosfear wrote:Hey Guys,
4 fuel cell assemblers??? How many reactors are you running? I can run 6 reactors off a single fuel cell assembler, probably a lot more than that too as it sits idle most of the time.

Chronosfear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chronosfear »

Kelderek wrote:
Chronosfear wrote:Hey Guys,
4 fuel cell assemblers??? How many reactors are you running? I can run 6 reactors off a single fuel cell assembler, probably a lot more than that too as it sits idle most of the time.

Well, I had no knowledge whats the ratio: so yeah, Its to many , I know :)
But now they are running, I did not want to remove them.

Zehir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zehir »

Hello,

This is my uranium enrichment process. I limit the fuel assembly if I have more than 500 uranium of each type. And I activate the Kovarex if I have less than Uranium-238/19.
I use requester chest to get the uranium ore and provider chest to export.
Uranium enrichment process.png
Uranium enrichment process.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 34300 times
Blueprint
Note: I use some mods but all items in the blueprint is a vanilla so it should works.

zakman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zakman »

I'm using the updated version of the original poster's blueprint, but I am having trouble getting it to start making fuel cells.

I've got about 100 U-235 in the system, plus a ton of U-238. One of the enrichers is working full-time, with another slowly getting up to speed as more U-235 enters the system.

Yet, no U-235 is making it through to the fuel cell assembler. Am I missing something here? Is it just not hitting the critical amount of U-235 yet?

Any info would be appreciated.

EDIT: Ok, removed a belt to get the U-235 to back up, and it started making cells until it dropped below the limit again. Guess I just didn't have enough in the system. I will let it run a bit while I go kill some biters :)

ibeatbabybiters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ibeatbabybiters »

Hey guys, I finally had the time to start nuclear in my factory this weekend. So I tried to come up with my own Kovarex refinement process (without looking at other solutions first, to not spoil the fun) and the result was unexpectedly satisfying to watch :D I posted it on reddit yesterday and I thought why not share it here as well.

Here is the result of my first attempt as an animated gif (warning, its somewhat hypnotic :D): https://gfycat.com/UnevenPoisedJoey

Screenshot of the latest version as of yesterday evening:

Blueprint: https://pastebin.com/8d6gY8bK

And last here is an overview of my first time uranium setup. Worked much better than expected (for sucha a small uranium field): https://i.imgur.com/K7CJoLo.jpg

I don't have any circuitry setup yet, and so I burned through almost all my UR-237 within a few hours while busy fixing other stuff in my factory. I still need to learn this advanced circuitry stuff I see everywhere. On the bright side I have now enough UR-235 to last me for I don't know how long. I have only 4 reactors setup so far and the power output is already plenty for my tiny factory.
Usually I don't beat babies, but when I do I beat baby biters.

timsheff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timsheff »

I guess I'll post my enrichment process as well.

It's been running for hours now with no blockages. The U238 from the enrichment process gets preference. Any extra U235 goes off to storage.

AlexinoYui
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AlexinoYui »

I have build something looking interesting - the Q unit

this is the blueprint:

Code: Select all

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
Last edited by daniel34 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: put blueprint in [code] tags

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

These all seem to be overly optimized for conditionals, kinda like if you made perfectly optimized smelting of iron ore to steel that feeds a group of 4 factories.

Tofuh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tofuh »

I prefer to use chests and logistiks network so i did it without much belt circles etc.

It won`t run out of 235 and just inserts the overproduction into the system.

And it is easy to add more machines without redesigning everything.

BP

justincuster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by justincuster »

ibeatbabybiters wrote:Hey guys, I finally had the time to start nuclear in my factory this weekend. So I tried to come up with my own Kovarex refinement process (without looking at other solutions first, to not spoil the fun) and the result was unexpectedly satisfying to watch :D I posted it on reddit yesterday and I thought why not share it here as well.

Here is the result of my first attempt as an animated gif (warning, its somewhat hypnotic :D): https://gfycat.com/UnevenPoisedJoey

Blueprint: https://pastebin.com/8d6gY8bK

And last here is an overview of my first time uranium setup. Worked much better than expected (for sucha a small uranium field): https://i.imgur.com/K7CJoLo.jpg

I don't have any circuitry setup yet, and so I burned through almost all my UR-237 within a few hours while busy fixing other stuff in my factory. I still need to learn this advanced circuitry stuff I see everywhere. On the bright side I have now enough UR-235 to last me for I don't know how long. I have only 4 reactors setup so far and the power output is already plenty for my tiny factory.
I like it. Though I would like to see the sorting system you have off screen at the bottom. It doesn't need to be a gif.
- Justin -

Return to “Energy Production”