(Yet another) Nuclear Cloverleaf, 4R/480MW - belt/bot compatible, auto-feed, lossless, failsafe (Batteries not included)

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
Theikkru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

(Yet another) Nuclear Cloverleaf, 4R/480MW - belt/bot compatible, auto-feed, lossless, failsafe (Batteries not included)

Post by Theikkru » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:12 pm

Here's my take on the old problem. I've adapted a few things according to my preferences, since I wanted a nice clean setup for starting nuclear power:
  • Clean fit up against a bus (yes I put nuclear processing on my bus)
  • Low cost to build (relatively speaking)
  • High efficiency (respectable neighbor bonus)
  • Auto-start (no priming necessary)
  • Automated control (no fuel wastage)
  • Manual overrides (for debugging/servicing)
  • Deep throttling (can throttle between 0~480MW without loss)
  • Failsafe-ing (handles low/no fuel, power outages, etc. gracefully)
  • Customization (interface at steam/water pipes)
I intentionally excluded turbines and pumps, since I wanted flexibility in how to pipe in water, and I didn't want to invest in 40-something turbines right off the bat (since I run very low-power operations). I've therefore made the water and steam pipes accessible, and as long as 5 pumps are connected to any 2 sides of this thing (see picture for example), water flow appears stable for at least a few full cycles (and probably more; my base doesn't gobble enough power to test the pipe balancing requirements for continuous operation). It's also possible to lop off at least 6 exchangers without loss for further build cost reductions, as long as you don't try to tax the plant above its new power limit (-10MW per exchanger excluded).

I did, however, design and test for all the weirdness that may occur during normal operation of a base (fuel starvation, power outages, waste backup, etc.) and this setup will simply stop whenever a blocking condition occurs, and resume operation normally once that condition is removed. Finally, the logic is designed to start from the blueprint state without priming, so I think I've achieved my goal of set-and-forget; once you hook this up you shouldn't have to futz with it. (See circuitry section for details.)
Pretty picture

The current setup is designed for belting use, but it can easily be converted for bots by removing the belts, replacing the iron chests with fuel chests, and placing depleted cell chests under the long-arm inserters.
Circuitry
To make sure none of the circuitry gets into a weird state during construction, the blueprint is recorded with the manual halt active. Switch the H signal on the constant combinator to 0 once you have everything hooked up.
Last edited by Theikkru on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Theikkru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: (Yet another) Nuclear Cloverleaf, 4R/480MW - belt/bot compatible, auto-feed, lossless, failsafe (Batteries not inclu

Post by Theikkru » Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Blueprint updated with minor cosmetic wiring optimizations, and circuit limits added to fuel cell chests to make startup easier when fuel is scarce.

Theikkru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: (Yet another) Nuclear Cloverleaf, 4R/480MW - belt/bot compatible, auto-feed, lossless, failsafe (Batteries not inclu

Post by Theikkru » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:51 am

Finally did some heat tests, and adjusted the steam trigger to 20k/tank to improve steam buffering and flow behavior. Even with 6 exchangers missing and no steam drain, reactors do not overheat. Blueprint and text in first post updated.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:46 pm

You only have one pipe going from the steam tanks to the turbines. And a lot of pipes between the tanks and the first pump. How many turbines can you power with that?

The reason why I ask is because I think you have too many heat exchangers. It might be the right number for the reactor but there is little point producing steam much faster than you can consume.

Theikkru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Theikkru » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:09 pm

The blueprint doesn't include the turbines; that image was just an example where I was using it and I didn't need that much power (which is why I put in the exclusion lines). As I wrote earlier, you can knock off heat exchangers to save on building costs if you don't need that much power initially, but I'm putting them all in the blueprint so you can repaste it later to expand. The pump is definitely overkill at the new steam trigger level. You can just connect turbines directly to the steam pipes around the edges if you wish.

Return to “Energy Production”