I started the base around January. My main goal was to build a megabase with independent blocks, so it could scale over time. I wanted round numbers, so I thought about having 1k spm per block at first. Since that would be quite big and require 3 rocket silos per block, I decided to go for ~333 spm with one silo and rounded that to 5.6 science per second (336 per minute).
Secondary goals I had was a diagonal train grid instead of the usual north/south east/west stuff, radars placed in a perfect grid so they wouldn't overlap, and some concrete art.
- Explosive Excavation - creates water where I want it. I'd say 5% of its use is cheating to not have to transport that as well, 95% is for the looks - including getting rid of all the ores where I wanted to build something.
- Cleaned Concrete - no scrubs allowed in my base!
- Factorio reach - I had to submit a patch because some smelters were more than 10000 tiles from the mall...
- Squeak Through
- Helmod to plan the science blocks - deactivated later
- Schall Map Tag - deactivated towards the end
- Bottleneck to debug the first science block - deactivated when my ups began to fall
- Orphan finder - deactivated after the first science block was done
- Todo List - deactivated after some time
- 10M concrete produced
- 1.4M landfill placed
- 369k blasting charges used to "make water"
- 146k artillery shells fired
- 23k beacons built
- 6k atomic bombs exploded
- 600 trains running
It took me around 500 hours play time in eight months to build, though much of that time was idling - thanks to build site and trash collector trains I could build a set of train stations quickly from the personal roboport, put down a blueprint and then let the bots and trains build solar fields or concrete for the next hours.