4 reactors nuclear plant without logistic chests

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
fly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

4 reactors nuclear plant without logistic chests

Post by fly »

Just another 4 reactors setup. This is tradeoff between compactness, aesthetics (or symmetry, if you will ;) ) and Logistic network embargo.
Overall view
It's 4 reactors - 48 heat exchangers - 84 steam turbines - 48 storage tanks - 5 offshore pumps (not visible on screenshot).
I cannot think of any good layout for pipes so these are just sticking out from left, right (2 pipes on each side) and top directly to the water. Luckily this plant is on the shore :)
I believe that storage tanks logic is pretty much the same as everybody have. If steam level in tanks is higher than some value, nuclear fuel is not used. Otherwise one nuclear cell per reactor is used each 200 seconds.

The steam threshold is set via constant combinator at the "control panel" in percents and is currently set to 50%.
control panel
Probably I should do some math to set good value here. But I don't know how :oops:
Inner side of the belt is a loop which is supposed to have fuel cells. Outer side is for used cells that can be directed to reprocessing.

That's probably it. Everything I can say about this setup. Any concerns and comments are welcome. For instance, I don't know if my storage tanks setup is good. I noticed that they can have different amount of steam. The difference may be up to ~1000 units. But I don't know if this is critical. Also This setup has kinda 3 segments: 1 upper (24 heat exchangers, 42 turbines) + 2 lower (12 HE, 21 ST each) which do not have intersections.

Oh, and if you want to give it a try:
blueprint
To start it - you need to put one fuel cell into each reactor manually.
Also green light means that steam level is above threshold, yellow is that steam is below threshold and usage of nuclear fuel is allowed and red mean that there are less than 10% of steam in tanks. Again, I don't know if this can be useful, but it looks pretty :)

HuevoPodrido
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: 4 reactors nuclear plant without logistic chests

Post by HuevoPodrido »

I'm going to try it, thanks for sharing!, Will post how it goes :)

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Have you stresstested this one? I've got a sneaky suspicion the water intake isn't going to carry this plant under continuous maximum load.

fly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fly »

Aeternus wrote:Have you stresstested this one? I've got a sneaky suspicion the water intake isn't going to carry this plant under continuous maximum load.
It's hard to recall, but I think I did. And I remember that I used ratio calculation from one of the topics that appeared after introduction of nuclear power.
Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to play or even follow factorio for last 7+ month, so I don't know if anything is changed
Luckily my situation is changed and now I'm going to explore brand new world in 0.16 :D

HuevoPodrido
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HuevoPodrido »

So, after several hours running at 25% capacity works wonders. I know it's a waste, but well, circumstances.
Thanks for sharing!

Edit: For some reason seems water input is slightly insufficient, had to add another pipe. Still wonderful design.

Return to “Energy Production”