"The Strip" - A Design Study (0.17.x)

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Blazephemie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

"The Strip" - A Design Study (0.17.x)

Post by Blazephemie »

Welcome to "The Strip"

It features

- a 250u height restricted map
- ore input only, 600 spm
- fully LTN / Bot managed
- no main bus or such
- no big buffers or storing, whats produced is getting used.
- good ratios overall, rarely any standstill
- quad-turret defense (Uranium Shells, Laser, Fire, Rocket)
- fully automated, requires no player input whatsoever.
- huge nixie-tube readout with all the important numbers

first off - this is not 100% legit, and heavily modded. the map is also specifically made for this base. and its not UPS/FPS optimized in any way
i spent roughly 300 hours on this base and its earlier version, and i enjoyed every second of it.

Screenshots
Screenshots of the full base (may be tricky to view - possibly right click -> view image to zoom in)

Savegame

Modpack (only the important mods included)
VirusCheck of Modpack

storytime:

the general idea was to have a height restricted map, with one double-track train line supplying the production cells of each science, the mall, and uranium processing. with only a rough picture in my head I planned most things on the go, this resulted in a few rebuilds of course...
initially the base had only 300spm as i was not sure how much i could fit in .. at some point i switched the
production to bots and effectively doubled the output, since a lot of space was saved by switching.
with that came a second reactor, some location switches inside the base and more outposts with new designs.
at this point i decided i want to move to a new map. since i wasnt using alien biomes at this time, and the map was created without any trees or water, to ease the pain in the beginning, it was pretty bland looking.
i moved the outposts further out and added a third depot, to make the base more busy and alive. right now, resource-deliveries take about 2-3 minutes, depending on which outpost is chosen. About 20-30 Trains are active at all times.
the outposts will of course resupply themselves with all they need, always keeping a few items as a buffer.
they will send their contents via shortwave-radio to the big nixie-tube display in the middle of the base.
the nixies will show each outpost with its stock of raw resources, and supply items. (unfortunately at the moment, the nixies wont display all colors available with dectorio, so there are a few which "only" use the base color.)
for the base itself there is a readout for overall available resources, science packs and power status.
each number also has a colored light indicator, so if something is missing somewhere, you will instantly notice when looking at the display from map view. there also are discrete alarms for outposts, power (low fuel etc.), and uranium processing. They will only go off, if any item drops to <1 which shouldnt happen.
You can start/stop science production completely with one switch. the mall and uranium processing will stay active to keep the base alive.
if production is stopped, biters may accumulate slowly at the train tracks and eventually become a large enough group to stop and destroy a train. just check the trains for a little while after restarting production and you should be good. As long as the trains are rolling, they will keep the tracks clean.

in this save, the base is currently not running, you may start it at the combinator right below spawn and watch bots and trains dispatch in great numbers. (there may be some initial ore shortage)
or you delay starting it and explore all by yourself without bots whizzing by and around your head all the time.

also check the power grid!

What didnt work ...
Initially, i wanted to implement something like rampant to have a constant threat so the supply-chain has some work to do. but after quite some testing and fiddling with several mods i just cant get it to work the way i want (constant attacks) without having massive fps drops. i have tried to get it to work the last 3 days, while also stress testing the base. but no matter the mod (rampant, extra biter control, night mode, pitch black and some others), as soon as enemy counts start climbing (im guessing roughly 200-300 active enemy units at a time), fps start to drop to 30-40. to me, this looks like the game engine just isnt capable of this handling this many enemies (pathfinding?), as my hardware resources are barely being touched (my system is around 25% load at most while factorio is dropping below 30 fps).
as an unwanted byproduct of this testing there are now a lot of damaged rocks scattered around .. (raging biters i guess? )
however, i uninstalled the mods again, so unfortunately biters are vanilla and boring :(

in general, the base is far from perfect, im sure you guys will find many things i missed!

as for the builds, most of the factory is build on site, like the mall or science productions. but i also used some community-made blueprints, most noticeably the

- LTN station and Rail designs by Odhrean (https://factorioprints.com/view/-KpbH6bzIae1s5eo0g3s and viewtopic.php?f=194&t=47773) (modified)
- Nuclear Reactors by Yoyo Ma (https://factorioprints.com/view/-Kn2afLokZdBO-uHcIAF)
- Uranium Processing by KatherineOfSky (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mRG ... YSm30/edit)
and a few others i can not find anymore. if you recognize your design, feel free to contact me, so i can credit you here.

of course feel free to blueprint anything you like.

TL;DR this base is very awesome. you should look at it. long time.

now, the mods ... i use quite a lot of them. so im going to post them categorized after how they are used in the base.
and ofc i cant say if the save will load for you, if you dont have all of the mods activated, even those i listed as not mandatory.

Mandatory Mods - the base will probably NOT function without them at all
Mods required to work and look as intended
other mods i use in this map or in general

i hope i didnt miss any mods or something big. please let me know if anything isnt working properly.

thanks for reading and checking out my map. let me know what you think about it.

cheers

*edit: added screenshots of full base

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”