Compact 200 spm (0.17)

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Compact 200 spm (0.17)

Post by Khagan »

I think of this as my 'intermediate' or '2nd generation' science factory, with 200 spm (i.e. 1 rocket every 5 minutes) being a natural halfway step between a 30 to 45 spm bootstrap factory and a full-blown 1000+ spm megabase. It all fits in 5 chunks square, including smelters and refinery. Iron ore, stone and copper ore come in from the left; coal, oil and water come in from the bottom, but it would be easy enough to route these around or through the smelter area so that all the raw materials came from the same end.

It's belt-only, no bots, with lots of conventional beacon millefeuille. The high-level design is fairly well organised, but there is plenty of tasty spaghetti locally. It can produce either military or production science, but not both simultaneously at full speed, so if you have an inexplicable desire for really huge numbers of follower combat bots the research rate for that tech will be rather less than 200 spm. The only deliberate caching is of the ingredients for the rocket itself, so that production of them continues steadily during the launch. There is a small overproduction of rocket fuel, allowing some to be tapped off to feed the delivery trains. Batteries are not included - it consumes a shade under 1.2 GW of power; I run it from a 16-core reactor, which can provide about twice that, so there's plenty spare for mines, defences, etc.

Blueprint:
science200.txt
(77.86 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Science200ps.png
Science200ps.png (3.63 MiB) Viewed 4626 times

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Compact 200 spm (0.17)

Post by gGeorg »

Did I miss energy production?
People often say, 100spm but how much power it consumes?

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

This looks like really quite a nice design.

I notice based on the screenshot the speed modules seem to be tier 1. Is that just a peculiarity with the picture itself? If not, would you run into a lot of bottlenecks replacing them with t3 speed? Productivity is presumably all t3?

_Pitr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by _Pitr »

Works as advertised. Exactly 200 spm. Thanks for this! Very easy to connect and run! My plan is to run 5 of them.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

gGeorg wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:04 am
Did I miss energy production?
People often say, 100spm but how much power it consumes?
As I said,
Khagan wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:08 am
it consumes a shade under 1.2 GW of power
which is produced by this:
reactor16.png
reactor16.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 4340 times
(Blueprint:
reactor16.txt
(24.95 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
)
MEOWMI wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 pm
I notice based on the screenshot the speed modules seem to be tier 1. Is that just a peculiarity with the picture itself? If not, would you run into a lot of bottlenecks replacing them with t3 speed? Productivity is presumably all t3?
The productivities are mostly tier 3, except for cracking and fuel manufacture, which are just tier 2 since the pay-back time for tier 3 would be longer than the expected lifetime of the factory (I would hope to replace it by something 5 or 6 times the size after 20 hours or so). The choice of tier for the beaconed speed modules is strictly based on cost-effectiveness: most are tier 2, with some 3 and some 1.
_Pitr wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 pm
Works as advertised. Exactly 200 spm.
That's good to know, thanks.
_Pitr wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 pm
My plan is to run 5 of them.
Mine is to multiply up by 5 or 6 first (there will be some economies of scale). And then maybe run several of those :).

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Thanks for all the detailed info, I appreciate it. It's interesting to hear what thought you put into everything.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Compact 200 spm (1.1)

Post by Khagan »

Now that I have finally posted this design's big brother, here is the updated version of the 200 spm factory. The 1.1 changes to lower tier modules started me redesigning the refinery, and what with one thing and another, I ended up redoing almost everything. The new version is significantly more compact (and even uses slightly less power).
200spm.png
200spm.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1225 times
Attachments
science200.txt
(104.76 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”