The Beehive - 1.35kspm Megabase with 1-1 Trains

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

The Beehive - 1.35kspm Megabase with 1-1 Trains

Post by Teraka »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWOZiN1kaAc

Savefile download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/64o26w7ddc2k1 ... e.zip?dl=0

A few things I didn't mention in the video:

When not recording, on my mid-range computer the base runs between 45 and 55 UPS. This design is definitely not the most UPS-friendly one you could make.
The update time is roughly 6.5ms for entity updates, 5ms for the trains, 3.5ms for transport belts and 3.5ms for circuit networks. The huge circuit network update time is because circuit networks are really not optimized for very slow, very big networks, and my base has 23k lamps constantly checking which color they should be.

The original decision to use only 1-1 trains was made after seeing a gif on reddit of a very small unloading station taking in 1-1 trains to make green circuits (try as I might, I was never able to find it again). It made me realize how much throughput you could actually get from small trains, and made me want to share that with the rest of the community, against the stereotype that megabases require big trains.

The hexagonal cells came much later. The big upside of hexagons over squares is that stackers and stations only require 45 degree turns and never 90 degree, which take a huge amount of space. Making the rail network wider to allow trains to turn around was also a big help in reducing train travel time and station sizes. Also, hexagons are the best polygons.

The base uses 7.5GW on average, with 105MW going to lamps.

The map settings were default rail world settings, minus enemies and pollution for performance reasons and minus cliffs because I don't like cliffs.

I think that about covers it, any questions or comments welcome.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The Beehive - 1.35kspm Megabase with 1-1 Trains

Post by mmmPI »

Waaaa, that's an aestheticly-pleasant one !

Quite a nice adaptation of the text-book perfect grid-megabase !

The train hub/interface are very nice, compact and efficient, nice looking, and it makes it really simpler to understand why they are useful while looking at them. That's so difficult to describe what it is and why they are useful when someone asks you that it feels good to see some super good design like those, they make very good examples ! :)

Little train are the best !

I'm still wondering despite the hexagonal shape, do you call the train, the bees ?, or is it a beehive for robots ?
( maybe you could post one or two pictures just in case :)

Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

Re: The Beehive - 1.35kspm Megabase with 1-1 Trains

Post by Teraka »

Yeah the Beehive name is a mix of the cell shape, train size and the way the trains zip around randomly (they repath a lot when travelling due to the way the base is designed).

I actually posted another video later showing a full view of the base where you can really see why it has this name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNL4CwBcxSQ

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”